Magnolia Vanilla Cupcake Recipe

Decorating By heatherlikesfood Updated 29 May 2008 , 3:53pm by hwnhulahands

heatherlikesfood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heatherlikesfood Posted 29 May 2008 , 5:23am
post #1 of 7

I've been making these cupcakes for a while now and love them, but I want to use the recipe for my layer cakes as well. The only way for me to do that is to double or triple the recipe.

Every time I double the recipe it turns out a completely different texture and tastes nothing like the cupcakes. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Are any of you CC's good at doubling and tripling recipes? Are there tricks I need to learn? I've been baking my cake rounds at 325. My recipe is below.

1 3/4 cups cake flour
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Please help!!!

6 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 29 May 2008 , 3:20pm
post #2 of 7

I'm no expert, but here's a bump hoping for some information from the experts. I have read lots of books/articles saying that you can't always successfully double or halve recipes. I don't understand all of the science involved, but ratios of flours, fats, leavenings, and sugars are important. I was told that, if in doubt, mix the recipe as written however many times you need rather than trying to double or triple ingredients in the same bowl. What a PIB, but it beats wasting ingredients.

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 29 May 2008 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 7

I make a similar recipe using a white cake mix.

1 white cake mix
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup melted butter
1 1/3 water (can sub milk, it makes it more tender, but too tender for my taste)
1 cup sour cream
3 eggs
vanilla

Mix eggs, sour cream, melted butter and vanilla until well combined. Sift together dry ingredients and add to liquids. Mix just until well combined. Bake at 325.

It might not be exactly the same, but it might taste close enough and with a few tweaks of your own, you could get it even closer. HTH!!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 29 May 2008 , 3:50pm
post #4 of 7

My guess would be that there's too much leavening when you double or triple it. That recipe should make an 8" cake. Try taking out 2 tsp of the baking powder when you double and see if that makes a difference.

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 29 May 2008 , 3:51pm
post #5 of 7

Heather, I use the Magnolia Bakery cupcake recipe for my vanilla cakes all the time. However, I've only ever used the recipe 'as is' for 2-9" rounds. If I were to make a layered sheet cake I'd make it twice, rather than doubling it. Especially now that I see you have had a change of texture...'cause I love the texture of this cake!

I hope you find your answer!! icon_biggrin.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 29 May 2008 , 3:52pm
post #6 of 7

Just use the Magnolia Vanilla Layer cake recipe - I use it all the time and it's perfect!

hwnhulahands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hwnhulahands Posted 29 May 2008 , 3:53pm
post #7 of 7

i would love to try these recipes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%