Dark Chocolate Buttercream

Decorating By jguilbeau Updated 27 May 2008 , 4:49pm by diane

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 27 May 2008 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 5

does anyone know how to make a dark chocolate buttercream. I tried using the dark chololater chips but it stil looked like milk chocolate.

4 replies
kakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedecorator Posted 27 May 2008 , 3:21pm
post #2 of 5

I buy "dark chocolate cocoa" powder. It's just like the regular cocoa powder but it's dark chocolate.

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 27 May 2008 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 5

I did the dark chocolate cocoa powder once, but found I didn't care a whole lot for the color it turned the icing. Maybe you could add some of the powder to the icing you already blended with the chips. If it a darker color you're looking for, perhaps you could add in some chocolate brown icing color after you add your chocolate and/or cocoa powder.

CHuffmyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CHuffmyer Posted 27 May 2008 , 3:39pm
post #4 of 5

I made the recipe in the Wilton Yearbooks. They have a regular chocolate buttercream and a darker one. It does turn out nice and dark brown and doesn't taste too bad. It's a really simple recipe. It just calls for more cocoa powder than regular choc. recipes.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 27 May 2008 , 4:49pm
post #5 of 5

here are two recipes.

Dark Chocolate Butter Cream Icing
Yield: 5 cups

4oz. dark chocolate, coarsly chopped
2 cups whole milk
6TBS. cornstarch
2 cups unsalted butter, softened at room temp
2 cups SIFTED confectioner's sugar
2TBS. pure vanilla extract

1) Melt chocolate completely then cool at room temperature.
2) Heat milk and cornstarch, stirring constantly until thoroughly blended and cooked.
Texture should be like thick pudding. Remove from heat and strain mixture to
remove any lumps
3) Beat the milk mixture on medium until the bottom of the bowl is slightly cool,
about 5 minutes. Set bowl aside
4) In another bowl, cream butter on medium speed until smooth. Reduce speed to
low and incorportate sugar and mix until thoroughly incorporated. Add the cooled
milk mixture at little at a time, mixing each addition thoroughly.
5) Add the cooled chocolate. Blend thoroughly at low speed.
***Make sure chocolate is at room temp. If it is too warm, it will melt the butter.
If it is too cold, it will resolidify on contact. studding the frosting with specks of
chocolate.

dark Chocolate Butter Cream Icing

* 10 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
* 1 lb. unsalted butter, at room temp
* 1 lb. 8 oz. powdered sugar
* 1/8 tsp. salt
* 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
* 1/2 cup sour cream

Melt and cool chocolate (until just slightly warm). Beat butter until light and fluffy. With mixer on low speed, gradually add powdered sugar. Add salt, vanilla and sour cream and mix until very smooth. Add chocolate and mix until just incorporated.

*Don't over-whip and add too much air into the frosting. The consistency should be rich and dense, like ice cream!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%