How Many Think Mood And Life Situation Affect Their Cakes?

Decorating By ctackett Updated 31 May 2008 , 2:02pm by ctackett

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 30 May 2008 , 12:49pm
post #31 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascades

Since I charge for my cakes I try very hard not to let my mood affect my cakes. On the other hand there have been times when my cakes affect my mood!

icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif I heard that! icon_lol.gif

oh boy i can relate too. i think every time i make a cake it affects my mood. icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif hopefully when i get better it won't be like pulling teeth. actually, thats not true. it just takes lots and lots of energy. icon_wink.gif

ashea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashea Posted 30 May 2008 , 12:55pm
post #32 of 38

I agree with you guys but decorating is my therapy. I REALLY believe in the power of attraction, you attract what comes your way. If you have a bad day and say "Well this day really stinks and it's only going to get worse" well wouldn't you know it , it gets worse. So I always start to say to myself, Okay the day is going to be great, the cake will turn out beautiful and I will have no problems with the delivery and you know what Everything turns out fine. I guess you just have to get in the right frame of mind because I always think that there is someone out there that has it a lot worse than me. icon_twisted.gif

Mommaskip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommaskip Posted 30 May 2008 , 1:03pm
post #33 of 38

i can definitely relate to this. my mood and my kids definitely affect how my cakes turn out. i know if i didnt have such a great day my cake will taste like crap or fall apart whatever. as for my kids i have 2 small children. my oldest son is 28 months and my youngest is 10 months old. they also seem to pester and scream and cry when im baking and i can never practice and try new decorating techniques because of this. so i havent been able to learn much since i started caking in january.

Housemouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Housemouse Posted 30 May 2008 , 1:08pm
post #34 of 38

I have attention deficit disorder (officially diagnosed) and know my baking and decorating is very much affected by that. It can take me ages to get started on a cake and I invariably find myself asking why in heck did I volunteer to make this one!

Once I am started then I have to complete it. Any extended breaks and I find it hard to pick up the thread again.

What I am good at is thinking on my feet and when things go bottom up as they do from time to time I just get on and deal with it.

I have a short memory for the disasters and a long and precise one for the successes!

Housemouse

oilili Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oilili Posted 30 May 2008 , 2:53pm
post #35 of 38

I agree with ashea but... when the motivation is not there... I am less patient, mistakes are miserable and visible (at least to me!).

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 30 May 2008 , 3:17pm
post #36 of 38

I definitely have to chime in on this one. Last weekend was my daughters wedding, I did the cake, and I have to tell you, I was so stressed and nervous about everything, not just cake, that, I had the hardest time ever making her cake. It was one disaster after another, from the get go. First, I was baking the 14" and forgot to put cake batter in my heating core, let me tell you, it definitely effects the way your cake bakes!! Did it over because I was not going to settle for anything less than perfect. Then I had two tiers that were red velvet, nothing but trouble, kept having blowouts on one and covered it 3 time with fondant before I was satisfied, it was horrible, I was crying, shaking and literallly falling apart. My DH, stepped in and helped me tremendously, he calmed me and told me I had a job to do and was very capable, so suck it up and do it!! Needless to say I finished, the cake was beautiful, at least everyone said so, I didn't even want to look at it!! In the course of all the stress I forgot to take a picture of the cake so I have to wait for the photographer's photos, Oh well, they will be better than anything I could do. Thanks for listening!

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 31 May 2008 , 6:04am
post #37 of 38

When I'm feeling overwhelmed its really hard to get the umph to just get started sometimes --instead of writers cramp, I get cake cramp! Once I finally get pumped up enough to dig in & get going I enter the "cake zone" & tune everything & everybody out. It's just the cake & me til done!! Cake therapy really does work! Once I enter the "zone" I'm fine! Moods & emotions can be nasty things but turning them into good ones thru cake art "ROCKS"!

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 31 May 2008 , 2:02pm
post #38 of 38

WOW. Miss Robin...My daughter wants me to do her wedding cake if she ever gets married....shes 26 and no prospects so I dont have to worry for awhile I think. I just don't know about it. I think I will have to have a fifth of wine beside me

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%