Petit Fours

Decorating By Texas_Rose Updated 28 May 2008 , 6:12pm by mkmetz

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 28 May 2008 , 3:57am
post #1 of 9

I've never made petit fours before because they remind me of Little Debbie cakes. However, my sister is on a diet and suffering from the delusion that petit fours have less calories than regular cake, and she wants me to make them for her birthday. So I'm wondering...

1.Can they be covered in rolled fondant, or will the weight of it and the smoothing just squish them?

2.Do they need to be covered in buttercream before being covered in rolled fondant, or would a light glaze to glue the fondant on work well enough?

3.Should they be soaked in syrup or liqueur before they're assembled?

And I'd love any other advice that anyone has about making them, too.

Thanks!

8 replies
babyqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyqueen Posted 28 May 2008 , 4:08am
post #2 of 9

You tend to use poured fondant on them, and usually after putting apricot jam or sugar syrup.
Look up poured fondant for recipes. I like ones from scratch, not the ones from fondant, because most people don't really love fondant flavour.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 28 May 2008 , 4:16am
post #3 of 9

Someone on CC had a blog where she made AMAZING petit fours. I'll see if I have the link somewhere.

BRB

PattyT Posted 28 May 2008 , 4:21am
post #4 of 9

Here's one - but I know there's another. They're pink. Maybe someone else has it.

http://cakesandcupboards.blogspot.com/2008/01/lisas-easy-petits-fours.html

By the way, I do miniatures all the time and I just take any recipe for brownies, bars etc. and make them smaller. Decorate however you like and voila!
LL

PattyT Posted 28 May 2008 , 4:31am
post #5 of 9

Still not finding what I'm looking for (senior moment - sigh!) but here's one I found in my Favorites - gorgeous.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1207676

auntsteff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsteff Posted 28 May 2008 , 8:16am
post #6 of 9

Here are 2 sites that I used when I made petit fours in April. I decided that I don't cut well enough to use a knife. I used a biscuit cutter and 1 recipe of cake mix, but cooked in 2 pans to get them thin enough to use the biscuit cutter. The only place I found in my area to get petit four cutters was Williams Sonoma and I wasn't ready to invest that much money right now. I got around 40 petit fours from the 1 cake mix, but I used a Cake Mix Doctor recipe, I did not follow the box. I got rave reviews from the church and from people at work that ate the "giblets" that were left over.

Alos, PM me for a very low fat cake recipe. Maybe you can make her a cake after all! Just don't tell her it's low fat before you let her taste it. I promise she will be surpised when she finds out!

http://cakesandcupboards.blogspot.com/2008/01/lisas-easy-petits-fours.html

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-482313-petit.html+fours
(youtube link @ bottom of post)

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 28 May 2008 , 11:37am
post #7 of 9

the cakes & cupboards (Lisa's) site was were I was going to point you to as well. She's got step by step instructions with pictures. I have been afraid to try them until I saw her pictorial and now I can't wait to make them as favors for a wedding in August! (I do plan to make a practice run first - hubby will enjoy that! LOL)

mkmetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkmetz Posted 28 May 2008 , 6:08pm
post #8 of 9

I've made several orders of petit fours and have created a glaze that is so delicious--everyone loves it. I just didn't like the sweet poured glaze that is traditionally used. I basically just add water and heat my buttercream. I put 2 sticks of unsalted butter on the stove over low heat (use a stainless steel pan). Once melted, add 1 tsp flavoring-I usually add almond extract. Stir in 1/4 cup whipping cream and 2 tbsp water. Then add about 3/4 of a 2lb bag of sifted powdered sugar--about 5 cups. If it's still too thick, then add more water just a dab at a time. I keep this glaze on low heat, stirring between applications. I also pour it over small squares of cold cake, preferable frozen for at least 1 hour (cake is easier to cut into small squares if it's cold). It should harden within about 15 min. If not, then it's too thin and you'll need to add more powdered sugar to the glaze. I've found that making nice petit fours just takes practice! Good luck!

mkmetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkmetz Posted 28 May 2008 , 6:12pm
post #9 of 9

Also, I don't soak the cake or put any frosting on it before glazing. I just use a very moist almond cake recipe and bake in a shallow pan, so they aren't too tall/thick. After freezing the cake, I cut it into squares and flip it over, using the bottom as my top. (I line my baking pans with parchment, so the bottom of the cake is usually much smoother than the top.) I think traditionally petit fours have a jam on them, but I like this quick method of making petit fours!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%