New Game!! When I Was Little We Didn't Have....

Lounge By cookingfor5 Updated 7 Aug 2008 , 7:54am by veejaytx

cookingfor5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookingfor5 Posted 31 May 2008 , 11:46am
post #31 of 104

Cable T.V. We started out with 3 channels and it was exciting when we went to 4, but you couldn't always get the 4th to come in. And, your T.V. had an antenna that you used, along with the antenna on the outside of your house.

Mini Vans! If you had a van, it was huge.

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 31 May 2008 , 2:02pm
post #32 of 104

Botox injections for wrinkles

MissT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissT Posted 31 May 2008 , 6:32pm
post #33 of 104

Blow dryers, curling iron, straighteners...we used a big hair dryer that sat on the table and you had to sit under it - to straighten you combed or brushed your hair continuously as it dried; to curl, you had to use curlers.

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 2:29am
post #34 of 104

Ice makers in the fridge!

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 2:30am
post #35 of 104

Also, no thongs. Well, we had thongs, they are now known as flip flops. Only I still call them thongs, and mortify my kids.

Teehee.

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:05am
post #36 of 104

fear of playing outside

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 4:07am
post #37 of 104

The other day my oldest DD who is almost 9 asked me when I was a little girl did I watch spongebob? icon_lol.gif I had to laugh! I hate spongebob with a passion for one, and 2 when I was a kid there were good cartoons. Not these horrible pointless cartoons they have out now. Ok end of rant.

Now for those who live on your cell phones, remember the very first ones? The bag that had this monster sized battery in it with the phone on top and you carried it on your shoulder? Then went on to car phones. I can't believe insurance companies actually gave discounts for those. Then went to those cordless looking cell phones. It's amazing how technology has come along.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 4:20am
post #38 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness_221

Now for those who live on your cell phones, remember the very first ones? The bag that had this monster sized battery in it with the phone on top and you carried it on your shoulder? Then went on to car phones. I can't believe insurance companies actually gave discounts for those. Then went to those cordless looking cell phones. It's amazing how technology has come along.

Remember when everything on star trek seemed so futuristic? And now we're living it? I always thought the doors that opened when the star trek folks walked up to them was so cool! Now I'm ticked when I have to open the store door manually! icon_lol.gif

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 5:15am
post #39 of 104

How about the "Blue Law" The only store open on Sunday was the grocery store and the aisles were roped off that had stuff you COULDN'T buy on Sunday.

indydebi Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 11:26am
post #40 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac

How about the "Blue Law" The only store open on Sunday was the grocery store and the aisles were roped off that had stuff you COULDN'T buy on Sunday.

In our town only one drugstore was allowed to be open for medicines and prescriptions and the paper would publish which store it was going to be!!

And no 24/7 stores! When I was a kid there was ONE grocery store in the entire county that was open all night long and when they first opened, everyone was like "Oh wow! All night long?????" icon_surprised.gif

nancylynwallace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylynwallace Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 11:50am
post #41 of 104

When I was little, there were no fast food restaurants! Oops, I'm about to let you all know how old I am! icon_redface.gif Also, we played outside all day and weren't allowed inside unless it was an emergency. Anybody else make mud pies?! Those were the days! We also put playing cards on the spokes of our bicycles with a clothespin to make noise. How about REAL tree forts that WE made out of old pieces of wood that our dads had.

moreCakePlz Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 12:15pm
post #42 of 104

Remember those alarm clocks with the numbers printed on plastic sheets that were attached to a roll-a-deck? Every minute the number would change and there was a clicking noise as the roll-a-deck moved and a new number was flipped into view.

I havenât seen one of those clocks in years.

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:55pm
post #43 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by moreCakePlz

Remember those alarm clocks with the numbers printed on plastic sheets that were attached to a roll-a-deck? Every minute the number would change and there was a clicking noise as the roll-a-deck moved and a new number was flipped into view.

My dad had one of those up until maybe 3 or 4 years ago. It lasted that long. Tells you how well things were made back then. Stuff now is so disposable that it only works for 2 or 3 years and then you have to get a new one. My parents microwave that they got back in 68 still works to this day better than mine does.

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 4:10pm
post #44 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness_221

Quote:
Originally Posted by moreCakePlz

My dad had one of those up until maybe 3 or 4 years ago. It lasted that long. Tells you how well things were made back then. Stuff now is so disposable that it only works for 2 or 3 years and then you have to get a new one. My parents microwave that they got back in 68 still works to this day better than mine does.

Tell me about it! My grandparents have a coffeepot (a Bunn) that is older than me! And it has ALWAYS worked better than anything you can buy now. I think they make things disposable so you'll have to buy a new one and spend more money.

When I was little, you couldn't buy slice and bake cookies or those brownies that are already in a pan and you just throw them in the oven. You bought the mix (or heaven forbid, made them from scratch!) and mixed it up yourself.

nancylynwallace Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 4:34pm
post #45 of 104

The GOOD cartoons...Bugs Bunny, Tom & Jerry, Road Runner, Foghorn Leghorn, Elmer Fudd, Daffy Duck, Mighty Mouse...now those were cartoons! thumbs_up.gif . Didn't they call them Looney Tunes?!

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 5:10pm
post #46 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by amia1024

Tell me about it! My grandparents have a coffeepot (a Bunn) that is older than me! And it has ALWAYS worked better than anything you can buy now. I think they make things disposable so you'll have to buy a new one and spend more money.
[/quote]]

its called planned obsolescence. its a true industry term. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence

I've thought of a few more things... its harder because I'm only 22 icon_lol.gif

we didnt have a fear of GERMS - dirt, bugs, whatever thats how you build an immune system - not by disinfecting everything!

and we didnt have disposable EVERYTHING! I walked through the cleaning aisle yesterday, I just wanted a good mop not a swifter wet mop with the disinfecting spray and throwaway cleaning pad. I walked away empty handed. Disposable toilet cleaners, disposable dusting clothes.
what a resource consuming society we are - I'll stick to the 'classics' - rags and my toilet brush (and the occasional paper towel to clean the toilet)

indydebi Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 6:57pm
post #47 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancylynwallace

Also, we played outside all day and weren't allowed inside unless it was an emergency.

Yep! If we had to pee, that's what the outhouse was for! If we got thirsty, there was a water trough/faucet at the barn. Hungry? Lots of apple trees, pear trees and grape vines!

nancylynwallace Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 7:47pm
post #48 of 104

Indydebi...you are right! I grew up on a farm and if you got hungry you went out into the field and got something to eat, wiped the dirt off of it and ate it. If you got thirsty, you drank from the hose and if you got hot you jumped in the irrigation ditch to cool off!

nancylynwallace Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 7:58pm
post #49 of 104

When I was little, we didn't have TIMEOUT!! If you were bad you got your butt busted, if you back-talked you got slapped in the mouth and if we tore something up of Daddy's, we got the "switch" where you had to go cut your own switch to get beat with and if you came back with a little one...LOOK OUT! Oh yeah, my mom was a ninja with the flyswatter on my legs!

indydebi Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 8:08pm
post #50 of 104

Flyswatters! With enclosed, air conditioned buildings, kids have no idea what a fly swatter or a fly strip is! How many got those dang fly strips in their hair now and then when you walked thru the house and mama had them hung too low?

cookingfor5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookingfor5 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 9:04pm
post #51 of 104

My grandmother always had a flyswatter within reach. Even when she was outside. We have never owned one, but one time I needed one and he brought it home from his moms and brought it back the next day. Flyswatters were actually a fun thing to buy.

How about Interstates?? We had them, but necessarily near you. Now, they are within 30 minutes of most towns. I still remember the 15 years it took to build the one here. How about rest areas??? We actually use to stop and eat lunch there. How about paved roads? In rural areas those were few and far between.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 11:22pm
post #52 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac

If you think they're completely gone you need to come visit me in North Dakota. We spent Saturday night in Fargo and couldn't head home until after noon because we needed to pick up a few things. Grocery stores (super walmart doesn't count), gas stations and food service are really the only places allowed to open before noon.

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:58am
post #53 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Gifts4Lisa

Also, no thongs. Well, we had thongs, they are now known as flip flops. Only I still call them thongs, and mortify my kids.

Teehee.

. . . I was with my son and a girlfriend of mine (my son's age) eating at an outdoor restaurant . . . the wasps were particularly aggressive so I threatened to take off my thong and swat them if they didn't "buzz off" . . . icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif you should have seen the look on their faces icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif . . . of course I was referring to the flip flop type icon_rolleyes.gif . . . icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

dragonflydreams Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:15am
post #54 of 104

. . . oh . . . and we didn't have pantyhose . . . (yeah, I'm that old) . . . . icon_cry.gif

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:32am
post #55 of 104

Nope, no pantyhose, and no thong underwear...if we had those I think they were referred to as "wedgies"!

When I was really little, we actually had an "ice box" to keep our food cold, ice was delivered in a truck. The milkman came every few days to deliver milk too!

dragonflydreams Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:40am
post #56 of 104

. . . wedgies . . . icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

. . . yup, milkman (my dad was a milkman) . . . and breadman too!!

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 2:28am
post #57 of 104

Digital music/iPods! It's crazy to think you can put your entire collection on a small device.

moreCakePlz Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:15pm
post #58 of 104

How about carbon copy machines? Remember the smell of a freshly inked carbon copy? And the purplish-blue color of the ink?

nancylynwallace Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:25pm
post #59 of 104

Ahhhh! I used to love that smell! I wonder if that's why I work in a print shop now! How about reel-to-reel tape recorders. And remember being in school watching the reel-to-reel movie projector? Oh, here's another one...drive in movies! How many of you guys sneaked people in? I did! Ok...just one more. Grocery stores that delivered!

indydebi Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 3:27pm
post #60 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancylynwallace

Oh, here's another one...drive in movies!

I worked in one when I was 14. My mom managed the concession stand of the local R and X rated drive in and I worked there every weekend. When they ran an X movie, she traded me with an 18 year old from the drive in down the road (which was the drive in that showed mostly disney movies!)

No wonder I'm warped!!! icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%