Cleaning Tips

Decorating By just_for_fun Updated 2 Jun 2008 , 11:46pm by just_for_fun

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:23am
post #1 of 9

I used some of my tips for buttercream, I usually only use them for Royal Icing. How do I clean them properly so I can use them again for ri? is it even possible to make sure to get it clean? (no dishwasher icon_sad.gif )

8 replies
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:26am
post #2 of 9

I would clean them really carefully and well with detergent and hot water using a little brush and afterwards dip them into white vinegar (make sure they're completely covered). After about two minutes or so wipe them dry with a paper towel.

Ta-da!

At least that's how I'd do it. HTH

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 4:13am
post #3 of 9

I don't have seperate tips for the two things and have never had a problem. I don't have a dishwasher either so anything I use for both buttercream and royal icing are just washed with my regular dish water.

I boil my tips on the stove with water and dawn. I change the water a couple of times until it stays clean, and the tips are cleaned. Sometimes I will use the little brush if I have tips with small opens.

As far as the tip on the vinager, while I have used it myself, Wilton suggests that you do not use vinager with their tips. It can ruin the finish on them. Of course if you don't mine tips that aren't shiney pretty any more...

Deana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deana Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 5:12am
post #4 of 9

I clean my tips using a little trick I learned here on CC...

I put all my tips in my large pyrex measuring cup, squirt in a little Dawn (best detergent to cut the grease!) fill halfway with water, making sure that I've completely covered the tips, and then add a little extra water for added security... then I put the whole thing in the microwave for 3 minutes... then I dump the tips into a strainer and rinse with hot water.

No more greasy tips!

mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 5:29am
post #5 of 9

For the CCer who microwaves... you must be using plastic tips... cause metal ones will not work in the microwave...

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 5:41am
post #6 of 9

You can microwave the tips, even if they are metal, if you are sure they are covered completely with water. I do it every time I use mine and do them where I work at the end of each day. It works great. I do mine just like Deana said. They are whistle clean.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 6:13am
post #7 of 9

I've heard of the microwave tip before. I've never tried it myself, but it's suppose to work. I actually hardly use RI so I usually don't worry, but personally I stick my tips in the dishwasher and if, on that rare occasion, I do use RI, I just wet a piece of paper towel with vinegar and wipe my tip down quickly.

I didn't know that Wilton advised not dipping them in the vinegar. I've heard that tip before from someone else. Good to know about how it ruins the finish. thumbs_up.gif

One of these days I have to try the micro.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 11:07am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy_of_3_DDs

For the CCer who microwaves... you must be using plastic tips... cause metal ones will not work in the microwave...

I clean all of my metal tips in the microwave also. You just have to make sure there is water completely covering the metal tips and you are good to go.

Works like a charm and in 10 minutes I have ALL of my tips that I used clean and ready to dry.

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 11:46pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks everyone for your responses!! will try the mw.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%