Colored Rice Krispie Treat Question

Decorating By debo_04 Updated 28 May 2008 , 9:33am by realms

debo_04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debo_04 Posted 28 May 2008 , 8:35am
post #1 of 3

I am having a "pool party" theme birthday for my five year old this year. I am making a pool cake and my daughter wants me to make rice krispie treats also. I'd like to make them look like beach balls, except I have no idea how to color them. I thought maybe I'd get four friends and make four batches of rice krispies and color one batch yellow, blue, red and one white and then create a quick assembly line where we each make a tube of color and stick it all together to make a ball at the end, but this sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. I'd also thought of covering the balls with fondant, but my family/friends are not that fond of the taste of fondant and I'd end up with tons of krispie treats uneaten. So, here I am begging for any ideas or tips on "painting" or coloring the treats. I'd like it to be Kid friendly...........colored buttercream just sounds like a big mess.
Thanks in advance for any advise!!!
Deb

2 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 28 May 2008 , 9:23am
post #2 of 3

You can color them with food coloring...my mom always used liquid colors mixed with the melted marshmallow. You can also color and flavor them with a little bit of koolaid powder mixed in.

I can't think of a good way to make multi-colored balls, except maybe if you have a mini-ball pan, you could put two colors in each ball half, then stick two halves together to make a four-colored ball (pam spray the pan first).

Rice Krispie pool floats would be cute too...cut them with a donut cutter, add a little red licorice rope to be the string, and if you want to get carried away, pipe a few drop flowers on to look like the patterns those inflatable rings always have.

realms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
realms Posted 28 May 2008 , 9:33am
post #3 of 3

Since you can't do fondant the only best suggestion I could give you is to cut circles from your rice krispie treats and then use royal icing to design the tops as beach balls. The idea of coloring the rice krispies sounds good at first but if you think it through they may just look like color wheels in the end.

You can get great recipes for cookie icing here (I would suggest Antonia74's icing recipe) and still enlist your friends to help, each person gets a color and work assembly line style. If you don't have squeeze bottles for the icing application you can get some at Michael's in their Wilton isle (I got a tub of 18 bottles for $20) or check local restaurant supply stores open to the public in your area.

Here is an image of a beach ball you can use to help with a pattern:

http://www.ricekrispies.ca/img/global/party/beach_bg.jpg

HTH!

Good luck and post pictures, would love to see the beach balls and the pool cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%