What Are These And Where Do I Find Them?

Decorating By Vistacsigirl Updated 26 May 2008 , 9:18pm by terrylee

Vistacsigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vistacsigirl Posted 26 May 2008 , 12:55am
post #1 of 9

I am trying to find the things that are used for baubles. Almost looks like wires. Where can I find them and what are they? Hopefully someone knows what Im talking about.
Thanks

8 replies
CharmingConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CharmingConfections Posted 26 May 2008 , 2:51am
post #2 of 9

Can you post a picture of what you are refering to?
I have several photos using floral picks (to attach shooting stars)... is that what you mean?

Vistacsigirl Posted 26 May 2008 , 4:03am
post #3 of 9

Yes. here is a picture of someone elses. I looked everywhere at Michaels today and coudnt find them. Im guessing thier not in the cake section.
BTW this site is great. Ive been making cakes for family and as a hobby for a couple of years but I swear Ive learned more in the last week than I have in the last two years.
LL

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 26 May 2008 , 5:31am
post #4 of 9

That is floral wire and it is not in the cake section. I can't remember the exact aisle, but ask at Michael's and they can point you in the right direction. At my Michael's it's on the opposite side of the store from the cake section. When you buy it, remember that the lower the gauge number is, the thicker the wire is (i.e. 18 gauge wire is stronger and thicker than 28 gauge wire). Thicker wire will support more weight.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 May 2008 , 5:34am
post #5 of 9

They have it at Walmart too in the floral section.

So that the wires don't go directly into the cake, push a drinking straw into the cake and put the wires into that.

Vistacsigirl Posted 26 May 2008 , 8:55pm
post #6 of 9

thanks. I'll be going to walmart tonite. Just curious, is there a reason that the wire shouldn't touch the cake? Taste, rust?

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 26 May 2008 , 8:58pm
post #7 of 9

I don't think it is food-safe.

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 26 May 2008 , 9:00pm
post #8 of 9

It will leach into the cake.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 26 May 2008 , 9:18pm
post #9 of 9

You could try BBQ skewers....some of them are quite thin and would be food-safe.

I get a wire at the floral shop that is a soft coiled wire - and flexible, aluminum.......comes in several different colors, 12 gauge thickness....OASIS floral products. I have stuck them in the cake but you can still always be extra safe and use a straw.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%