3-D Whale Cake? Help Please.

Decorating By joy5678 Updated 4 Jun 2008 , 12:59am by clopin0

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 28 May 2008 , 8:26pm
post #1 of 4

I have been asked to to a 3-D whale cake. I think I can figure that part out but I have no idea what to charge for it. It will be covered in fondant & on a cake board to look like water, probably in buttercream. Any ideas how to make it look like water is coming out of the blow hole??? LOL this one ought to be fun. Thanks for your input on this one. icon_eek.gif Watching for your answers icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
tippyad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tippyad Posted 29 May 2008 , 11:26am
post #2 of 4

I haven't done that many 3D cakes. But can you make the water out of fondant? And then paint on the blue in different shades? Allow it to dry for a few days so it'll be nice and hard.

I've also seen poured sugar, I think that's what it's called. Many use that when wanting to make almost life like liquids such as coffee, tea, colas...

Good luck, I'm sure I wasn't much help. Maybe someone else will respond.

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 29 May 2008 , 2:04pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks, Tippyad! The fondant was the only think I could think of but I like the poured sugar. Sounds like it would be more realistic in apperance. I'll have to check into that more because I haven't tried it before--Hmmm, if you come up with anymore ideas please let me know. This is a Fathers Day cake, so I have more time. icon_smile.gif

clopin0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clopin0 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:59am
post #4 of 4

In the 1996 Wilton yearbook, there is a whale cake. For the spout, they used florist wire coated in buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%