Please Post Your Best Doll Cake!

Decorating By idali Updated 24 Jun 2008 , 3:38pm by jennicita

idali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idali Posted 30 May 2008 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 20

I recieved an order for a sweet 16 tiered cake for twin girls. The design they chose includes 2 doll cakes. I have not attempted these before and would like to obtain some ideas as far as the decoration of the actual cake and the bodice. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

IC icon_biggrin.gif

19 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 30 May 2008 , 10:13pm
post #2 of 20

check this site out...it has a tutorial on how to make a doll cake. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

SusieHazCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SusieHazCakes Posted 30 May 2008 , 10:26pm
post #3 of 20

Well, I'm not sure if you're really wanting an actual doll cake or information about the dress and bodice. I JUST did a dress cake last weekend -- my first -- and it was too fun. Someone else requested instructions. If you'd like them, let me know and I'll send them to you. Here's the cake: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1226324.
Susie

justgale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justgale Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 2:03am
post #5 of 20

funny I didn't see this post earlier. If you go to the galleries and type in doll it will bring up 19 pages of ideas. ( I know I looked through all of them earlier today) Do the girls have a favorite color they want you to do the cakes in? Think about if they like lots of lace and ruffles and girly, girly stuff? I was thinking about doing one for each month of the year. Personaly I love fairies and Renesance fairs so I was going to try to fashion my cakes along thoese lines. Didn't see to many of the renesance dresses in the gallery though. Wilton has a holiday book that has a full size template in the back for making an underdress, over dress, cape and hood. Definetly going to have to try that out one of these days. Anyway good luck with this. Post pictures with whatever you come up with.

1nanette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1nanette Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 4:09am
post #6 of 20

I've done 2 that I really liked. Both are in my photos. My favorite is the red one. I made it for a Sweet 16 party. It was to match the birthday girls dress The other is pink which was for a 4 year olds birthday.

marie92001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marie92001 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 1:52am
post #7 of 20

Hi newbie here! haha!
I was looking around at the doll cake ideas and found this! WOW there are so many wonderful cakes! I hope when i make my first doll cake it comes out as great as some of these!

I am sorry for the stupid question but i have seen people post how they have cakes in "their" photos. Can someone tell me how to view other members photos?
Thank you kindly!!
Donna

diane Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:50am
post #8 of 20

it's right under their message...just click on the photo link on the bottom. it will take you to their photos. thumbs_up.gif

marie92001 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 10:44am
post #9 of 20

Thank you Diane but all the links under everyones name is grey and not lit up?

jennicita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicita Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 11:15am
post #10 of 20

I just did my first one this weekend and was really happy with the result. They're so much fun! Maybe you could get some ideas from her? She's in my pics.

icon_smile.gif

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 11:18am
post #11 of 20

once you put your mouse on them they light up and you can click them.

sweet_T7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_T7 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 11:20am
post #12 of 20

Hi I just uploaded a coolage of the doll cakes I've done....My favorite is in the middle but I also love the 1st communion one. I have used stainless bowls, the 'doll pan' and finally just started carving the skirts from rounds, as I like the look! icon_lol.gif Hope this helps

sweet_T7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_T7 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 11:21am
post #13 of 20

LOLOLOL okay..maybe some of them are COOL but I meant collage hahaha...lordy it's early

marie92001 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 11:27am
post #14 of 20

I love the pink barbie cake but can you explain to me how you did the pink part on her chest and skirt?
Thank you mellormom!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 11:44am
post #15 of 20

I just did this one for a graduation... it was a BIG hit... I had the "graduate " on a turn table, so she was the hit of the desert table ! LOL!
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1227788

jessi01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessi01 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 11:55am
post #16 of 20

the only one I have done has been a dress, but it easily could have been a doll had I not cut the head off! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1188625.html

jennicita Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:43pm
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie92001

I love the pink barbie cake but can you explain to me how you did the pink part on her chest and skirt?
Thank you mellormom!

marie92001,
You mentioned mellormom here but I see she doesn't have a pink barbie cake. Since my post was right above, did you mean mine?
Let me know and I'd be happy to try to help. icon_smile.gif

marie92001 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 2:40pm
post #18 of 20

jennicita
YES! Sorry i was not more clear!
I would love to try one but need a little help!
TYVM!
Donna

jennicita Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:19pm
post #19 of 20

Thanks for the compliment! icon_biggrin.gif

For the bodice I simply took a small piece of cloth and held it up to the barbie, cut a neckline and eyeballed the rest of it based on the neckline I wanted (including the dropped waist - the seam is under the twisted rope). I added some extra on each of the sides to allow for the back. I used the pattern to cut out the fondant, put a little vodka on the back and pressed it onto barbie's oh-so-perfect bod. icon_wink.gif I ended up having to take a little away from under the arms and stretched the sides so they met in the back. You can't see it but I also have some buttercream buttons running down the seam in the back.

That was the easy bit. The skirt was harder to handle. The white part is just a triangle of embossed fondant (you can see some of the edges - one of the things I have to work on). I also put on some of those "tapered logs" (explained on the Wilton site at http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/add_pans/classicwondermolddollcake.cfm ) to give the skirt a fuller, more natural appearance.
To cut the pink, I first measured the size (floor to waist times 2) and rolled out a circle with a slightly larger diameter. If you use the wilton mat, you can cut out a perfect circle following the mat's lines. I used a shot glass to punch out a hole in the center. You need about 2/3 of the circle. Starting from the punched out hole, cut 2 straight lines to the edge so that you can get rid of the 1/3 you don't need. With the remaining 2/3, round off the sharp bottom corners to get the desired curve of the skirt. You should end up with something that looks like a mutated, rounded B or maybe a heart with a rounded point and hollow center. Kind of. Very carefully (I rolled it out on crisco to make sure I wouldn't have any problems) lift it up and position it around Barbie's hips. It won't fit exactly but you can take an exacto knife and do the fine tuning from there.

I hope I explained that right! There may be a better way but I'm pretty new at fondant and this was my first attempt at one of these. It worked for me so I must have been doing something right! icon_smile.gif

Let me know if you need anything else. I'd love to see how your twins turn out!!!

Good luck!

jennicita Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:38pm
post #20 of 20

Oops! I forgot something! I also gave Barbie a little extra roll of fondant around the hips to smooth out the transition from doll to dress.
Put that on first!
(even Barbie gains weight at my house!)

icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%