How Do I Price This??

Decorating By JaneDee Updated 26 May 2008 , 9:52pm by JaneDee

JaneDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneDee Posted 26 May 2008 , 5:16am
post #1 of 6

How do you guys price your cakes? I mean I know you have to consider supplies you bought for the cake and ingred. and everything but do you just sort of come up with a certain price for certain cakes or is there something else you go by?

Also I already got paid for this cake but I'd like to know what you guys would have charged someone (although I'm sure yours would look a lot better- it was my first cake request)

It was a 12 x 18 sheet cake... just yellow cake with BC icing. Only she specifically wanted it to look like the Tombstone pizza wrapper.
And yes I know it's backwards that was a last minute thing that I didn't notice until I actually took the picture of the FBCT.

LL
LL

5 replies
amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 26 May 2008 , 5:37am
post #2 of 6

I normally charge $65 for a 12x18, but will be raising my prices June 1 to $75. Plus extra for the large trasfer. The transfer looks great, by the way, even with the correction you had to make.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 26 May 2008 , 2:58pm
post #3 of 6

Pricing varies greatly depending on your location and such. I'm not really sure if you can charge for this since it is a trademarked label?? Someone will probably have a better answer for that. As for me, I just charge a flat $ per serving (no matter the shape) and go up from there if I have had to add lots more time or if it has a more expensive ingredient, etc.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 26 May 2008 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 6

Probably around $100. Tip for future transfers ; always reverse the image before you print it out to copy - I use Irfanview to do mine and it's free to download - hope that helps!

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 26 May 2008 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 6

I also charge per serving, but I charge different amounts depending on wether it is a buttercream cake or a fondant cake. My prices are between $2.50 - $4.50 per serving.

JaneDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneDee Posted 26 May 2008 , 9:52pm
post #6 of 6

I have no idea why I forgot to reverse the image, I usually always figure that out first. I guess all the stressing about the cake just made me forget.

I live in Richmond, Virginia so I mean it's not like the little town I used to live in where you'd probably get maybe 20.00 for that cake.

Now... to tell you what I really got for that cake... $35.00 icon_sad.gif

I mean I know it was a little messy because I messed up and what not but I just felt like it was worth a little bit more than that.
My mother just kept telling me that it's okay because it was my first cake for someone else (other than family) and at least my name got out there somewhat.

Thank you guys for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%