What Kind Of Base Do You Use....

Business By yelle66 Updated 30 May 2008 , 11:01pm by SweetResults

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 29 May 2008 , 5:51am
post #1 of 11

and how do you afford it? I have looked at the thick bases and would love to use them on every cake but they are like $5 for each of them. Do you just charge enough that you can afford it (or do you get them cheaper online)?

Another question, what kind of boxes do you all use? I have been using lately the open top waxed kind that they sell locally. Is that okay, or should I stick to closure boxes? Some of the cakes are taller than the closure boxes allow. The reason I'm asking is b/c I need to order boxes, but I don't want to get one thing and then hate it down the line but still have 98 of them left.

Any direction would be much appreciated.

10 replies
shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 29 May 2008 , 6:20am
post #2 of 11

I know some people use foam core as base. I may start doing this myself. You can buy at hobby lobby, you then use xacto knife and cut to size you need. they come in big sheets. I use just regular cake boxes, but I haven't bought any with clear lids. I have seen some plastic containors I have used a couple times for cupcakes and I am going to use for cheesecake.

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 29 May 2008 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 11

I started using 1/2" foam boards too, I buy them at Michaels with their 40% coupon.
they had the 3/16" on sale the other day for $0.99! I started using these as cake boards between layers instead of the card boards.

As for boxes, I get the crappy Wilton ones at Michaels too...I'm going to order from this place soon.

http://www.brpboxshop.com/

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 May 2008 , 8:08pm
post #4 of 11

I use regular cardboard rounds.......my cake supply store sells them really cheap......for cakes that require more I will use foam core like the cake in my avatar..because the board needed to be 2" thick for the ribbon the bride wanted on it...but with the reg. cardboard rounds they're like 25cents each so I'll double or triple them up and hot glue ribbon around them. The most expensive cake board I've ever made was the one in my avatar and that's only because the foam core wasn't on sale I paid nearly 3 bucks per sheet and needed 4 sheets...however I was making enough of a profit on the cake to support that...for a regular birthday cake I never would have done that.

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 29 May 2008 , 8:09pm
post #5 of 11

For the really heavy cakes I use 1 inch thick particle board with formica or a smooth finish on one side, like the kind that are left over after a sink is cut out of it. The rest I buy foam core board and glue it together to make a think board maybe 2-3 layers. All are covered by fondant or a ribbon anyway.

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 29 May 2008 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 11

I use a cake drum. I order them wholesale online at deco pac and I also have the cost built into the price of the cake.

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 29 May 2008 , 8:17pm
post #7 of 11

I think you are talking about the cake drums. If you go to www.cakedeco.com you can buy them 6 at a time for MUCH less. The 12" white rounds come out to $2.40 each.

hamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamie Posted 29 May 2008 , 11:22pm
post #8 of 11

I use ceramic tiles. You can often find them for $1 and they come in all different sizes.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 30 May 2008 , 10:40pm
post #9 of 11

I use 1/2" foam core from Michaels with my 40% off coupon. I sue a hot knife to cut it to size (also at Michaels)

thecupcakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecupcakemom Posted 30 May 2008 , 10:47pm
post #10 of 11

Hamie:

Where do you get the ceramic tiles from? Sounds like a fabulous idea as long as it is covered.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 30 May 2008 , 11:01pm
post #11 of 11

I bought a case of parquet flooring from Lowes today for a Basketball cake I am doing. The cake only cost $10 and I used 4 tiles locked together and glued onto foam core. So I have plenty left over for other cakes. Posting picture soon.

Most of the time I just use cake drums and roll the cost into the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%