I'm A Dork....but Who Of Us Isn't? ;)

Decorating By ccr03 Updated 6 Jun 2008 , 6:51pm by bakincakin

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 30 May 2008 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 51

Okay, so once again, I'm bored at work (I'm a receptionist and the phone has rang MAYBE 10 times all day - thank goodness for CC).

Anyway, during lunch I went to HL and figured I'd pick up some flowers and ribbon so I can 'decorate' dummies this weekend since I don't have any real cakes. Well, as I'm thinking of ideas, I start to think how I would like my own wedding cake - even though I am no where near that point.

So now my question, how would you like your wedding cake? Or how would you change your wedding cake, if you are already married? Would you do something fun and outrageous or classic and traditional??

I figure this can be our little game for the day! icon_wink.gif

50 replies
Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 30 May 2008 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 51

Well, I'm in the middle of planning my wedding...
(still searching for a cake decorator in the Miami area here on CC)

I'm having a tropical theme wedding and I wanted a cupcake tower with a small cake on top. Then a grooms cake of the Miami Dolphins helmet...
icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 30 May 2008 , 8:33pm
post #3 of 51

My cake was perfect.. simple buttercream finish, 4 tiers, with a ribbon that was almost the same color of the cake (ivory-ish), with very few shells cascading down it. We got married barefoot on the beach so it was just perfect. I would have liked fondant, but it was wonderful with or without it.

Confectionary2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionary2 Posted 30 May 2008 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 51

I like simple wedding cakes. All white/off white with different textures. A single splash of color is ok for me......Of course after decorating you always think of things you would like to "fix" about your cakes, but mine would probably be similar to the one below. This is the only wedding cake I have ever decorated:
LL

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 30 May 2008 , 8:35pm
post #5 of 51

. . . great game . . . guess I'm a dork too icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif . . . wish I had a job where I could be paid to cruise CC . . . no such luck icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif . . . I'm not sure what I would do (it's been over 30 years since I thought about wedding cakes for myself) . . . funny thing is that it wasn't a priority for me even at the time . . . I had a very UNTRADITIONAL/INFORMAL wedding, and if my mom hadn't insisted, I probably wouldn't even have bothered . . . hmmm, maybe I should give it some serious thought . . . maybe I should make me a wedding cake, since I never really had one . . . hmmm, what to do, what to do . . . icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Kahuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahuna Posted 30 May 2008 , 8:35pm
post #6 of 51

HA HA, I'm bored at home!! I got married on St. Patrick's day and just had a plain grocery store cake with green icing some ivy and what not. Now that I'm into all of this I would totally change it up and go much wilder and incorporate mor St. Patrick's stuff. Didn't know anthing like the stuff here on CC existed at the time.

SaraO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraO Posted 30 May 2008 , 8:38pm
post #7 of 51

Fun idea! I want my cake to be round stacked white buttercream with indigo roses all over it and another colour rose that's complimentary maybe light pink or light blue. On top, I want a cake topper with two giraffes dressed in bride and groom outfits because I love giraffes (I don't know if I'll get to do that though because I know it's a little odd haha). And I want the cake flavour itself to be marble.

dragonflydreams Posted 30 May 2008 , 8:40pm
post #8 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraO

Fun idea! I want my cake to be round stacked white buttercream with indigo roses all over it and another colour rose that's complimentary maybe light pink or light blue. On top, I want a cake topper with two giraffes dressed in bride and groom outfits because I love giraffes (I don't know if I'll get to do that though because I know it's a little odd haha). And I want the cake flavour itself to be marble.

OF COURSE YOU CAN DO THAT . . . it's your wedding . . .

LisaMS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMS Posted 30 May 2008 , 8:41pm
post #9 of 51

I wouldn't have a cake. I wouldn't have a wedding. I'd take all that money and go to Tahiti.

icon_smile.gif

I just checked this thread because the title cracked me up.

icon_smile.gif

Irish245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irish245 Posted 30 May 2008 , 8:41pm
post #10 of 51

My first wedding was in 1980 and was the traditional wedding cake - except the tiers were held up by upside down champagne glasses with a rose under each one. I loved it at the time.

The second time was in 2001 and it was only 2 months after I got married when I took my cake decorating course and got really into it. We got married at home and all I wanted was his sister to make a simple cake with some purple silk flowers on it - it was beautiful but now that I'm into it so much, I would totally go wild since everyone knows I do cakes. I'd probably have to have some kind of wacky tilted cake.....I love them and they're so fun to do.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 30 May 2008 , 8:47pm
post #11 of 51

Well I'm so NOT a dork!!!!!! Ha! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif But I am a super duper ego'd, full of herself, Medusa, voodoo cursing perfect person though!

Now enough of me, oh wait, more me.......I didn't have a cake cuz I eloped all three times. Yeppers that is right, three times cuz the first two ditz's (hence the "d" in DH) were not good enough for this perfection!

So getting back to me again, I don't want another marriage cuz I would have to get rid of perfectly good "third is the charm" hubby so NO cake for me........ icon_wink.gif

BTW **again back to me** thanks for letting me play though!

Crazy-4-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-4-Cakes Posted 30 May 2008 , 8:49pm
post #12 of 51

Well I had a real simple wedding with less than 50 guests and the reception immediately following ceremony in church banquet center so I didn't put much thought into it. So when we have our 25th anniversary I want a tropical theme and with flamingos (I luv them!) LOL

Really I think I would mainly love to have all the different flavors that we all have to offer now (Cookies & Cream, PButter Cup, White Choc, and too many fillings to choose from!). I had plain white/dry cake! I guess that would be the only part I would change given our type of reception waaaaayy back then!

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 30 May 2008 , 8:51pm
post #13 of 51

Mine was white buttercream with sprays of white roses on top of each cake... Each cake had it's own stand, arranged in a horseshoe shape with the middle higher than the ends, if that makes any sense... Oh, and dark blue candles! It was simple and pretty... Just like the rest of the wedding! icon_biggrin.gif

Though if I had it to do over again (hope I don't, though! I love my hubby!), I'd probably go for more COLOR, even if it was just RED roses. Maybe for an anniversary someday... icon_biggrin.gif

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 30 May 2008 , 8:55pm
post #14 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraO

Fun idea! On top, I want a cake topper with two giraffes dressed in bride and groom outfits because I love giraffes (I don't know if I'll get to do that though because I know it's a little odd haha)..

I want your cake!!! I don't think it would be odd. I love giraffes also so that would be the perfect cake for me. (I have over 500 of them all over my house)

Iheartcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcake Posted 30 May 2008 , 8:58pm
post #15 of 51

Oh I am right there with you! I recently switched departments at work and it is soooo slooooow. I spend 90% of the day online (i.e.. CC icon_lol.gif )

I loved my wedding cakes.. they were in the shape of a bride and a groom. (picture lego people..hehe). Hard to say if I were to do it over if I'd go with them. I loved them.. but after seeing how many incredible cakes are out there.. it would be so hard to choose.

tiptop57 Posted 30 May 2008 , 8:58pm
post #16 of 51

LisaMS wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

I wouldn't have a cake. I wouldn't have a wedding. I'd take all that money and go to Tahiti.

Ha thumbs_up.gif

Hmmmm better alternative to the three marriages.......

oh but still, I have some beautiful bling bling might be better then Tahiti.......gotta think about this some more.....

......NOPE ----- I guess I like my four carat piece too much........

Advice to others ------ go for the guys.

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 30 May 2008 , 9:00pm
post #17 of 51

I'm going to have to give this some thought. Decisions...Decisions... icon_rolleyes.gif
My husband and I will be married 29 years, later this year. (And we are still so young!) icon_lol.gif When we married, my mom had a cake business, so we simply looked through her book and picked one. It was several tiers over a fountain, with frosting roses all over it. I remember thinking how pretty it was. I had no idea what else could be done. Cake has become such a changing art form over the years. It seems like the envelope is being pushed all the time. I love it.

I am going to have to think about this. I love so many different styles and colors.

dragonflydreams Posted 30 May 2008 , 9:07pm
post #18 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iheartcake

Oh I am right there with you! I recently switched departments at work and it is soooo slooooow. I spend 90% of the day online (i.e.. CC icon_lol.gif )

I loved my wedding cakes.. they were in the shape of a bride and a groom. (picture lego people..hehe). Hard to say if I were to do it over if I'd go with them. I loved them.. but after seeing how many incredible cakes are out there.. it would be so hard to choose.

. . . do you have a picture . . . can you attach it here so we can see . . .

cariage Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cariage Posted 30 May 2008 , 9:10pm
post #19 of 51

I have been married 13 1/2 years and I didn't get to have a wedding or cake. We married at the courthouse (how unromantic). ANYWAY... if I were getting married now, I would have a GIANT over-the-top wedding cake. I lean more toward the traditional, but it would certainly be one that would have people mouths hit the floor when they walked into the reception. LOL I used to work for a photographer and we photographed hundreds of weddings and receptions. I have seen and tasted ALOT of wedding cakes and know exactly what I like and DONT like.

tiptop57 Posted 30 May 2008 , 9:16pm
post #20 of 51

Oh, I know can I have a cake without another marriage?

If so then I want this one......

And this wedding dressâ¦..

Oh did I say I wanted to be Queen? Heck with the weddingâ¦â¦.

dragonflydreams Posted 30 May 2008 , 9:18pm
post #21 of 51

tiptop57 . . . you are tooooo funnnny icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 30 May 2008 , 9:29pm
post #22 of 51

I know...I need to do some "dummies" for display and keep thinking what kind of wedding cake would I have with the knowledge I have now.

I was married "young" in 1984, a week before my 20th birthday! My wedding was outside in August at my in-laws home..they had a beautiful yard so it was perfect for a wedding! My cake was 3 tiers of white BC with fresh purple flowers...the main flower being the "Sterling Silver Rose". It was kind of a basic cake. We had champagne classes that said "Bride" & "Groom" for the top...I still have the "Bride" one but my daugther broke the "Groom" one when she was 3.

It was a warm day and the cake lady refused to stack it. She was afraid it would melt so my MIL kept it cool and put it together outside when it got closer to the wedding time.

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 30 May 2008 , 9:30pm
post #23 of 51

We had a wonderful wedding cake. If I could change anything, I would have made a lot more roses ahead of time, so I didn't have to compromise my design and go with something simpler and quicker. icon_sad.gif It turned out lovely, and peoples' jaws dropped when they walked in and realized I'd made it *grin*, but still... it wasn't exactly what I wanted.

We're planning on having a 'dream wedding' for our ten-year anniversary, to renew our vows. We both plan on being thinner and in better shape by then, and have better jobs/finished college (even though we'll be in our 40's), so we can afford the stuff we wanted the first time around.

But he says he wants the cake in the exact same configuration, same flavors, everything... though I can do what I want with the actual decorating. icon_razz.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 30 May 2008 , 9:54pm
post #24 of 51

NEver want to get married again if something happens to my Dh ... But if I had to choose another wedding cake I'd choose one like this by Allyson Meredith icon_smile.gif . I know it's not a traditional wedding cake but I'd do it icon_smile.gif
LL

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 30 May 2008 , 9:58pm
post #25 of 51

I want a "Do-Again"!! Not a Do-Over, because my wedding was super - I just want a Do-Again cuz I had so much fun, but I would change a few small things...

1. NO WEDDING PARTY!!!! Nope. No one. Not a one! They were all worthless which COMPLETELY shocked me. So no biggie, I had no head table, just a little table for hubby and me - loved it! And I did not introduce the wedding party, just our parents, grandparents and us, they didn't care anyway. But that's not what this is about, lol!

2. I would TOTALLY make my own wedding cake and have the giant white and pale green lighted cathedral from the Wilton yearbook way back when. No one was really doing fondant or gumpaste around here just yet, I hadn't found anything other than Wilton fondant, the Internet was NOT what it is now. But I choose a very simple cake with flowers (which they screwed up anyway, but I hear it tasted good - I don't remember) because I could not pay the small fortune it would have cost for the cake I wanted. I played with fondant a bit to see if I could make the cathedral cutouts, but my mom was freaking out, so I stopped. To this day I wish I had just done it!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 30 May 2008 , 10:12pm
post #26 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babarooskie

Well, I'm in the middle of planning my wedding...
(still searching for a cake decorator in the Miami area here on CC)

I'm having a tropical theme wedding and I wanted a cupcake tower with a small cake on top. Then a grooms cake of the Miami Dolphins helmet...
icon_smile.gif

I don't remember what part of FL she's in, but have you seen the amazing works of art created by tonedna? Take a look; you won't regret it! And if she's not nearby maybe she can recommend someone. Her work is incredible!!

weefoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weefoot Posted 30 May 2008 , 10:15pm
post #27 of 51

My wedding cake was a 3 tier with 2 2tiers and 2 singles all connected with ladders. As my colors were hunter green, black and white(what was I thinking) I had her use ivy on the ladders. I really liked it then but I think now I would have not used the ladders and I would have had more color. I would have the cakes another color with white accents and each cake would have a different design.

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 30 May 2008 , 10:18pm
post #28 of 51

I agree that you should look up tonedna. Her work really is amazing.

EmilyGrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyGrace Posted 30 May 2008 , 10:26pm
post #29 of 51

Here's my wedding cake from three years ago.... I loved it! My aunt made it. I found the cake in a Martha Stewart magazine and she recreated it for me! My dress was all lace and there were lace covered candle holders as centerpieces so it all went well together nicely.
LL

ericaann79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaann79 Posted 30 May 2008 , 10:28pm
post #30 of 51

I am a newleywed...just married 2 months ago. My first wedding I had a really simple cake, 5 tier floating with fresh flowers...pretty, but simple. Then I got into cake decorating. I wanted to do my own but was talked out of it because of the stress so this was what the decorator did for me I first pic below. I had a really elegant wedding this time around as well (DH never got a good 1st wedding, so this was his dream wedding believe it or not!). So we put a funny topper on the cake to make it fun. Elegant cake, but simple. Then I did the groom's cake, posted 2nd. This was full of the places we had been together in our 3 years of courting each other! And the topper was flags of the countries we were going to on our honeymoon! I loved this one!
LL
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%