Substitute Liquor For Other Liquid?

Decorating By Muse Updated 27 May 2008 , 6:34pm by pjaycakes

Muse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Muse Posted 27 May 2008 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 5

I am looking to bake a cake with vodka or rum in it. Can I substitute the alcohol for like 1/4 or 1/3 of the milk? Will that even work? Or would I have to use the same amount of milk just add in the liquor in addition?

TIA!

Darci

4 replies
Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 27 May 2008 , 3:37pm
post #2 of 5

I can't say for vodka but when I make a rum cake I substitute the rum for the buttermilk in my cakes. Works for me without any problems.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 May 2008 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 5

I'm done the sub with cake mixes. You do not want to use all alcohol or it will dry the cake out. I usually do about half alcohol and half water.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 27 May 2008 , 5:09pm
post #4 of 5

Yes you can, but vodka won't have an awful lot of taste to it. It makes a perfect mixer but not a flavoring agent icon_smile.gif

I typically use stronger flavored liquors to bake into my cakes - kahlua, gran marnier, etc. Rum, brandy and bourbon also work well. You do want to limit how much you add to the actual batter, and what to substitute it for.

Another option (which may work better with the vodka) is to brush the booze on AFTER the cake is baked - that will actually give you more punch flavor-wise, as liquors baked into the cake mellow in flavor. It really depends on what you're looking to accomplish.

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 27 May 2008 , 6:34pm
post #5 of 5

If you use sweet liquors like Kahlua or Bailey's make sure you cut the amount of sugar in half since these are very sweet and the additional sugar could make your cake sink in the middle while baking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%