Favorite Shortcut/timesaver

Decorating By dee-lite Updated 11 Nov 2008 , 2:11am by jenncowin

dee-lite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dee-lite Posted 28 May 2008 , 12:49pm
post #1 of 61

Today I was making a large order of cupcakes and deciced to use my pancake batter dispenser, WOW WHAT A GREAT TOOL...Just though I would share ....What is your favorite baking shortcut/timesaver? thumbs_up.gif

60 replies
Melan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melan Posted 28 May 2008 , 5:48pm
post #2 of 61

Glad you started this thread... Not sure what mine is -still trying to find ways to shorten my time... but I do like to store my BC in gallon zip lock bags. They are so easy to snip off the tip, and squeeze into a pastry bag when i am ready to use it. Other than that... I'm still looking for timesaving tips!

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 28 May 2008 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 61

Putting spices in larger-mouthed containers (to be fair, I think indydebi also came up with this too!).

Having multiples of measuring cups.

Buying another set of KA bowls and beaters.

Putting all cake supplies -- even the small ones like baking powder -- together on the same shelf.

Make a white-board/dry erase board to list all fillings, icings, and cakes for the week.

Typing up recipes so they are all in the same place, in a clear-pocket binder. (CarolAnn also does this too, I think).

Hope this helps. Thanks for the thread! icon_smile.gif

dee-lite Posted 28 May 2008 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 61

My best tip is the way I organize my tips -I bought a tackle box painted it pretty then labled each drawer for each type of tip and assorted cake supplies-I loooove it ! Here's a photo....
LL

Melan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melan Posted 28 May 2008 , 8:21pm
post #5 of 61

I forgot! I store my flavorings and colors in the large coffee containers -they sit well in the corner of my cabinets and can be stacked.

I also like to put a copy of recipes up on the wall behind my mixer where I am using them. When I am done, I just toss them and can print what I need from my computer the next time.

I keep several measuring spoons/cups as well... makes it easier having multiples.

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 28 May 2008 , 8:41pm
post #6 of 61

I make a tub of frosting at a time, that way I have it on hand when I need it. I use a rubber band to "close" the end of a decorating bag and a piece of plastic wrap between the coupler and the ring so I can store the icing in my bags and I won't have to prepare a bag every time, it's also very helpful when I have icing in different colors. I usually use them by the end of the week and then start over. I bought a package of baking paper similar to parchment paper but it comes in 18"X26"sheets so I just change them when I'm baking cookies.
Having several sets of utensils I use the most like beaters, bowls, spatulas, measuring cups/spoons, baking pans.
I use an ice cream soop to pour batter into my cupcake cups.

Ah-na Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ah-na Posted 28 May 2008 , 9:06pm
post #7 of 61

Saving this topic!!! I don't know if this is time saving or just organization but I have three different colored stackable storage bins. One's labels cookie cutter/stencils another one is labeled basics (for bags and tips and such) and the third is labeled fondant/gumpaste (all the tools for fondant and such). So easy to find what I'm looking for!

mommycakediva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommycakediva Posted 28 May 2008 , 9:07pm
post #8 of 61

I make my icing and fondant ahead of time that way I can pull it out when its needed! Also I have med. sized baskets on my shelf that I have labelled what is in them, on the front, its saves me looking through everything!

deeb173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deeb173 Posted 28 May 2008 , 9:24pm
post #9 of 61

I use a silverware tray for keeping my paint brushes, gum paste tools, exacto knife, etc. I set it on my work table when doing a project and have them all handy when I need one.

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 28 May 2008 , 9:52pm
post #10 of 61

This is probably no-brainer, but when my cakes are baking, I'm mixing up more batter, getting it ready in the pans, so when the first cakes are done, the new ones are all ready to get popped in the oven! If I don't need more cake, when cakes are baking, I'll mix up my buttercream, fillings....

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 28 May 2008 , 11:26pm
post #11 of 61

I don't know if this is time saving or lazy... but I buy shortening or high-ratio in large qty's anduse my pampered chef measuring cup (the one that will push out the sticky stuff) to measure out. I pull the inside down so it is at a cup and then put a sandwhich bag in (think like a baby bottle liner) and then measure out my shortening.

When I have 1cup measured out I pull out the bag, zip it up and toss it into a large tub (I currently use empty 1 gal. ice cream buckets) Then when I need shortening for icing I just pull out a bag and toss it in the bowl to mix.

I don't have to clean my measuring cup this way either!! Only my spatual that I use to fill the bag.

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 29 May 2008 , 12:06am
post #12 of 61

leily!!! OH WOW!!! Great idea!!! I SO need to do that!! Another thing that I WANT to do, is to make up cake mixes...mix up all the dry ingredients into ziplock bags, so when I need em, just pour them in. Would save TONS of time!!

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 29 May 2008 , 12:54am
post #13 of 61

I do something similar to Leily except I use plastic wrap on my scale, and then just wrap it up. icon_smile.gif

I use the WASC cake, and it's many variations most of the time so I have started sifting my 2 cups each of flour and sugar and put them in ziplocks... Working about 10 hours a day with the commute, this saves me a LOT of time when I want to bake when I get home from work. icon_smile.gif

If I am making different flavor tier's for a cake, I will measure out my "wet" ingredient - one set into the mixer, and one set into a bowl so I can put away the oil, eggs, flavoring, etc. all at once. icon_smile.gif

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:09am
post #14 of 61

Can I just say Petit-four you are my new favorite person! I am such an idiot! I was actually going to buy another stand mixer but it would be a whole lot cheaper just to buy an extra bowl and beaters. Holy smokes! I can't believe I never thought of this before!

What an awesome thread!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:16am
post #15 of 61

Checking the archives on CC for information before posting the same question which has been asked a million times before. It saves everyone time - me because I get the answer right away, and all of you because you don't have to post the same answer you did yesterday, or last week, or last month, etc.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:37am
post #16 of 61

Charging what I'm worth.

That way, my orders are limited, and I'm not freaking out trying to make 50 $20 cakes in a week. icon_smile.gif

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:43am
post #17 of 61

Dee-lite, I love your organizer! I was seriously considering it, but now that I actually have a visual, I am going to do it!

For cupcakes, I went out and bought 4 more 12 cup pans, I can fit 4 in the oven at a time, so I constantly have 4 in their, when the 48 are baking, I'm lining and filling 48 more. Love it!

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 29 May 2008 , 2:02am
post #18 of 61

Ok, you're gonna hate me, but I think my biggest timesaver will be my new bakery that's being built onto the back of our garage. I will no longer spend a total of a couple of hours and many trips back and forth to the "cake closet" in the back bedroom, the "pan shelves" in the basement and the "boxes of cardboard under the bed" every time I do a cake -- then do everything in reverse when I'm done. At the moment the bakery is a big wooden box, but the electrician and plumber should be ready for inspection this week or the beginning of next and then the insulation and drywall can begin. As horrid as the drywall process is it is, at least, the beginning of the end. Yeah!! I'm hoping to be in before heading off to the ICES convention in July.

dee-lite Posted 29 May 2008 , 2:08am
post #19 of 61

Yep, hate ya icon_wink.gif

Lorendabug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorendabug Posted 29 May 2008 , 2:18am
post #20 of 61

For every recipe I try I write notes on it so I can remember little things about it. Like needs to bake for 25min., would go great with..., should try this next time, etc.

For every cake/cupcake/etc. that I decorate I write down what tips I used, colors, icings, how long it took etc. Then I put all of that in a binder with a picture of the finished product. So, if I ever need to duplicate a cake I know exactly what I did.

My grandmother taught me that, she was the best!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 29 May 2008 , 3:06am
post #21 of 61

It seems like more than half of my orders are for sheets...11X15 in particular. When I buy the 19X13 cardboards for them, I go ahead and cover them all with freezer paper. Then they're ready to go when I need them.

I also purchased an extra bowl and paddle for my KA.

I use a long handled wooden spoon to get my couplers in place. I just put the coupler on the spoon handle, put that through the disposable bag opening, push the handle through the coupler, then pull firmly on the handle until the coupler is where it needs to be. I'm probably the last person to figure that one out!

I use cooking spray instead of shortening/flour to grease my pans. It saves me time.

One more thing, if my recipe calls for flavoring and also calls for milk, I add the flavoring to the milk when I measure it out. Not such a big time-saver in the grand scheme of things, but it does save me one step.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 29 May 2008 , 3:14am
post #22 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Checking the archives on CC for information before posting the same question which has been asked a million times before. It saves everyone time - me because I get the answer right away, and all of you because you don't have to post the same answer you did yesterday, or last week, or last month, etc.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Lately, this has actually not saved me time - as I end up finding several threads that "do not exist". *sigh*

kendi25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kendi25 Posted 29 May 2008 , 3:53am
post #23 of 61

All great ideas, Thanks

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 29 May 2008 , 10:09am
post #24 of 61

BrandisBaked -

I run into that also. I know that we lost some threads from Oct '07 to Mar '08, but sometimes I can't get to page 2 of the unanswered posts or threads, or even my own watched topics.

We had that problem before, but it was only a few of us who mentioned it, so it took a while before the solution was found.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 29 May 2008 , 2:15pm
post #25 of 61

"Can I just say Petit-four you are my new favorite person! I am such an idiot! I was actually going to buy another stand mixer but it would be a whole lot cheaper just to buy an extra bowl and beaters. Holy smokes! I can't believe I never thought of this before!"

Thank you so much,yelle66. I'm been having a "rough" time on CC. icon_cry.gif

Anyway -- I got the bowls for less, since they were reconditioned (and they looked just fine to me, you know how strong they are). I got the one without a handle, so it nests in the other, and the whole things takes up no more room than before. The paddle I got new.

Here's the KA site: http://www.shopkitchenaid.com/index.asp?.

And here's the re-cond. stuff: http://www.shopkitchenaid.com/sub_category.asp?HDR=OUTLET&CAT=outletrefurb

Thanks -- you made my day! icon_smile.gif And yes, thanks for starting the thread!

dee-lite Posted 29 May 2008 , 2:48pm
post #26 of 61

This is kind of a wierd one-If you need to "level a pan like a character pan that tou can't use even bake strips on or don't have any or don't really need precision leveling do this....As soon as the cake comes out use a clean kitchen towel and lay it (double it) across the cake and smoosh down the dome level...I do this all the time for cakes that dont really nee an exactly flat surface.Works like a charm l

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 29 May 2008 , 4:53pm
post #27 of 61

I have duplicate pans and tips, that saves me time. And mixing my icing while cake is baking. My biggest decorating time saver is the cake icer tip.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 29 May 2008 , 4:59pm
post #28 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee-lite

Today I was making a large order of cupcakes and deciced to use my pancake batter dispenser, WOW WHAT A GREAT TOOL...Just though I would share ....What is your favorite baking shortcut/timesaver? thumbs_up.gif

i just love this idea. i've always wanted to get one of those...now i have more than one reason to purchase that. icon_wink.gif

egg carton to hold my gum paste tulips while they dry.
tuna fish can to make individual cakes.
icon_wink.gif

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 29 May 2008 , 5:06pm
post #29 of 61

OMG!!!Leily! I love taht idea! I just got my Pampered chef measuring cup and used it for sour cream...I can't wait to do this w/ shortening! Thanks!!!! icon_smile.gif

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 29 May 2008 , 5:11pm
post #30 of 61

Just echoing a few tips that have been mentioned:

Pampered Chef measure-all cup for shortening
ice cream scoop for filling cupcakes batter
multiples of commonly used tips

I use a dishwasher cage for baby bottle parts for my couplers and tips - just rinse a little to get the big blobs out then toss in on the top rack - come out perfectly clean and grease free.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%