Ok, Is It Just Cheap Fondant?

Decorating By Acts238girl Updated 3 Jun 2008 , 5:29pm by Acts238girl

Acts238girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Acts238girl Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 12:08am
post #1 of 17

I use Wilton fondant (newbie here - sorry!) but I'm not sure if it's the fondant, or me, because almost every cake I make the fondant stretches and then rips on the side. I've tried different thicknesses, adding flavoring, letting it dry a bit - I'm sort of at a loss here! Maybe it's the fondant? Any ideas out there?!

16 replies
tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 12:12am
post #2 of 17

Wilton fondant is not great. Try Satin Ice. Also, I roll my fondant out a bit thicker, and I roll it out on a mat lightly rubbed with shortening (versus cornstarch or powdered sugar). The shortening helps the fondant stay pliable and resist tearing. So does the thicker roll out.

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 12:15am
post #3 of 17

wilton fondant sucks BUTT! it smells like chemicals, tastes like crap, its HARD & dry when you take it out of the "alledged" air-tight packaging. it's not you dear, it's the wilton fondant. i use satin ice too and i LOVE it. i've made my own MMF but wasn't crazy about the taste (it's ok, just not what i'd expect on a "fancy" cake) and i've got Michele Foster's recipe from this site and i'm gonna give it a try.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 12:40am
post #4 of 17

I'm opposite here. I'm not anti Wilton and actually don't mind their fondant. I actually think it is a great texture to work with while you are learning.

Roll your fondant a little thicker. Also after you drape the fondant, before you start smoothing it, take a minute and cut all the bulk of the excess fondant that is hanging down below your board. I usually cut off anything over 1/2 below the board. That fondant hanging is going to pull and can rip the sides or top corner of your cake.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 12:57am
post #5 of 17

While I don't like to eat Wilton fondant, I do find it easier to work with than other, softer brands - especially when I was just starting out. Try something else and see if that helps, but I think you will find it more difficult. You probably just need more practice with the Wilton, then after you have that down work your way into other, tastier brands.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 12:58am
post #6 of 17

I agree that Wilton is a "heavier" fondant to learn with. I still use it if I need to make small decorations on a cake. I don't use it any more to decorate cakes with though...Satin Ice or Fondx for me

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 1:08am
post #7 of 17

I found Wilton easy to work with, it was my first fondant, though it tasted nasty (not counting the time I opened a box, and in each pkg was a hard rock and a gooey paste on it). mmf was very difficult to work with, Satin Ice is the best, it was the only time I actually got to smooth out fondant on a cake.

Marina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marina Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 1:09am
post #8 of 17

tracey1970

Quote:
Quote:

Also, I roll my fondant out a bit thicker, and I roll it out on a mat lightly rubbed with shortening (versus cornstarch or powdered sugar).

How thick do you normally roll it out? I think I roll mine out too thin, too. Any advise on this, anyone?

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 1:10am
post #9 of 17

Try Michele Foster's Delicious Fondant recipe from this site, it's easy to work with and much tastier than any other fondant I've tried. if you want pre-made, try Fondx.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 1:30am
post #10 of 17

I tried Michele Foster's fondant recipe and it worked out fine. It was a little hard to work with at first, but my second, third, fourth, etc. batches were really easier. I put Creme Bouquet flavoring in my recipe and it tasted very good (icon_cool.gif on a scale of 1 to 10 in the fondant taste test. (Whoever comes up with a fantastic fondant flavor combo will be a genius!)

Here is the situation that arose this past week... I was making huge red fondant bows for a graduation cake and made 14 of them, in case some broke... well, all but four broke when I removed them from the PVC pipe upon which they were drying... they dried for four days and I thought for sure they would come out perfect! The ones that did not break did come out great, so I made a four-bow ribbon... best I could do... does someone have an idea how to remove the fondant without breaking... my swirlies did ok for the most part, but a few were stubborn.

What is the trick to success on this?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 9:00pm
post #11 of 17

I mix 50/50 fondant - gumpaste or ad tylose to the fondant to help it dry harder and I lay the loops on their sides to dry (they strecth when they hang on something and can stick).

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 10:24pm
post #12 of 17

I roll out my fondant maybe 1/4" (I'm not great eyeballing with measurements). I've had fondant tear when I rolled it too thin.

lutie Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 10:34pm
post #13 of 17

Thanks, Tiggy2, for your suggestion. I mixed Fixodent in with mine and they were really stiff... they did not stretch, but boy, did they crack in removal. I think I should have greased the PVC pipe... I thought that since there was some Crisco in the fondant it would not stick, but apparently not.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:10am
post #14 of 17

I would grease the pvc pipe or atleast dust it. I usually use dowel rods for my bow loops. After I put them on there, I come back every now and then and lift them or move them around a little to make sure they are not sticking.

lutie Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 12:04pm
post #15 of 17

Yes, TexasSugar, I also used dowels for the swirlies I was also putting on the cake... they broke when I was pulling them off (even after loosening them periodically)... apparently, I was not loosening them enough times. I did not loosen the ones on the PVC pipe, so next time, I will dust the PVC pipe. Thanks for the info... we all need help along the way icon_rolleyes.gif

azureblu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azureblu Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:50pm
post #16 of 17

What I fail to understand is why Wilton dose not change the formula for the fondant icing?? You would think they'd get a clue and keep the decorators happy...Happy decorators buy more icon_lol.gif Or maybe they just don't care? icon_sad.gif

Acts238girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Acts238girl Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 5:29pm
post #17 of 17

Thank you so much! I looked on Satin Ice's website - but no prices?? Anyway - I tend to roll it out thicker (1/8th - 1/4 of an inch), but when we were working on this Strawberry Shortcake Cake, her dress was ripping. She was verticle, and maybe the fondant was to thick. Hmmmm.....well anyway - thanks for the advice. I'll post pictures of her soon!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%