Get "flames" On A Cake Using Diff Colored Icing?

Decorating By SueW Updated 1 Jun 2008 , 10:57pm by dandy207

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 31 May 2008 , 5:14pm
post #1 of 7

I am doing a firetruck cake right now and wanted to do the border to look like flames in red,orange and yellow. How do I do that? What tip do I use? Do I stripe the icing bag? Ahhhhh please help the FBCT is in the freezer so I am almost ready for my border icon_eek.gif and I am not sure how to do it.

Thanks so much!
SueW

6 replies
Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 31 May 2008 , 6:02pm
post #2 of 7

Cut a fire shape out of cardboard and use the Wilton color food sprays, red and yellow. Start with red but try to just spray the top of the flames, next spray the bottom and centre with yellow but make sure the spray is only pointed at the bottom, the blend of the yellow and red in the middle will give you the orange you need. You may want to practice on paper first. Make sure to spray in light strokes.

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 31 May 2008 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 7

Here is a cake I made using a large leaf tip for the flames. I just used separate bags for each color but you could stripe your bag or use two colors together at a time. Good luck.
LL

SHADDI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHADDI Posted 31 May 2008 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 7

i have done flame before for a darth vader cake what i did was use yellow icing and stripe the inside of the icing bag with 2 red and 2 orange gel icing color stripes it came out great but you would have to re-stripe very time you refill the bag to get a good even look all around..

i hope that help.....

another thing is don't fill the bag with to much icing.
i did that filled the bag to the top and by the time i got to the middel of the bag the icing gel stripe color had faded away so i had to take all the icing out and re-stripe the bag and refill.

shaddi

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 31 May 2008 , 7:57pm
post #5 of 7

here's one I did using buttercream by striping the bag......
LL

ibteana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibteana Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 10:34pm
post #6 of 7

I did a flame cake it was rather easy. I filled my bag with red icing on one side and yellow on the other, using a leaf tip made flames that stood straight up. Some were red,yellow, orange and all combinations of the colors togher. It looked really cool and was simple to do.

dandy207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandy207 Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 10:57pm
post #7 of 7

I did a flame border on the transformers cake in my photos, I used a star tip and just layered the colos. It wasnt perfect but looks good in the end.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%