Need Help Working With Fondant?

Decorating By katwomen1up Updated 26 May 2008 , 7:09pm by katwomen1up

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 26 May 2008 , 1:23pm
post #1 of 6

I have never worked with fondant and would love to do the stacked books for my DI's graduation anything I should know? Any helpful hints?

TIA

Kat

5 replies
katwomen1up Posted 26 May 2008 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 6

Bump

Tiababe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiababe Posted 26 May 2008 , 2:43pm
post #3 of 6

I have never done stacked books before, so I can't offer any tips on that specific design. However, what has helped me since working with fondant is practice. I am working on a farm cake for my son's second birthday and I am telling you there is a huge difference between the first animal I made and the last! Also, coloring can be tricky. Start out with a little paste color and build up--the colors can deepen as they sit. Wilton's fondant is not the best tasting. However, I have used it for decorations I don't intend for anyone to eat. That is about all I know since working with fondant is new to me; hopefully someone with alot more experience can help you out too. I am also interested in doing books, so I definetly would love to hear from anyone else who has done that design. Good luck!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 26 May 2008 , 2:51pm
post #4 of 6

I use SatinIce. When you add color to it, it does become sticky so I wear gloves and I use a little cornstarch. You can also purchase it already colored which I do do for red and black.

My tip would be to make sure you roll it several inches larger than the cake you are covering. Lay your fondant over the top of the cake but make sure the fondant on the sides are away from the cake. Smooth the top first and then smooth the sides by gently holding the fondant at the bottom away from the cake. This will help you prevent wrinkles at the base.

If you get air bubbles use a small pin and at an angle prick the bubble and smooth to conceal the prick.

If you have to rip it off and do it over again, no problem just be careful not to ruin your BC on the cake. Once BC is in your fondant I wouldn't save the left overs due to the BC.

You have to work quickly as fondant does dry out. If it does add some shortening or if I know it'll take me a while to roll it (like on a very large peice) I'll add some Tylose powder.

Good luck and practice, practice practice! It'll get easier the more you use it.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 26 May 2008 , 2:52pm
post #5 of 6

Oh, I forgot! Since you're doing books you're covering a square so be sure to cover work your corners first and then smooth out the rest of the sides of the cake.

katwomen1up Posted 26 May 2008 , 7:09pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you both for your help, wish me luck! Maybe I'll practice on a couple of cake dummies first.

Kat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%