Diabetic Recipes Please!!!!

Baking By catin Updated 8 Jul 2008 , 1:54pm by armywifebryan

catin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catin Posted 26 May 2008 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 13

I'm Making a end of the year Cake for all of my children (3) . It will be a surprise for their classes . But I have a little problem finding a good recipe for my oldest boys class to enjoy . Here is the problem ... One of his class mates is Diabetic and I want her to enjoy the cake along with her class mates as well (don't like to exclude anyone!!) .

Can anyone one help with this one . I searched the recipes and no luck once again . I don't know what else I can do ...

Cake and Frosting Recipes would be greatly appreciated ...

Thanks

12 replies
KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 26 May 2008 , 4:09pm
post #2 of 13

It might be best to talk to the parent or guardian of this child. Diabetes in children is not being treated the way it was in the past. As long as a parent knows ahead of time what the child will be eating, most of them can eat just like their peers (the insulin dosage is just adjusted). It just depends. Sugar-free cakes in my experience are not very good tasting.

terrier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrier Posted 26 May 2008 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 13

CHOCOLATE CAKE ROLL (DIABETIC)  

4 eggs, separated
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
2 tbsp. SugarTwin
3/4 c. skim milk
2 tsp. vanilla flavoring
1/4 tsp. almond flavoring
3/4 c. all-purpose flour
1/3 c. cocoa
3 tbsp. SugarTwin
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt

Spray jelly roll pan (15x10x1 inch) with Baker's Joy or grease well and lightly flour pan.

Beat egg whites with cream of tartar at high speed until foamy. Add 2 tablespoons SugarTwin, beat until stiff peaks form; set aside.

Beat yolks 5 minutes until thick and lemon colored. Blend in milk and flavoring; then add dry ingredients, mixing at low speed until moistened. Beat 2 minutes at medium, scraping sides occasionally.

Pour yolk mixture over whites, carefully fold by hand until evenly blended. Pour into pan and bake 7 minutes until done. Set 1 minute; loosen around edges. Invert onto towel, roll with towel from narrow end, leaving open side on bottom. Cool completely on a rack.

Unroll; spread cake with Whipped Frosting to within 1/2 inch of edges. Save some frosting for garnish. Roll cake with frosting, decorating top of roll with frosting and toasted almond pieces. Chill until serving time. Cut into 1/2 inch slices. Yield: 12 slices.

WHIPPED FROSTING:

2/3 c. non-dairy cream powder
1/3 c. 2% milk
1 tbsp. Sugar Twin
1/4 tsp. vanilla flavoring
1/4 tsp. other flavoring (brandy, almond, maple, etc.)

Chill small mixer bowl and beaters in freezer. Add creamer and milk; whip until stiff peaks form, scraping bowl occasionally. Add SugarTwin, flavorings and blend. Refrigerate. Yield: 1 cup.

You can also double this recipe and make cupcakes.

Recipe off the web

Cheers!

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 26 May 2008 , 4:22pm
post #4 of 13

I have made the diabetic cream cheese frosting that's in the CC recipes. Everyone has just loved it! Haven't tried the cake recipes yet.

catin Posted 26 May 2008 , 5:10pm
post #5 of 13

Thank you so much everyone !! I appreciate it ever so much !!

I will save and try the recipe that you posted terrier

thank you again

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 26 May 2008 , 5:48pm
post #6 of 13

http://www.splenda.ca/en/recipes/DetRecipe.asp?category_id=9&recipe_id=267

I made this for my diabetic neighbours and it was good.

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 26 May 2008 , 6:50pm
post #7 of 13

Our DD has had diabetes since she was 6 years old. My DH also has insulin dependent diabetes. And, if that's not enough, our niece was diagnosed when she was five. We have seen many changes in the foods that have been available throughout the years. Believe me, it's much better now than it used to be.

This definitely doesn't make me an expert, but what I would recommend is to talk with the girl's mother/parent/guardian. You'll find out that she will probably be able to have the same things everyone else is having. Mom will be able to adjust her insulin dosage to "cover" it.

Actually, our DD participated in several studies at Riley Children's Hospital and University Hospital in Indianapolis, IN. One of these studies was a "chocolate" study. This was a very controlled study where she was fed a very strict diet with absolutely no sugar at all, and was monitored extremely well day and night for 3 days.

For the next 3 days, she was again placed on a very strict diet but this time it included chocolate. This was so rigid that even though she was given Hershey kisses, they were measured exactly - even cut in half or quartered. Her blood sugars were monitored very closely as were the insulin dosages throughout the whole time.

There were several children of all ages who participated in these. The findings - the children's blood sugars were even better when they were given the chocolate. There were other studies too. At one time, the diabetic diets wouldn't include anything fried or buttered, etc. The kids proved that one wrong as well. (Disclaimer - some people don't tolerate fats as well as others so they limit their intakes.)

You didn't know you were going to get a lesson in diabetes management, did you? icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

LadyMike icon_smile.gif

catin Posted 26 May 2008 , 7:19pm
post #8 of 13

Thank you so much LadyMike ... your information was very helpful ... a very well deserved lesson in deed .

Thank you .

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 26 May 2008 , 7:33pm
post #9 of 13

You're welcome! It's very nice (and generous) of you to do this for your childrens' classes. They are going to love you!!!!! Have fun, and have a great summer with your little darlings!

LadyMike icon_smile.gif

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:56pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrier

WHIPPED FROSTING:

1/3 c. 2% milk
1 tbsp. Sugar Twin

Is this "Non-Dairy Cream Powder" the non-dairy coffee creamer?

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 12:28am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrier

WHIPPED FROSTING:

1/3 c. 2% milk
1 tbsp. Sugar Twin

Is this "Non-Dairy Cream Powder" the non-dairy coffee creamer?

I wonder if it's something like dream whip - powdered non dairy whip cream?

waywordz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
waywordz Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:36am
post #12 of 13

I'm thinking terrier may have meant coffee creamer. I don't know if that stuff will "whip up" though? (I prefer using Splenda instead of Sugar Twin.) I'd like to know too, I 'm always hunting for ways to get my sweet fix, without raising my blood sugars too high. Heres a link for yellow cupcakes and chocolate frosting. GL.
Splenda yellow cupcake link below:
http://splenda.allrecipes.com/Recipe/Recipe.aspx?nprid=76275
Splenda chocolate frosting
http://splenda.allrecipes.com/Recipe/Recipe.aspx?nprid=104122
I love their site
http://splenda.allrecipes.com/Default.aspx
HTH

armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:54pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

It might be best to talk to the parent or guardian of this child. Diabetes in children is not being treated the way it was in the past. As long as a parent knows ahead of time what the child will be eating, most of them can eat just like their peers (the insulin dosage is just adjusted). It just depends. Sugar-free cakes in my experience are not very good tasting.

I agree!!! Most daibetic- "sugar-free" foods do more damage! My best friend's daughter is diabetic. Her dr and nutritionist told her to stay away from the "diabetic" foods. They are usually higher in carbs and carbs turn to sugar in the end. She can eat anything as long as long as she counts the carbs and boluses for the number.

i think the best bet would be to ask the parents or even the teacher how they do it. It would definitely be easier to make a regular cake and count the carbs, then tomake a diabetic cake that probably isn't going to taste quite as good. HTH

Teresa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%