Fondant Sugar-What Is It Used For?

Decorating By SecretAgentCakeBaker Updated 27 May 2008 , 2:42pm by bashini

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 27 May 2008 , 11:05am
post #1 of 6

I purchased a bag of fondant sugar. I know that it is a finer version of powdered sugar, but I don't know what it is used for. The recipes I have seen for fondants do not seem to call for it, just the regular 10x sugar.

Thanks for your help!!

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 May 2008 , 1:14pm
post #2 of 6

The recipes dont' specifically call for it because it's not widely available, although 10X powdered sugar is. In fact, all during culinary school and in over 40 years of baking, I've never seen nor heard of fondant sugar.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 27 May 2008 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 6

The bag says fondant sugar. It is Niblack brand. The ingredients are sugar & invert sugar. It was a bit expensive. $4.75 for 2 lbs.

It appears to be finer than the 10x sugar. I have not opened it yet because I don't know what to use it for.

I was wondering if this is what people use to make the poured fondant or the glaze for petits fours?

Thanks!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 27 May 2008 , 2:18pm
post #4 of 6

Hi there, here in UK, we too have Fondant sugar. I use it to cover the cup cakes. I'm sure like you said, you can use it for petits four. icon_smile.gif

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 27 May 2008 , 2:29pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

Hi there, here in UK, we too have Fondant sugar. I use it to cover the cup cakes. I'm sure like you said, you can use it for petits four. icon_smile.gif

Thanks. Do you have any recipes you can point me to? I imagine it must be sweeter than 10x sugar, so probably cannot used the same amounts? I really have no clue and don't want to waste it by experimenting.

Thanks!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 27 May 2008 , 2:42pm
post #6 of 6

I use small amounts at a time, depending on how many cup cakes I have to cover. I would start from 1 1/2 - 2 cups of fondant sugar and then add water little at a time and get the consistancy you want. ( Not too runny ). If you want to, you can add flavouring and color too. Here is a link on how to cover cup cakes. You have to get the pourd fondant to the consistancy that she shows here. But in this demo, she is using melted fondant.

http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/how-to-cover-cupcakes-with-poured-fondant/

HTH. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%