Real Ribbon...how?

Decorating By Taigen Updated 27 May 2008 , 8:02pm by Taigen

Taigen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Taigen Posted 26 May 2008 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 9

When using real ribbon how do you secure it around and to itself in the cake? Toothpicks? I have seen where some folks say to iron it with wax paper to stop the buttercream from leaving grease marks but I have never seen how anyone actually secures it to the cake.
Thanks for any insight you can offer.
Taigen

8 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 May 2008 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 9

Well, first, you really should not use real ribbon as it has dyes and chemicals in/on it that are not food safe.

If you choose to do it anyway, then just wrap it aroudnthe cake and secure with a pearl head pin or dots of icing.

But you really, should not put fabric ribbon on a cake. Use edible ribbon instead.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 26 May 2008 , 11:09pm
post #3 of 9

also, I have never understood how wax paper works with an iron. I tried it and it didnt do a thing. Instead, cut the wax paper and place it behind the ribbon so it doesnt touch the cake.

I also secure it with a pretty ball pin. (so it looks nice from the back)

I wish I could food safe ribbon, but I haven't found it. (not satin ribbon anyway). Does anyone have a web site?

leah_s Posted 27 May 2008 , 1:27am
post #4 of 9

Food safe ribbon = fondant. You do it yourself.

Hawkette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hawkette Posted 27 May 2008 , 2:09am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

Instead, cut the wax paper and place it behind the ribbon so it doesnt touch the cake.

Loriemoms -- has that worked for you? If so, what's your trick? I tried that on my MIL birthday cake (in my gallery). I cut pieces of waxed paper and put it behind the ribbon, but the grease soaked in anyway. It started at the very edges (where the waxed paper was a little shorter so it wouldn't show) and within an hour had soaked all the way through the entire ribbon.

loriemoms Posted 27 May 2008 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Food safe ribbon = fondant. You do it yourself.

Unfortantly, brides want fabric ribbon, not fondant ribbon. They love the look!

loriemoms Posted 27 May 2008 , 1:43pm
post #7 of 9

I havent had any problems with it...with super thin ribbon, I put packing tape on the back of it to stop the buttercream from soaking through.

leah_s Posted 27 May 2008 , 1:45pm
post #8 of 9

Interesting. I have brides at the consultatino ask for it. When I explain why I refuse to do it, they are fine. I know that it's wrong to use it, and I won't do it. Every bride, (and I do 90 weddings a year) says, "Oh I never thought of that. Well you're the professional. Thanks for the heads up." or something similar. And orders the fondant ribbon.

Taigen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Taigen Posted 27 May 2008 , 8:02pm
post #9 of 9

Wow I am really glad I asked as I had never thought of it not being "food safe" to be honest with you. I see so many pictures with ribbons on cakes that it really never crossed my mind that it would be in appropriate to use. So glad I asked...but I have to admit I am surprised that a pin would be used to secure it to the cake...I thought that metal was a huge no no, that's why I thought toothpicks.
I will tell my neice about the ribbon issue and see if she would like the fondant ribbon, I could maybe use a shimmer powder or something to give it a bit of a shine. I seem to remember something about using corn syrup or something to give a shimmer? Anyone know?
Thanks again for the heads up, I do appreciate it icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%