How Much Batter For 3 Tier Cake?

Decorating By tahoengirl Updated 26 May 2008 , 2:42am by indydebi

tahoengirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tahoengirl Posted 26 May 2008 , 12:38am
post #1 of 4

I just purchased a 3 piece cake pan set,8,12,and 16x2. I would like to practice making a tier cake,but do not know how much baker is needed to fill all three pans. Can anyone help me with a recipe? By the way the cake pans are square.

3 replies
Rzrback Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rzrback Posted 26 May 2008 , 12:49am
post #2 of 4

Some of the pans I have purchased had the amount of batter needed on the packaging, however you may be able to find that information on the Wilton site. www.wilton.com I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you, but hopefully one of the many experts on this site will. Everyone always seems very helpful! Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 26 May 2008 , 12:49am
post #3 of 4

Here is a link to Wilton's cake charts. You don't say if your pans are 2" or 3" deep which will make a difference.

As for one recipe there probably isn't one. You will need to make multiple batches to get all of the cups of batter you will need. And whether you use a mix or a scratch cake, and even which mix or recipe you use will yield different cups of batter.

I can tell you that I use DH with one egg and one box of pudding added and consistently get 6 cups of batter from each mix. My limited experience with BC is about 5 cups with the same additions.

HTH

http://www.wilton.com/cake/cakeprep/baking/times/index.cfm

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 May 2008 , 2:42am
post #4 of 4

I'm sure there's a thread somewhere showing how many mixes to use, but here's what I use:

0.5 mix = one 8" round or one 6" square
1.0 mix = one 10" round or one 8" square
1.5 mix = one 12" round or one 10" square
2.0 mix = one 14" round or one 12" square
3.0 mix = one 16" round or one 14" square

I use Betty Crocker ... no doctoring or add'l ingredients ... just straight from the box.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%