Do You Sell Cakes Before Getting Legal In Home Kitchen?

Business By lsienna Updated 31 May 2008 , 5:15pm by kelleym

lsienna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsienna Posted 31 May 2008 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 2

well, wouldn't you know it. So I have been told Massachusetts bakers are able to bake out their home but - no- oh no, not in my town. I just found out from our inspector my town does not allow it. You must have a seperate kitchen and it must be a commercial kitchen which can be an addition or off the mian house. The funny thing about that is here in my town of Methuen, MA, the building inspector will not allow this because we are not zoned for this as I live in a residential area! Argghh!!!

Anyways, what did you guys do when starting out? I read alot on CC statements like "I just got legal" etc. So what does this mean? Where you in business anyways, working under the radar so to speak selling cakes say to family and friends?

I wouldn't mind renting somewhere but that's tough when I have no client base at all. I would prefer to work out of my kitchen first for experience and getting my name out there first before I take on monthly overhead. But if I am not legal, I imagine that is taking quite a chance or is it? Any tips on how to get started? What did you guys do in the same situation?

Much appreciated,

lsienna

1 reply
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 31 May 2008 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 2

Here's a thread that may be of interest to you:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-588621.html

thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%