Favorite Shortcut/timesaver

Decorating By dee-lite Updated 11 Nov 2008 , 2:11am by jenncowin

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 29 May 2008 , 5:14pm
post #31 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee-lite

This is kind of a wierd one-If you need to "level a pan like a character pan that tou can't use even bake strips on or don't have any or don't really need precision leveling do this....As soon as the cake comes out use a clean kitchen towel and lay it (double it) across the cake and smoosh down the dome level...I do this all the time for cakes that dont really nee an exactly flat surface.Works like a charm l

good idea Dee-lite; you could also lay a cutting board over the pan (weigh it down with something heavy) on top of the towel and leave it for the 5-10 minute cooling period in the pan, this makes them even more flat.

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 29 May 2008 , 5:14pm
post #32 of 61

not sure if this is a shortcut, but whenever I test a new recipe that I like, I measure the yield of the cake batter.

Then, since i know the capacity of my cake pans (rounds, squares and sheets), I am able to calculate how much ingredients I need to make any sized cake.

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 29 May 2008 , 5:17pm
post #33 of 61

I put my icing in saran wrap and twist the ends so I can just drop it in the decorating bag. Tie a knot in the end at the top of the bag and pull the other end tyhrough the coupler and snip it off....add tip and decorate. When you want another color pull the first one out and install the second one. Makes clean up a breeze too.

kakelady00009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakelady00009 Posted 29 May 2008 , 5:18pm
post #34 of 61

This is actually my first post, but I couldn't resist.....I hate having to measure out my shortening for the icing ( I have the 6qt KA, and can make quite a bit at a time ) it's 4 cups of shortening at a time....so I use a large 8cup measuring cup, fill it with water up to the 4 cup mark, and proceed to just dump the shortening in till it reaches the 8 cup mark. I dump the water, then dump the shortening in my bowl...the water immersion method saves alot of time!!

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 29 May 2008 , 5:24pm
post #35 of 61

kakelady00009 -- you are brilliant! Archimedes would be proud of you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archimedes

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 29 May 2008 , 5:25pm
post #36 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelle66

Can I just say Petit-four you are my new favorite person! I am such an idiot! I was actually going to buy another stand mixer but it would be a whole lot cheaper just to buy an extra bowl and beaters. Holy smokes! I can't believe I never thought of this before!

What an awesome thread!

Dahhhh! I feel like an idiot too!
Never thought of this...

cohen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cohen1 Posted 29 May 2008 , 5:37pm
post #37 of 61

MUST SAVE THIS THREAD!!!!

Starting tomorrow I am going to be sooooo organized and ahead of time I wont know what to do icon_smile.gif

Thank you for sharing all your ideas!

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 29 May 2008 , 5:37pm
post #38 of 61

I use a scale for everything. I measured out all of the ingredients I use and weigh them and have a chart taped inside my cabinet. When I need 3 cups of shortening I know I just weigh out 3 x 6.5 oz.

kakelady00009 Posted 29 May 2008 , 5:46pm
post #39 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petit-four

Thank-You Petit-Four!!! But to be honest, the credit goes to my twin sis'..she's always looking out for me! thumbs_up.gif

kakelady00009 Posted 29 May 2008 , 5:46pm
post #40 of 61
Quote:

Thank-You Petit-Four!!! But to be honest, the credit goes to my twin sis'..she's always looking out for me! thumbs_up.gif

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 29 May 2008 , 6:57pm
post #41 of 61

Water displacement is how my Mom taught me to measure shortening icon_smile.gif Now I use my scale.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 29 May 2008 , 7:03pm
post #42 of 61

OH...just thought of another one... When making a fondant ribbon to go around the bottom of a cake, roll it up with wax paper strips for easy handling and applying. You can also make it ahead of time, roll it up in the wax paper strips, put it into a ziplock and get rid of the air, then apply it on-site when stacking. Ready to go! icon_biggrin.gif

HTH,
Pat

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 29 May 2008 , 9:54pm
post #43 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjaycakes

I use a scale for everything. I measured out all of the ingredients I use and weigh them and have a chart taped inside my cabinet. When I need 3 cups of shortening I know I just weigh out 3 x 6.5 oz.

That is a great idea! I have been thinking of getting a scale. Would you mind sharing that chart with us please?

Thanks to everyone who have shared these amazing ideas!!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 7:06pm
post #44 of 61

My favorite time saver is using the empty Pringles can to hold the icing bag while I fill it. That's the first thing my cake teacher taught me and it works like a charm! icon_biggrin.gif

ChristianCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristianCakeBaker Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 7:28pm
post #45 of 61

well, i'm sure this is a no brainer but it's bout the only thing i got...lol

i make all my cakes in advance when i have some free time & then freeze them. i also make icing and fonant well in advance. that way when it's time to decorate i already have 50% of the work done & i can just enjoy decorating w/o the baking.

i've also stored icing in ziplock baggies and just snipped the end off to dispense it into my piping bags- save a lil time.

love ALL the ideas on here... i'm so gunna save this thread!

kbak37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbak37 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 7:54pm
post #46 of 61

I have to say that I bit the bullet and bought the icing dispenser and an extra bag of Sugar Veil, and I love it! It is so easy and quick and more importantly my hand does not hurt when I am done.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 2:54pm
post #47 of 61
Quote:

"Can I just say Petit-four you are my new favorite person! I am such an idiot! I was actually going to buy another stand mixer but it would be a whole lot cheaper just to buy an extra bowl and beaters. Holy smokes! I can't believe I never thought of this before!"

Thank you so much,yelle66. I'm been having a "rough" time on CC. icon_cry.gif

Anyway -- I got the bowls for less, since they were reconditioned (and they looked just fine to me, you know how strong they are). I got the one without a handle, so it nests in the other, and the whole things takes up no more room than before. The paddle I got new.

Here's the KA site: http://www.shopkitchenaid.com/index.asp?.

And here's the re-cond. stuff: http://www.shopkitchenaid.com/sub_category.asp?HDR=OUTLET&CAT=outletrefurb

Thanks -- you made my day! icon_smile.gif And yes, thanks for starting the thread!

Thanks for the KA links, have you ever seen a refurbished mixer, do they look new or used?

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 3:43pm
post #48 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjaycakes

I have been thinking about weighing for more accuracy but I would have thought one cup of shortening would = 8 oz. icon_confused.gif

I guess I better stick with measuring until someone posts a chart! icon_wink.gif

staten93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staten93 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 4:11pm
post #49 of 61

Mine is a very basic. I got tired of trying to pin the bake even strips on a pan so I use an all metal paper clip instead. Works great and I can pull the ends of the bake even strips to make it sit tighter on the pan.

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 4:14pm
post #50 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyboots

not sure if this is a shortcut, but whenever I test a new recipe that I like, I measure the yield of the cake batter.

Then, since i know the capacity of my cake pans (rounds, squares and sheets), I am able to calculate how much ingredients I need to make any sized cake.

i do the same thing. its helps so much when i need to use another sized pan or determine how many cupcakes i can get out of a recipe.

daniassis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daniassis Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 4:21pm
post #51 of 61

Dear MissRobin

I have a refurbished KitchenAid mixer. It looked brand new when I opened the box, not a scratch. And it it works great too!

pkinkema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkinkema Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 4:49pm
post #52 of 61

Here's a cool DUH! tip I read....and it works great: Use a chop stick to easily remove all the batter or frosting from your beaters.

archanac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
archanac Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 5:01pm
post #53 of 61

I have the following two forums on my save list. It has A LOT of valuable information:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-50039.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-290323.html

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 5:22pm
post #54 of 61

Another "duh" one for me. I finally figured out that if I lay my icing bag on the counter and use the edge of my icing spatula to "scrape down" the residual icing towards the tip I can get almost ALL of the icing out of the bag easily and clean up is not so messy.

I have a feeling I'll be reformed to the saran wrap method though--what a great idea! It would really save my bags!

I love this thread!

juleskaye518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleskaye518 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 6:41pm
post #55 of 61

I use the saran wrap method and love it!!
I'm afraid of freezing cakes, though, especially this month, I really would love to. How exactly do you wrap it/ them?

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 7:02pm
post #56 of 61

I use the Saran Wrap method for my icing as well, it's a real time saver. Love all the information I'm getting here.

Question - how do you save a thread from the forum?

Thanks

archanac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
archanac Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 9:04pm
post #57 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnell

Question - how do you save a thread from the forum?

The bottom of the thread has an option for "watch this topic for replies" (Bonnell, the bottom of your thread will say "Stop Watching This Topic" because you posted a comment in this thread and therefore it is automatically saved). If you click on "watch this topic for replies" then you will "save" the thread. If you look in the menu that is above this thread's name, you will see the options "Search - Buddy List - Ignore List - Watched Topics [etc.]" If you click on the Watched Topics link, it will take you to your list of threads that are saved.

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 12:12am
post #58 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee-lite

Today I was making a large order of cupcakes and deciced to use my pancake batter dispenser, WOW WHAT A GREAT TOOL...Just though I would share ....What is your favorite baking shortcut/timesaver? thumbs_up.gif

I also use my icecream scoop for cupcake batter. Less mess.

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 12:29am
post #59 of 61

Archanac,

Thanks for the info. Can you tell I'm still trying to find my way around this site.

kellymarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellymarie Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 1:01am
post #60 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb173

I use a silverware tray for keeping my paint brushes, gum paste tools, exacto knife, etc. I set it on my work table when doing a project and have them all handy when I need one.

Great idea!!! I'm stealing it icon_lol.gif

I use a ice cream scoop with my cupcake batter as well

I also have one of those rolling storage bins (with 5 drawers) and that helps a lot with organizing tools and ribbons etc.

I make batches of dry ingredients of my cakes in big ziplocks

Great thread!!

thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%