Do You Charge?

Decorating By kdaze Updated 1 Jun 2008 , 11:37pm by indydebi

kdaze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdaze Posted 30 May 2008 , 2:49pm
post #1 of 12

Ok I did a tasting for a wedding and the bride booked. Yeah!!! She like the cakes I did. I made 3 flavors, wasc, choc, and carrot, with about 5 or 6 differnt flavors for frostings. She now emails and mentions she would like to try some more flavors. I didn't charge for the first consultation should I charge for the 2nd and how much? The cake will feed 300-400 and I am doing the grooms cake too. TIA

11 replies
Lee9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee9 Posted 30 May 2008 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 12

You gave her plenty of flavor and frosting options at the first tasting, I WOULD DEFINITELY CHARGE FOR A SECOND TASTING. Another option is that she could come by and just pick up the other samples she's interested in but I would still charge

amy2197 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amy2197 Posted 30 May 2008 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 12

I completely agree with lee. She was obviously satisfied or she wouldn't have booked you. Charging the only fair way to account for your time and ingredients. You're not offering prewedding snacks here.

LetThereBeCake07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LetThereBeCake07 Posted 30 May 2008 , 3:22pm
post #4 of 12

at that point i think i would charge too. its not like you gave her one flavor or noneat all. Maybe you could come up with some price that igive the initail tasting of x flavors for free and any addition flavors will be $x each or 3 flavors for $x. That might help.
not sure what to charge, but i would keep it low. maybe 3 flavors for 6-10.00???
its not like you are making her a free cake and besides, if she already signed a contract then you have the sale.

kdaze Posted 30 May 2008 , 4:06pm
post #5 of 12

I would like to charge her. Its just my 1st wedding cake so I'm a little nervous. I really would like to book some more. I know I'm already giving her a good deal. Any ideas on how to get her to recomend someone else for business? Do you offer any kind of incentives?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 May 2008 , 12:27pm
post #6 of 12

Oh brother! Definitely charge! And I would not offer 4 different flavors in a box of 8 cupcakes, either! You STILL are making 4 different batters with LOTS left over! If she wants samples of add'l cakes, then I'll sell her 6" cakes at $25 each.

In my mind ..... a sampling is to determine if I can bake, if they like my style of baking/cooking. My lemon cake will taste just as good as my white cake except it will taste like lemon. I don't do "Let's try THIS one! Let's try THAT one!" You do that in Sears when you're buying a blouse. I'm not a Cake Changing Room.

I get the impression you're also not a full fledged bakery with lots of variety of cakes and such in your display case, where you can just waltz over and pull one of this one and one of that one out for her. As I tell my brides ... I'm not a restaurant. I can't just go into the kitchen and scoop out a little of everything that is cooking today. I don't keep an inventory of everything on my menu. (Told a bride last week, "I can't buy a 20-lb case of pork chops just so I can sample out one of them.")

These kind of brides make my a$$ tired!!

Incentives: I offer a 5% referral credit. If Alice refers Betty to me and Betty spends $3000, then Alice earns 5%, or $150, credit toward her current order or toward a future purchase.

kdaze Posted 31 May 2008 , 12:54pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks for the advice. Just one quick question... I read in another post you have a formula for determining how much cake top order for a wedding but I was unable to find the info as the post was lost in the crash. Can you give me the information? Thanks bunches!!

indydebi Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 5:44pm
post #8 of 12

It's called The 60% Rule .... In general, 60% of the total number invited will actually show up. Exceptions... bride and/or groom are (1) active military (2) very involved in their church (3) African-American.

So if a bride invited 300 people to her wedding, she can realistically expect around 175-200 people to actually show up.

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 9:43pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

It's called The 60% Rule .... In general, 60% of the total number invited will actually show up. Exceptions... bride and/or groom are (1) active military (2) very involved in their church (3) African-American.

So if a bride invited 300 people to her wedding, she can realistically expect around 175-200 people to actually show up.

I'm curious why one of the exceptions is if they're African American. Mind explaining, Debi? icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 11:08pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedecoratingsmything

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I'm curious why one of the exceptions is if they're African American. Mind explaining, Debi? icon_smile.gif

Can't really tell you why .... only what I've observed over the years. I always ask how many they invited, then I observe how many show up. Over the years, this 60% Rule and the exceptions rank true 99.5% of the time.

Others have suggested that many ethnic groups tend to have very strong ties to family and church, which ties in with the other two exceptions I've observed over the years.

kdaze Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 11:29pm
post #11 of 12

If you go with the exceptions do you go with 100% for the amount of guests?

indydebi Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 11:37pm
post #12 of 12

I give between 5-10% per exception.

One exception ... let's go with 65, MAYBE 70%.
Two exceptions...70-75%.
All three? we better plan for wall to wall guests!!!!

I also tell brides that the one thing I can't factor is how their families typically respond to weddings. If they view it as a formal family reunion and EVERYONE always has a big turnout, then they should plan accordingly. If they have a lot of out-of-state guests (have to invite them but don't really expect them to fly in for the wedding), then the expected headcount decreases.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%