Need Help With Strawberries On Wedding Cake

Decorating By Classycakes Updated 27 May 2008 , 10:47pm by Classycakes

Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 27 May 2008 , 12:27am
post #1 of 21

I have a bride who wants fresh strawberries on her wedding cake. Will the strawberries discolour the buttercream icing? How should I prepare them? I know I can dip the bottoms in white chocolate but she really wants them plain. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

20 replies
Hawkette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hawkette Posted 27 May 2008 , 2:12am
post #2 of 21

Beware! If you cut the strawberries, such as to do a fan or even potentially cutting the tops off, strawberries bleed after a while and leak liquid all over your cake. It happened with the Mother's Day cake I made a few years ago (in my gallery). It seemed like such a great idea. I put it in the center of the table while we ate dinner. The smell was heavenly, but it started bleeding all down the sides and I kept mopping at it with a napkin.

I think if you don't cut them and dry them REALLY well before placing on the cake, you might be ok, but hopefully someone who has more experience with them can tell you for sure.

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 27 May 2008 , 2:25am
post #3 of 21

maybe you can put a toothpick in the strawberry then stick it on the cake so it's not touching all the way. I'm not sure but sounds like an ok idea

Classycakes Posted 27 May 2008 , 11:36am
post #4 of 21

Thanks for your advice Hawkette. I think they look nice with the little bit of green showing on the tops so I'd rather leave them whole. I've seen so many cake pictures with strawberries and the cake looks gorgeous with not a hint of stain. A wedding cake has to sit for hours before it's actually cut but I'd hate to have big ole red stains seeping down the sides just when the bride is getting ready to cut. Maybe I'll use plastic strawberries icon_twisted.gif !!! Boy, the bride will get a fright then when she tries to bite into one! lol

I was thinking about your toothpick idea Karema but I'm thinking that once the toothpick pierces the berry, the juice will run down. But I won't know til I try - thank you!

I'm guessing that decorators must glaze them or something. There's got to be some little trick to it! I make strawberry shortcakes for my family during the summer but usually the cake is eaten so fast, there's no time for the juice to run.

hmmmm.....strawberry shortcake.......must have some........

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 27 May 2008 , 11:46am
post #5 of 21

I've never had luck with it! Even when they are chocolate covered, once strawberries hit room temp, they tend to bleed some.

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 27 May 2008 , 12:01pm
post #6 of 21

Just make sure you don't use any that have any hint of a bruise; use ones in only perfect condition. I've done it a few times without any issue, and no staining resulted. Of course, wash them, and dry, dry, dry them before putting on the cake.

tygre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tygre Posted 27 May 2008 , 1:16pm
post #7 of 21

I have a cake in my gallery that has fresh blueberries and raspberries on it, the cake was set up about 4 hours before the reception and I had no problem with it, just be certain that the berries are dry before you put them on the cake. The one in my pics is the red/white/blue with celitic sugar knots and mickky/minnie caketopper.

Tootall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tootall Posted 27 May 2008 , 1:25pm
post #8 of 21

I've always had trouble with mine bleeding, although I haven't used them very often. Can someone tell me why sugaring the berries makes them bleed like crazy?? icon_confused.gif Does it draw the moisture out or something??

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 27 May 2008 , 1:29pm
post #9 of 21

Oh wow, yes...adding sugar to fruit makes them softer and draws the juice out.

Classycakes Posted 27 May 2008 , 1:35pm
post #10 of 21

Looks yummy tygre!

To get more information, I've also googled this strawberry issue. From what I can see, everything points to what karen has said ---- the fruit has to be REALLY, REALLY dry.

So the secret is.....dry, dry, dry, perfect condition, very firm strawberries!

I think I'll do a small test run beforehand just for curiousity sake to see how long it will take for the strawberries to bleed on a buttercream cake. (Though how I'm going to keep a cake untouched in this house is beyond me!)

Thanks to everyone for advice - I appreciate your help. I feel much more confident about this whole thing now!

You're the best!!!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 27 May 2008 , 1:57pm
post #11 of 21

I NEVER have luck with fruit, period. The sugar seems to just draw out the water. I put sliced strawberries in a cake once and it just ran right through the dams and bariers of buttercream and gels...

Lightningale21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lightningale21 Posted 27 May 2008 , 2:14pm
post #12 of 21

Do you think the bride would mind if you used a fruit glaze on them? I use it a lot and never have a problem with the fruit bleeding. Or maybe you could just glaze the bottom half? I don't know, but the glaze adds a nice shine to the berries and makes for better pics icon_lol.gif

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 27 May 2008 , 2:18pm
post #13 of 21

Lightningale21~ what type of glaze do you use?

Classycakes Posted 27 May 2008 , 2:23pm
post #14 of 21

Lightningale, what is a fruit glaze? Is this something you make yourself or is it something you buy already prepared? Does it dry hard like a wax?

Chrisi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrisi Posted 27 May 2008 , 2:23pm
post #15 of 21

I did a wedding cake with fresh strawberries, but I also used strawberry sauce. Check out my gallery. It was was really easy, but the ones on top kept falling off. It wasn't until after the wedding I realized I should have secured them in with tooth picks. icon_rolleyes.gif

Hope this helps.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 27 May 2008 , 2:25pm
post #16 of 21

I would glaze them. Use very firm, slightly under ripe berries, and once they are really dry, brush them with melted and slightly cooled strawberry or currant jelly. Then let that dry again. Warning: I haven't tried that on fondant or crusting buttercream, but on SMBC or custard fillings (as in a tart) the glazed berries don't bleed. HTH

Lightningale21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lightningale21 Posted 27 May 2008 , 3:03pm
post #17 of 21

I use a clear glaze by Bakemark, although once in a while i make my own, works just as well (starch, glucose or white corn syrup and water)
The Bakemark glaze is a little thicker, and can be microwaved and thinned out with water.

Classycakes Posted 27 May 2008 , 5:03pm
post #18 of 21

Thank you for the glaze tips Lightningale & luddroth. I'll definitely give that a try!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 27 May 2008 , 5:54pm
post #19 of 21

Since you can't keep a cake untouched long enough to test it out, you could probably just put a couple strawberries on a blob of bc in a saucer and see how it does.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 27 May 2008 , 6:08pm
post #20 of 21

Since you can't keep a cake untouched long enough to test it out, you could probably just put a couple strawberries on a blob of bc in a saucer and see how it does.

Classycakes Posted 27 May 2008 , 10:47pm
post #21 of 21

That really is a good idea jammjenks - it's a quick & easy way to test out how long the strawberries can sit in buttercream before they start to stain. I'll put out two dishes of buttercream and put plain strawberries in one and glazed in the other. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%