Uncomfortable Situation

Decorating By Lacicakes Updated 26 May 2008 , 5:55am by Texas_Rose

Lacicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lacicakes Posted 26 May 2008 , 5:06am
post #1 of 2

Somebody I work with got married on Saturday. About a month ago I approached her about making her wedding cake for free as I just moved and I'm trying to build my portfolio. She informed me that a friend of hers just graduated from culinary school and would be making the bridal cake but said that it would be great if I made the grooms cake. Early Saturday morning I delivered the grooms cake and omg the bridal cake was sitting there and looked so horrible icon_eek.gif . It made me feel so uncomfortable because I just arrived with a perfect grooms cake and sit it beside a glopping mess for a bridal cake icon_surprised.gif . I so badly wanted to kidnap that cake and run home with it and fix it and bring it back before the bride saw it but couldn't of course tapedshut.gif . Then I though what would I do if I made a cake and it turned out bad ? What would you do ?

1 reply
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 May 2008 , 5:55am
post #2 of 2

Well, you offered to make the wedding cake, which is more than a lot of friends would have done. Don't feel bad about the wedding cake...if she had asked you to make a cake and you refused, and then she ended up with one that looked like that, I could see feeling bad...but that wasn't the situation.

Anyhow, as far as what I would do if I made a terrible-looking cake, I have done that before. It didn't start out that way, but the buttercream melted in the heat on the way to the restaurant where we were having my daughter's birthday, and my barbie princess cake ended up looking more like a hungover drag queen cake. I did learn from the situation, though. I finish my cakes a day before I need them, and I switched to fondant for the summertime. I have made other cakes that didn't come out like I intended them to, and I don't hesitate to scrape off the frosting and start over, if I need to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%