Why Can't I Get Smooth Fondant?!

Decorating By kristina67 Updated 27 May 2008 , 8:31pm by sugarshack

kristina67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristina67 Posted 27 May 2008 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 6

I have made sooo many cakes lately and I still cannot perfect my fondant. The latest method I used was placing the icing (Toba's) on the cake with the big tip like I see in the videos. I smooth it out, let it crust, smooth it more with copy paper and smoother. When my fondant is ready I lightly mist the bc and then place the rolled fondant, not too thin, over the bc. This last time I had a spot where the icing just moved so much I had bare spot. The icing went to the bottom. I tried to move it back up and smooth it out as best as I could. Every video makes it look so simple! I thought maybe my bc was to soft, but in the past I thought it was to hard because I couldn't smooth it easily. I must be missing something. I'm about ready to throw in the towel! Help!

5 replies
deeb173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deeb173 Posted 27 May 2008 , 6:03pm
post #2 of 6

When doing a fondant cake there is NOT a lot of icing on the cake. It's just basically a crumb coat so the fondant has something to stick to. The heavy fondant will move your bc around if there is a lot on the cake. You also might want to check out Sharon Zambito's DVD, Flawless Fondant. Her name on here is Sugarshack...www.sugaredproductions.com..it's only $26.95...well worth the money. I also have her buttercream DVD and it was awesome! My BC cakes are so smooth now.

kristina67 Posted 27 May 2008 , 6:11pm
post #3 of 6

great advice! I have been thinking of making the investment, so maybe I shall! What texture should the BC be? Soft so you can just glide it all over? Do you use a spatula to apply yours?

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 27 May 2008 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 6

I trim my cakes to make them straight; then a CC of crusting BC smoothed with a bench scraper; chill then apply fondant.

kristina67 Posted 27 May 2008 , 7:35pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks...you are the pro! I have a question, what is CC? So you also just put a thin layer of BC on before the fondant? I will check into your DVD's. Thanks for any more tips you can give me.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 27 May 2008 , 8:31pm
post #6 of 6

sorry, CC means crumbcoat!

icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%