Fondant Mat

Decorating By Danacakes65 Updated 16 Jun 2008 , 9:15pm by brogi2baker

SugarMoonCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMoonCakeCo Posted 31 May 2008 , 8:50pm
post #31 of 36

i do use the wilton rolling pin - i like the weight of it and the length (used the 40% off coupon for it) - but be careful if you're scraping things off of it with something sharp, I nicked mine and now I have to smooth it out... icon_sad.gif

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 5:21pm
post #32 of 36

I have the pin. I like it. I also use the wilton mat under my vinyl when I need the grid for cutting straight lines or for uniform sized pieces and square corners. Fondant sticks to the Wilton mat really badly.

bakerfairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerfairy Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 7:55pm
post #33 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by poshcakedesigns

I bought my vinyl from the fabric store in Walmart. They have different thicknesses to choose from. I got the thicker one and got it to fit my island. Definetly SAVES your counter from scratches when cutting fondant.

Is this food safe vinyl? I just bought some at my local fabric store and I hadn't thought about whether it's safe or not. Any ideas?

Kitchen_Witch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitchen_Witch Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 8:25pm
post #34 of 36

I just bought the Wilton Graceful Vines Fondant Imprint Mat. Thanks to this thread I know to use the non-slip stuff I have for underneath it so it doesn't roll up; but is there anything I can use to make sure the fondant doesn't stick to the top of it?

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 9:02pm
post #35 of 36

Kitchen_Witch, I haven't tried this, but you can rub a little bit of shortening on the mat. I ordered the Mat from Ateco, and waiting for it at the moment. So excited.

brogi2baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brogi2baker Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 9:15pm
post #36 of 36

silpat is generally used as a cookie/baking sheet liner, but are great for lots of uses. it is basically a silicon mat and is thicker than the wilton fondant mats. They are about $20 and can be found at linens and things or bed bath and beyond. The come in a rectangle box rolled up, but unroll nicely with NO creases.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%