Out Of Meringue Powder, Now What Do I Do?!

Decorating By strawberry0121 Updated 30 May 2008 , 4:12pm by strawberry0121

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 30 May 2008 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 4

I am halfway through making Whipped BC from this site. I made 1 double batch and have one more double batch to go. What do I do!??

The closest store that has it is 30 minutes away or I would run out and get it. But we are talking at least a 1.5 hour trip here, plus gas is almost $4.00 a gallon. Got any tips/subs that might work? Thanks!

3 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 30 May 2008 , 2:30pm
post #2 of 4

here's an article about using substitutions.
http://www.ochef.com/725.htm icon_wink.gif

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 30 May 2008 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 4

I don't even use it anymore. Ever sense I started using Sugarshacks recipe, which doesn't call for it. I'd personally just leave it out. I haven't found a difference.

It is just egg white. Somewhere one the can it tells you how many egg whites 1 TBL substitutes. You can always use eggs whites leaving off some of the liquid. But then you run the risk of salmonella.
so, I wouldn't give a cake with raw eggs to someone else, but if it were just for you...

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 30 May 2008 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks!
This is for a 50th Anniversary cake that serves over 100 people. I don't think I want to run the risk of giving someone food poisoning. They want the Whipped BC to go with a butter cake and fresh strawberry filling.

I have access to egg whites at the grocery store, you know, the egg beaters kind? Do you think they would work for this recipe? I have to get stiff peaks, that is why the meringue is necessary. I have never used those egg whites for frosting, but I know they are pasteurized.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%