Tornado Hits Indpls

Lounge By indydebi Updated 4 Jun 2008 , 7:02pm by busymom9431

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 May 2008 , 6:00am
post #1 of 7

I got a call at 1:00 a.m. from the mom who is scheduled to pick up a 12x18 grad cake tomorrow (Sat). She is canceling because her house was hit by a tornado tonight! She lives only 5 minutes down the road from me! They were in the house, but in the basement.

We were unable to sleep .... all power went out in the area, including Walmart and the KRoger strip mall ..... so we were sitting around with windows open for air ... when we could ... it would start blowing hard rain and we'd have to shut them. Anyway .... we listened to sirens running ALL. NIGHT. LONG. So I told her "With all the sirens running all night, I'm sure the fire dept will appreciate a donated cake." She sounded almost relieved that the cake wouldn't go to waste ... she thanked me for doing that.

OH..... and I have a wedding to cater on Saturday afternoon! I bet the bride is SO relieved she decided to get married on Saturday instead of Friday! And *I* am relieved the power is on! (I was a little worried on how I was going to cook meatballs on the grill!)

6 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 31 May 2008 , 6:04am
post #2 of 7

I hope I speak for all of us when I say I am so glad you made through ok. As bad as all of the tornadoes have been, it is amazing there have been so few deaths. So much destruction is hard to believe.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 31 May 2008 , 12:57pm
post #3 of 7

I am so glad to hear everything is going good in Indianapolis, it could have been so much worse.

Parkersburg, IA and New Hampton, IA were hit last Sunday with an F5 and it destroyed at least half of Parkersburg. There were 5 deaths the day of the tornado, and at least 2 more have died since then in the hospital. It is just crazy, people were actually sucked up out of the basements (where else are we suppose to go if that is suppose to be the safest place?)

Glad to hear your firemen will be getting a special treat, I am sure it will be well received!

And you mean you aren't a magician and can just snap your fingers and cook those meatballs? icon_lol.gif

cookingfor5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookingfor5 Posted 31 May 2008 , 4:55pm
post #4 of 7

Tornados are horrible. I hope for the best, but was just missed by one myself. We ran downstairs as the roof across the street went flying in the air. I know basements are the safest place, but it seems to be a lot about luck. We didn't even hear the sirens that had been going off for 30 minutes.

Deb, I think that is wonderful that you donated the cake. It is so hard on a community when you get hit by such a tragedy. Just being able to go on with the wedding will be a big deal I am sure. Good Luck today!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 31 May 2008 , 5:20pm
post #5 of 7

Sure hope things are going all right for all of you. It is amazing how tornadoes skip one, demolish another, just so random and so destructive at the same time.

Scary times for you all! It seems like no warnings are awful, just all of a sudden you are hit!

CambriasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CambriasCakes Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 7:26am
post #6 of 7

I heard about the tornadoes and immediately thought of you Deb! I'm glad to know you're ok.
And thank you for donating that cake to your local fire deptartment. My husband is a fire fighter and it warms our hearts when good people like you bring in treats of any kind. It's good to know our husbands, brothers, sons, etc....are appreciated!!

busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 7:02pm
post #7 of 7

I hope the wedding went well and I am sure all of the firefighters had happy bellys! You are so wonderful to think of others in a hard time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%