Dream Whip Question

Decorating By TheCakerator Updated 30 May 2008 , 1:51am by TheCakerator

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 29 May 2008 , 12:13am
post #1 of 12

I am going to try indydebis icing tomorrow for a grooms cake. I have never made this recipe before but I am looking for a great crusting recipe, anyways, I bought a box of dream whip from my wal mart store tonight and got it home and realized they are in individual envelopes. Is this the right stuff? Thanks ...

11 replies
tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 29 May 2008 , 12:19am
post #2 of 12

Yep, that's the stuff. I use it in all my icings. I think she uses 3tblsp of it. I find one envelope (the smaller ones I buy) is about 6 tblsp, so if you are making a double batch, one envelope will do.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 29 May 2008 , 12:38am
post #3 of 12

Just curious..what does it do to your icing when you add the dream whip? Just curious. do you use a crusting buttercream recipe?

suz

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 29 May 2008 , 12:42am
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1970

Yep, that's the stuff. I use it in all my icings. I think she uses 3tblsp of it. I find one envelope (the smaller ones I buy) is about 6 tblsp, so if you are making a double batch, one envelope will do.

You get 6 tablespoons out of one envelope??? icon_confused.gif I don't get but about 4... I ususally just use the whole thing...

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:27am
post #5 of 12

6 tablespoons???? I get four and I typically use 2 tbsp per recipe, so one envelope goes for a double batch.

tracey1970 Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:40am
post #6 of 12

I better check my tablespoon! As I recall, I only measured once some time ago, and it was in the neighbourhood of what I needed. Since I almost always make a double batch, I just dump the whole envelope in without measuring it anymore.

The dream whip gives the icing a creamier taste, and yes, it is a crusting recipe.

TheCakerator Posted 29 May 2008 , 2:16pm
post #7 of 12

thanks everyone for the replies, my internet went down and couldn't get back on .... anyways, I will measure out my dream whip then just to be sure ... it seems as though this is a popular recipe? I have never used it before but am desperately seeking a good tasting crusting recipe like what I had before the 0 trans fat ordeal ..

TheCakerator Posted 29 May 2008 , 4:52pm
post #8 of 12

ok so I made a batch of indydebis icing ... I gave some to my sil next door, she said it left a really greasy taste in her mouth, not like the buttercream dream recipe I like to use .. so is the purpose of dream whip to help the icing crust, and if so, can I just add it to my buttercream dream recipe? Thanks !!!

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 29 May 2008 , 7:28pm
post #9 of 12

Wow... I'm REALLY surprised! icon_surprised.gif I have never had anyone tell me that my icing was greasy... I have been using this recipe for almost a year, and all I get is rave reviews... thumbs_up.gif Sorry you seem to be having problems. Perhaps you should just switch to high ratio shortening if you only like the buttercream dream recipe.

Good luck,
Pat

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 29 May 2008 , 7:46pm
post #10 of 12

I used her recipe for a cake I did last weekend and it was the best I have ever tasted and it was not greasy at all! In fact, I used a little maple extract with the vanilla and everyone went on and on about it. It smelled awesome and tasted even awesomer (if that's a word! lol)

tracey1970 Posted 30 May 2008 , 12:28am
post #11 of 12

I do a half butter-half shortening thing with mine, and I use Sharon's (for Sugarshack) idea of warmed up coffee creamer (any flavour you like!) puls clear vanilla as the liquid. I am partial to having some butter in my BC. The dream whip does not make the icing crust. It would do so without that. I use hi-ratio shortening too.

TheCakerator Posted 30 May 2008 , 1:51am
post #12 of 12

thanks you guys ... I don't really want to buy hi ratio shortening simply because I do almost all of my cakes for free and that would put me in even more debt icon_sad.gif I decided to go with my buttercream dream icing anyways ... it seems like a lose lose situation ...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%