Chocolate Recipe/tips For Strawberries

Baking By Dru329 Updated 29 May 2008 , 5:11am by shisharka

Dru329 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dru329 Posted 27 May 2008 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 5

Hello...I wanted to know what kind of chocolate you guys use for dipping strawberries/cherries? If you have a recipe that is delicious and it has worked for you could you please share it with me? I've dipped strawberries before (once) but the chocolate never quite hardened and when I put them in the cello bags they started to melt and stick together and to the bag. It was a mess. I'm just looking for a good recipe that I can always use and don't have to worry about the chocolate not hardening. (milk chocolate and white chocolate)

**OH and if anyone could share and recipe for caramel (for apples). Thanks! icon_smile.gif
[email protected]

4 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 29 May 2008 , 4:33am
post #2 of 5

I just temper some good quality chocolate and dip them in it. this gives it a harder shell. I sometimes do them in ganache though which is softer and the chocolate doesn't break apart when you bite into it. (it's just whichever you prefer)

If the chocolate never hardened (and it wasn't a ganache type of chocolate) when you put it into the bags than the chocolate wasn't tempered properly. There are 3 ways to temper chocolate. The injection method is the easiest. You take your chocolate block and melt in the microwave for 1 minute, stir and go every 10 seconds while stirring inbetween until smooth and a good consistancy for dipping. You then take a smaller size chocolate hunk and stir that into the chocolate.(I prefer working with bar chocolate rather than chips but if you must use chips a small handful.) It should completely melt. This helps cool the chocolate down and temper it. If you want a little shine add 1 tsp. of veg/canola oil to the chocolate mixture.

Make sure the strawberries are completely dry or the chocolate may seise up on you. Dip and put on a parchament lined tray. Anything that is tempered properly will not need to be put into the fridge. However, since you are dealing with strawberries these would need to be.

(It's late and my spelling is horrid right now --sorry)

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 29 May 2008 , 4:53am
post #3 of 5

You can also use chocolate coating. You can melt these with a double boiler or in the microwave. When they dry, they will dry to a hard shell, if this is what your looking for.

The most popular brands are Wilton and Guittards

crl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crl Posted 29 May 2008 , 4:54am
post #4 of 5

I have done double dipped strawberries a couple of times and used semi-sweet and white chocolate chips with a tsp of veg oil. Although I did not put the dipped strawberries in bags, I did not have a problem with the chocolate hardening.

shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 29 May 2008 , 5:11am
post #5 of 5

I second mkolmar on all counts!
I prefer a softer, non-breaking chocolate shell over the strawberry, so in a way I âcheatâ â I melt the chocolate (semi-sweet, with at least 54% cocoa) in a double boiler, add a tiny piece of butter for shine, then âtemperâ it by pouring some cold heavy cream into it⦠My ârecipesâ are of the kind âuntil it looks/feels rightâ, so unfortunately cannot give you exact amounts of cream to chocolate⦠I store the covered strawberries in the fridge and then give a moment to adjust to room temperature before serving... Never tried wrapping in cello, so I donât know how this version would hold up there⦠I hope you find a method that works for you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%