Pressed Sugar... How Do I Paint?

Sugar Work By pinklesley1 Updated 12 Aug 2008 , 12:31am by seasonsmoke

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 28 May 2008 , 12:44am
post #1 of 5

I took a class at one of my local cake supply places on pressed sugar... but she painted all of our stuff with an airbrush... which doesnt give it the details that i want...
how can i paint the pressed sugar ... can i paint it with a brush and gel food coloring?

i want to know bc i am signed up for the next TD and i want to add some of the pressed sugar stuff that i made, but want to paint some details on them...

help .... please and thank u

4 replies
Marci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marci Posted 30 May 2008 , 1:28am
post #2 of 5

I am not sure. But, I would make some pieces and let them dry over night and then try it out. I would make sure my color wasn't too wet (usually you mix the gel color with a bit of water or vodka).

Sorry... haven't tried it yet.
Marci

waywordz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
waywordz Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:46am
post #3 of 5

I've done sugar molding and added details using RI after they are dried. I've tinted my water before I molded the items. Do you add meringue powder to your dry sugar before you mold? Supposed to add strength. HTH

waywordz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
waywordz Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:51am
post #4 of 5

Sorry, forgot. If you really want to paint I'd try using (thick) gel color on a pallet with a brush. No liquid. And you won't contaminate your gel color by dipping in it and sugar.

seasonsmoke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seasonsmoke Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 12:31am
post #5 of 5

I also would like to know how to get more detail on the pressed sugar. Were you able to try the ideas and did they work?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%