Using Wire Decorations!

Decorating By amy2197 Updated 30 May 2008 , 3:21am by amy2197

amy2197 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amy2197 Posted 30 May 2008 , 2:59am
post #1 of 6

I have a wedding cake next week(my first) where the bride wants daisies coming out of the cake on wire. My question is, does everyone usually use posy picks for this? I need suggestions fast

5 replies
amy2197 Posted 30 May 2008 , 3:04am
post #2 of 6

Also, what size and type of wire would you normally use

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 30 May 2008 , 3:09am
post #3 of 6

I use a aluminum, flexible wire by "Oasis" I buy it at the floral shop...it's a 12 guage wire, comes in several colors and is very workable. I make sure it's clean and have put it directly into the cake but you might want to use a straw as a sleeve. look at my fondant birthday cake.(pink and purple) I used the wire on that cake and also my pink and blue baby shower cake (the one with the baby on top).

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 30 May 2008 , 3:10am
post #4 of 6

I use floral wire. The size is measured by gauge, which is the thickness. Thinner gauges will come wrapped around a spool or paddle. You can bend them with your hands without much trouble. They may not support anything except a very delicate, small flower. The thicker ones usually come precut in a package...I think it's 68 cents for a package of 24 from walmart. You can buy some at Hobby Lobby that have green thread wrapped around them for a more realistic stem effect.

You'll need a pair of long-nosed pliers with a wire cutter built in, which you can get at Walmart for $2 in the hardware department.

Some people stick them right in the cake. I don't do that because I'm not sure about the paint on the wire, etc...You can cut a piece of a drinking straw or a coffee stir and insert that in the cake and then put the wire in it.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 30 May 2008 , 3:15am
post #5 of 6

I use heavier wire...20 gauge from the jewelry making section at the craft store. I use floral tape to put more than one together (like a bouquet), place a straw in the cake and insert the wires.

amy2197 Posted 30 May 2008 , 3:21am
post #6 of 6

Thanks so much guys!!!! I'll be sure to post a pic of the cake when it's finished!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%