Questions About Sculpting With Rice Cereal Treats???

Decorating By lmn4881 Updated 30 May 2008 , 7:51pm by lmn4881

lmn4881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmn4881 Posted 28 May 2008 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 4

I have an order for an ADULT cake. i've looked at the pictures on here and most people are using rice cereal treats for the sculpting. Do you use the same recipe you would use for making squares? Do you mold it while it's still hot? Wouldn't that burn your hands or are you supposed to wear the food safe gloves?

Any suggestions on how to mold it? I've pm'ed some of the original designers but haven't heard anything back.

Sorry for so many questions, this is my first adult cake and I would like it to go well. My hubby usually helps with my cakes but this one he said I'm on my own for...lol

Lisa

3 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 May 2008 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 4

I'm not even going to ask what shape you have to make icon_lol.gif You can use the regular recipe for the rice krispies, but make sure that you measure everything right so that it doesn't get too dry too fast. I've done both the recipe and also used the boxed treats, and I find the boxed ones are a lot softer than the homemade. If you're going to make it yourself you can mold it after it cools a little but it's still warm, and it won't burn you. Grease your hands with butter or crisco and it won't stick to you.

Something else you can do if the treats aren't holding the shape is to mold the shape, then coat the krispies with melted chocolate or candy coating, When the chocolate cools off it will hold the shape, and you can cover it with icing or fondant.

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 4

I find that if i try to mould something while the rct are still warm I have trouble.. So I like to try to really compress them together so they feel really solid and carve with a serrated knife..

lmn4881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmn4881 Posted 30 May 2008 , 7:51pm
post #4 of 4

thanks so much. I think I might buy the treats and use those for this one because it seems easier. I'll post pictures when I get it done and you can see how it turned out! Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%