Ugliest Gradcake Ever....

Decorating By lukiesmommy Updated 1 Jun 2008 , 6:27pm by Kandy4283

lukiesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lukiesmommy Posted 31 May 2008 , 4:49am
post #1 of 21

New to the forum here....

I had to make this graduation cake tonight. NOTHING went right and I hate the cake...
LL

20 replies
lukiesmommy Posted 31 May 2008 , 4:51am
post #2 of 21

I cant get the side view to post... Urg

Thanks I use the paper towel technique......It NEVER fails!

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 31 May 2008 , 4:52am
post #3 of 21

Awww, I'm sorry you had a hard time. But it looks good! You have some super duper smoothing technique going on. icon_smile.gif

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 31 May 2008 , 5:21am
post #4 of 21

It looks cute..... what is on his face?

I know it isn't yours pic but I love the crooked tie!

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 31 May 2008 , 5:22am
post #5 of 21

Your cake looks good, we are our own worse critics. Your borders are good, the smoothing is awesome. Sometimes when you stare at something for so long you start not to like it. That usually happens to me when I am tired.

Keep on making cakes we all get better with time.

I plan my cakes with my sketch and the colors and my ideas on how to do it. Then Post cake I write up what I did that I liked and did not like as I make my cakes and what I would do different.

This has really helped what I do and how I do it. That is how you improve the things you dont like and keep on doing and improving the things you do like.

Good Luck

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 31 May 2008 , 5:32am
post #6 of 21

The only negative thing I can see is that the handwriting looks a bit young, other than that I think this is a nice, celebratory cake! I think you're being way too hard on yourself and I'm sure the recipient will (or did) love it!

YouCaterer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YouCaterer Posted 31 May 2008 , 5:44am
post #7 of 21

Look at how smooth the frosting is! I'm jealous!! thumbs_up.gif

lukiesmommy Posted 31 May 2008 , 5:47am
post #8 of 21

My writing is my challenge too... I have a famlier tremor that gives me some problems. I edited the picture to cover the face... One of the other forums im on wont allow you to post peoples faces. It is for an 8th grade graduation.

Thanks for your comments everyone.... Makes me feel a bit better

M

edith123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edith123 Posted 31 May 2008 , 5:49am
post #9 of 21

It looks good! icon_biggrin.gif and remember practice makes perfect!

lukiesmommy Posted 31 May 2008 , 2:58pm
post #10 of 21

Well Update.... The Mom just came and picked up the cake. She was very happy with it. So as long as she liked it thats all that matters right? I only asked 30$ for it and she gave me 40$.

Whew!!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 31 May 2008 , 3:17pm
post #11 of 21

Congratulations! All that worry for nothing. lol

Oh, just so you know (meant to say this earlier, but forgot), CC has a policy that no faces appear in cake photos, UNLESS, they are on the cake and part of the cake's design.

So if your cake has a person's face/photo on it, you don't have to blur it out. If your cake is being held by someone in the photo you're using, then that person's face needs to be blurred or blocked.

Hope that helps. icon_smile.gif

jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 31 May 2008 , 3:24pm
post #12 of 21

I think it looks good. I am glad the customer was pleased. You really did do a good job.

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 31 May 2008 , 3:34pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

....So if your cake has a person's face/photo on it, you don't have to blur it out. If your cake is being held by someone in the photo you're using, then that person's face needs to be blurred or blocked.
Hope that helps. icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the distinction. I haven't posted any because I thought we weren't allowed.

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 31 May 2008 , 3:46pm
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukiesmommy

My writing is my challenge too...

Girl please, I have seen writing that was WAY worse than yours...SERIOUSLY....not bad looking at all! Your cake is awesome. So glad your client was pleased. That is what matters in the end. Good work!

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 31 May 2008 , 4:20pm
post #15 of 21

I think it looks awesome (as apparently did you client $10 tip on a $30 cake is awesome!). My writing gives me trouble, too and I think I'm going to start making gumpaste plaques or using cutters to cut words out of fondant.

Kandy4283 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandy4283 Posted 31 May 2008 , 5:55pm
post #16 of 21

I think this looks great! I am sorta new at cake central as well....well I have been here for awhile, and have been doing cakes for awhile, but really never posted until recently and we are our own worst critics!! It looks great! Don't sweat it!

nefcook21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefcook21 Posted 31 May 2008 , 6:09pm
post #17 of 21

This is not the worst cake ever----believe me! My wrtiting is a challenge too. Usually by the time I'm finished with a cake I'm tired of looking at it and can find nothing good about it. icon_surprised.gif But then the client comes to pick it up and if I get a good response then I'm happy. icon_lol.gif

I think your cake looks great! icon_biggrin.gif

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 31 May 2008 , 6:17pm
post #18 of 21

Well done to you Lukiesmommy! I am very impressed that you kept going despite all the problems and produced a good cake. I also cannot pipe anything to save my life but I've picked up a couple of tips from CC which have been a great help. I either use the cut out letters (FMM do some called Tappits) which I stick on the cake or emboss the writing on BC or fondant and pipe over it. I'm also going to try placing saran wrap over some print and piping over it (a tip I got from Sugarshack). So again, well done to you for a job well done!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 4:56pm
post #19 of 21

Honey I just posted in this forum.. MY grad cake is the ugliest ever lol..

I really like yours .. at least it doesn't look lopsided lol.. Very nice icon_smile.gif

ccbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccbakes Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 5:22pm
post #20 of 21

Awesome job!!!

Kandy4283 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandy4283 Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 6:27pm
post #21 of 21

Dont be so hard on yourself! You did a great job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%