Is Cake Decorating Unhealthy?

Decorating By smitakasargod Updated 26 May 2008 , 6:36pm by MikeRowesHunny

smitakasargod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smitakasargod Posted 25 May 2008 , 9:37pm
post #1 of 17

I am trying so hard to shed the last 10 lbs or so to my reach target weight. I try to eat healthy but I get so tempted with all the frosting and fondant and cake scraps around me! I have a really horrible sweet tooth and I know it is my fault but I feel so guilty afterwards....Sigh! I really love this hobby though and would hate to give it up. Anyone identify with me? Any tips for me?

16 replies
marysgobaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marysgobaa Posted 25 May 2008 , 9:47pm
post #2 of 17

As crazy as this may sound, I opened a bakery on May 3rd and have lost 5 pounds. Even though I snack on it a little bit, I'm always standing and doing something. I'm so sick of cake and icing now though, so maybe you'll reach a point where you're not tempted to eat any of it!

lepaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lepaz Posted 25 May 2008 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 17

I identify, especially at that "special" time of the month when all I want to do is eat a whole chocolate cake with a glass of milk icon_cry.gif . Here is what I do if I HAVE to make a cake for someone else and there is scraps. Throw it in the trash right away. Don't even think about it. Just do it and the temptation is gone, well, not gone, but out of your hands, unless you go digging through the trash icon_surprised.gif .
Good luck!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 25 May 2008 , 9:51pm
post #4 of 17

I do I do !!! Though Most of my creations go out the door ( made for other people ) I do taste ,say icing when Im making it or cake scraps I trim etc ! That will most often DO IT for me ! And I also know my creation was good to go ! If I bake like cupcakes for home I do it when I have people around or send the neighbors some etc! That way I cant eat to much !!! Kind of like when I go to the store I hardly ever buy my fav snack, Because I know how bad I will be ! Not there cant eat it !

SweetDolly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDolly Posted 25 May 2008 , 9:58pm
post #5 of 17

Absolutely, Kassie! I was just thinking about this topic! I have been on Weight Watchers since January and was doing really well (lost 20lbs) until this past month when I've gotten back into cakes more seriously.

I had been on a 'cake hiatus' since after the holidays; now that I'm back into it I've gained 6 lbs! It's heartbreaking because I worked so hard to lose what I did. I need to learn to control my 'scrap sneaking' if I'm going to keep doing cakes...

We should start our own support group...Cake Watchers?! icon_biggrin.gif

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 25 May 2008 , 10:04pm
post #6 of 17

I used to be the same way when i was in culinary school i gained ten pounds then once i was working in the field i learned to throw the scraps as soon as I cut the cakes. Eventually I learned to just taste what i need to and lost the weight again.
Good luck thumbs_up.gif

funbun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funbun Posted 25 May 2008 , 10:09pm
post #7 of 17

A trick I use is to chew gum when I work. It has helped. I also sing when I bake and that takes my mind off the smells from the oven. icon_biggrin.gif
HTH

susgene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susgene Posted 25 May 2008 , 10:11pm
post #8 of 17

Same problem here! I try to throw out the scraps as soon as I cut them, but hubby likes me to save for him. So now it's a problem for both of us! As long as I can just throw them in the trash immediately I'm okay... having to wrap and save some is way too tempting for me. I am a weak, weak person!!!

smitakasargod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smitakasargod Posted 25 May 2008 , 10:13pm
post #9 of 17

Cake watchers!! LOL. I love that. I am in... I have been trying so hard too. I have exercised and eaten well the past few months and lost 10 lbs and now...I am suddenly craving dark chocolate frosting... icon_cry.gif I really want to do this. My weight is not the real issue. I know it will come off if I keep doing what I did all of last few months. It is the fact that I lack self control that really makes me sooo mad. Sigh! Throwing stuff in the trash is something I do with cake scraps. But fondant is expensive so it stays around waiting for the next cake or me icon_redface.gif Thanks to all of you though. You all are a fantastic group of people.

kazzybaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazzybaby Posted 25 May 2008 , 10:30pm
post #10 of 17

i'm a deffo cake taster..lol
so i have started to make my7 cake cut offs into crumbs as soon as i have cut them off the cake, then i use them to make chocolate truffles, and then i give them away as gifts, if i don't have all i need to make the truffles i freeze the cake crumbs in bags, then i can make them whenever, it's working for me and if i make rum truffles they can stay in the fridge for a few weeks without any trouble as the alcohol acts as a preserve...

i also give my mother scraps to do the same thing...

JaneDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneDee Posted 26 May 2008 , 5:01am
post #11 of 17

I can't really say that I know how that is. Ever since I even began wanting to decorate cakes I never really wanted the left over scraps because after smelling and seeing all the icing my stomach just felt sick. But I do have a few tips...
I always listen to music while I'm in the kitchen... I'm too busy yapping along with the music to really eat. And I play A LOT of my favorite songs that I "attempt" to sing to, that way I'll want to sing more than eat.
I also like their tips of trying to always chew gum, I haven't tried that but then again like I said I don't really get tempted (sorry - trying to help though)
You could also just find your favorite exercise or workout and do it inbetween baking and decorating, that way if you do snack on the icing or cake a little, maybe you wouldn't feel too guilty? I'm not trying to pressure you... icon_biggrin.gif BUT..... If you like to be outside (unless you have a large room) you should really try hooping... It's nothing like what our children have, these hoops are much bigger and much much heavier. I love it, put a little music on and before I know I have my workout for the day!! (If you seem interested you can PM me if you want to know more) I love hooping and it also gave me a slight ability to dance, because I couldn't before. haha

Sorry to ramble but just wanted to try to help. =)

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 26 May 2008 , 7:07am
post #12 of 17

I've lost over 60lbs since I started my cake deco hobby last year...so I'd say no icon_razz.gif

Seriously, nothing has killed my desire for sweets faster than being surrounded by it constantly. Knowing what goes into grocery store/pre-packaged cakes and snacks has soured me on buying them or eating them when co-workers bring them. so those are no longer guilty pleasures. I never have to worry about cake scraps or taste testing cause I leave that for my family to do icon_wink.gif

One upon a time I could eat a whole cheesecake in one sitting. Now when I have a massive snack craving, I reach for the baby carrots and a bell pepper!

Reverse Psychology is a pretty powerful thing....*nodnod*

JaneDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneDee Posted 26 May 2008 , 1:17pm
post #13 of 17

Yeah having a plate of veggies or fruits also might help. I could eat a whole plate of them, just use Light dressing (if you're dieting or something) and I bet that'd be gooood!! icon_biggrin.gif

She made me want to make a veggie tray now. hehe

...I forgot to mention that I'm vegetarian so sometimes knowing that there's eggs or milk in the cake and icing makes me not want them too.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 26 May 2008 , 6:21pm
post #14 of 17

why not just decorate on a full stomach. icon_confused.gif

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 26 May 2008 , 6:25pm
post #15 of 17

I have thought about this a lot b/c I do eat a lot of the scraps (hey, its a good way to make sure the cake is good icon_wink.gif I haven't had any issues and like PP said, I am so busy standing and running around getting things done, I think it cancels itself out icon_wink.gif At least that is what I'm hoping.

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 26 May 2008 , 6:30pm
post #16 of 17

Consider yourself lucky that eating the cake is your problem. You can control that. I am a diabetic and I work with fondant and just touching the stuff the sugar is absorbed through my skin. Gloves are not an option. You've got yours and i've got mine. We're in this thing together. It's always something!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 26 May 2008 , 6:36pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane

why not just decorate on a full stomach. icon_confused.gif

I have such a sweet tooth that this would never stop me! When we go out to eat I look at the dessert menu first lol! My weightloss efforts have ground to a stand still, but that's mainly because I have stopped dancing and when I am scheduled to go, my flippin' partner keeps cancelling on me. I swear if he does it again to me this week, I'm going to trade him in for a younger model lol!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%