Homemade Fondant..

Decorating By caitlinnicole Updated 5 Jun 2008 , 2:33am by caitlinnicole

caitlinnicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caitlinnicole Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 2:25am
post #1 of 15

Are there any certain ways to make homemade fondant?

I looked online at recipes, but I figured I would ask on here and see if there were any special ways to make it, that worked for anyone else..

14 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 2:49am
post #2 of 15

Marshmallow fondant is easy to make (but messy!) and very reliable...it always comes out just the same. You'll see people talking about MMF here and that's what they mean.

This is the recipe I use: http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

I make it in my Kitchen Aid mixer with the dough hook. I think it would kill any smaller mixers, though. I haven't tried kneading it by hand but I know a lot of people make it that way and it works fine for them too.

You can flavor MMF with oils or with powdered flavorings. You can replace part of the powdered sugar (1/2 to 3/4) cup with cocoa powder for chocolate fondant.

kimberlina25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberlina25 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:41am
post #3 of 15

i love marshmallow fondant. It is quick and easy and you if you are not sure how you feel about fondant, you don't have to waste a lot of money ordering an expensive brand. i use the MMF recipe from here. i don't add the amount of ps that it calls for, i just put in half and keep adding until i get the consistency that looks good.
I use the wilton cutting sheet to roll it out, so my counter doesn't get all messy and makes clean up real quick. also, i roll my MMF out on cornstarch, it leaves less residue than powder sugar.

HTH!

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 4:10am
post #4 of 15

I've been using the same MMF recipe from whatscookingamerica web site as Texas_Rose since I took the Wilton course III(a long time ago), and wouldn't use anything else. I knead it by hand as the recipe calls for and it works out just great! The second time I made it it seemed easier, but it worked from the first time. It tastes great, you can flavor it, is sooo inexpensive it's almost embarrasing to charge fondant prices when selling a cake...When I'm making flowers or bows I just mix 1/3 gum paste to 2/3 MMf with perfect results.

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 1:42pm
post #5 of 15

I too have used the MMF recipe but recently discovered Michele Foster's fondant recipe. I find the texture to be a lot easier to work with than the MMF. The recipe for this fondant is on CC in the recipe's section.

CoutureCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 15

I made my first batch of mmf last week and it is the BEST way to go. The other fondants cost TOO MUCH and you can taste all of the chemicals that they put in it. MMF taste GREAT and it melts in your mouth. I will NEVER buy fondant again!!!
I use the same recipe as mentioned in the other post and what is great about it is you can save it in your fridge for 30 days. So I am going to just pick a night to make a couple of batches and save it until needed.

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:18pm
post #7 of 15

Michele Fosters fondant is great and you can find the recipe here on CC it is easy to make and tastes great maybe a little less sweet than MMF. I agree though, have a heavy duty KA for the mix or you will kill a mixer in no time!!

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:21pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsheik

I agree though, have a heavy duty KA for the mix or you will kill a mixer in no time!!

I never use my mixer for making fondant. It is just as easy to mix by hand and it comes out great. icon_biggrin.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:28pm
post #9 of 15

You can even kill a KA making fondant. Someone here just mentioned last week how she was getting smoke from her mixer when making fondant.

Most mixer-users to make fondant leave out the last 2-3 cups of powdered sugar, and only mix the ingredients until they are combined; then they turn the fondant out onto a greased table and knead the rest of the powdered sugar in by hand.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

ericaann79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaann79 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:31pm
post #10 of 15

I use Toba Garrett's fondant and I have tried the MMF. There is no way I would risk putting it in my KA. I have made bread since I was little so I have always done my fondant the way I do my bread...the old fashioned way! Throw everything in a bowl and knead!

hags13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hags13 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:49pm
post #11 of 15

When I make my homemade MMF, it tastes wonderful but doesn't roll out as nicely as store bought fondant. It seems very stretchy and tends to have some small holes (air pockets maybe) in the surface. Is there something I am doing wrong? I have been using Michelle Foster's recipe.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 5:40am
post #12 of 15

I use the Rhonda's Ultimate Marshmallow Fondant recipe here on CC, it's easy to make and tasty too. Although I have been dying to try the Michele Foster recipe, after so many rave reviews...just haven't gotten around to getting the ingredients. There is also, somewhere around here, a simple MMF recipe that is only crisco (for greasing your bowl+hands), water, and marshmallows, it's a great way to introduce yourself to the stuff.

I figure that using a mixer is more trouble than it's worth - since you eventually have to delve in by hand anyway, it's not going to save a TON of time, and then you just have more things to clean up! I do it all in one big mixing bowl: into the microwave, stir, knead, I only turn it out when I'm done adding PS and it's no longer sticky.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 7:44am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hags13

When I make my homemade MMF, it tastes wonderful but doesn't roll out as nicely as store bought fondant. It seems very stretchy and tends to have some small holes (air pockets maybe) in the surface. Is there something I am doing wrong? I have been using Michelle Foster's recipe.

Are you letting it rest overnight? I just make regular MMF and it acts like that if you try to use it right after you make it. I always coat mine with crisco, wrap it in plastic wrap, then put it in a ziplock bag and leave it on the counter until the next day, and by then it firms up just right.

oilili Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oilili Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 10:27am
post #14 of 15

My home made rolled fondant comes out the same as hags13's, but not all the time, luckily enough.

As I can't find a pack of marshmallow just with white marshmallows (often they sell it in pink and white here), I never really do MMF, even though it seems easier to me.

Another problem that I find is that I cannot get crisco here so... I add a tiny bit of oil to get it a bit stretchy, but still this is not perfect.

Like kimberlina25, I invested on a Wilton's rolling out mat and it changed my life to roll it out!!! Not only it is easier to find the right size that you have to roll it out to but also leaves your orking surface a lot cleaner! Less time spent in cleaning!

Otherwise, I do not use a mixer. I start with a big spoon and once it becomes consistent I finish it off with my hands for a few minutes. My arms do get tired for a few minutes though...

caitlinnicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caitlinnicole Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:33am
post #15 of 15

thanks alot guys!!!

i spent about 20 dollars on four pounds of fondant when i ordered it online.
it tasted terrible, so i'm trusting everyone with the MMF..
i was going to make that the other night, but it was already like 1 in the morning, so i figured i'd wait..

seriously, thanks alot for all the tips!
icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%