First Wedding Cake...suggestions, Help?

Decorating By busdriverbecky Updated 27 May 2008 , 9:52pm by sarahnichole975

busdriverbecky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busdriverbecky Posted 27 May 2008 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 5

Okay So I have my first wedding cake to make in 2 weeks. The bride wants 4 tiers, buttercream with sea shells. I have made a few 2 tiered cakes ....but the thought of 4 tiers scares the daylights out of me. Any stacking help would be appreciated...How do I drop a tier on to the cake with out screwing it up?
Is there usually a protocall on how many layers inside the cake...I usually only do 2 layers with one layer of buttercream in the middle.
Any suggestions on the sea shells...I figured I am going to make choc. shells out of molds.
Where do I get that luster dust that makes everything look so pearly and shinny...my local craft store doesnt sell it.
So many questions I know....I am just so nervous...

4 replies
kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 27 May 2008 , 9:00pm
post #2 of 5

First of all, relax.........a 4 tiered cake is just two 2-tiered cakes, if you can stack two, you can certainly stack 4. My first tiered cake was my own wedding cake- 4 tiers, and coincidently seashells. You can do as many layers as you are comfortable doing- I bake 2 two layer cakes, and then fill and stack them together to make one 4 " high tier. I use the Wilton HIdden pillars to stack and love them. The luster dust, you can guy from Global Sugar Art- and I use either white chocolate or candy melts to make sea shells, then dust them. You will get several responses I am sure, and everyone differs, you just find what you are comfortable doing and go with it- good luck and post pics when you finish! icon_wink.gif

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 27 May 2008 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 5

There is a video on youtube.com called "Assembling a Wedding Cake" that really helped me with stacking. Good luck!

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 27 May 2008 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 5

Make sure you find out if the wedding is inside or outside so you can know what type of icing to use ( I learned this the hard way this week end!!). I purchase luster dust at a local cake supply store. If you don't have time to order it and you don't have a cake store around, MIchael's and HObby Lobby sell a version that works alright.

It's all about getting your layers level and then everything else falls into place. That is the trick, for me anyway. If I have an uneven layer, then I really have to adjust. I always take my cakes out of the oven and immediately flip them over onto a wax paper surface and put a coke bottle or oil bottle on top of them. I always get nice even layers. I fill my pans pretty full so that they purposely go above the cake rim so that I can flatten the "extra" and get that nice even layer!! I have big layers though!!!!! I use bubble straws for my support system. I get them at Asian markets. They are so easy to cut and are very sturdy. I get 12 for $1.00!!!

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 27 May 2008 , 9:52pm
post #5 of 5

DOWELS...for stacked cakes they are essential. And I find that when I think I have enough, I use a couple more. I know a lot of people use the internal supports...I think they're called sps...but I've never had problems with a well doweled cake. I agree with the chocolate for the seashells. Go ahead and order your luster dust now so it comes in. And if you don't have the chocolate molds for the seashells, order those too. I got some nice ones from Pfiel and holding that I LOVE. I even use them to mold fondant as well. So see if it would be more cost effective and stable for you to use some cheap wilton fondant instead of the chocolate. Especially if it's gonna be hot and you risk the chocolate melting. IF YOU USE FONDANT BE SURE TO GET THE SOFT RUBBER MOLDS, I've tried to use the plastic ones and have failed miserably trying to get them out, even when I greased them. As for the layers, if the client is fine with two layers filled in the middle, do that, especially since it's what you know. Just make sure you have nice tall layers.

Take a breath, you're gonna do fine. Post the pics so we get to see!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%