I'm At A Crossroads..

Business By mkolmar Updated 26 May 2008 , 4:24am by mkolmar

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 25 May 2008 , 6:34pm
post #1 of 15

I graduated earlier this month with a general culinary arts degree and certificate. I've been renting out the kitchen in the church I belong to for a year and a half. so I can be legal The plan was that I would really start doing more business wise after graduating. Which is slowly happening.
I have since decided that the church that I belong to may not be right for me any longer. (this is hard for me since I've been there since birth. I love my pastor and his wife but even though I like his son who is co-pastor, and just joined our church last year, his preaching style and manner I don't like at all.)
I'm thinking of changing churches or only going on the days that my pastor preaches on since they rotate. I don't feel right renting out the kitchen there because of this. What do I do? I have a few orders I need to do coming up within the next 2 months and a wedding cake next year.

I've been toying with the idea of just being done anyways to concentrate on learning some new skills and apprenticing under someone for a while. However, I keep getting orders which tends for me to question if I should. Now with me not knowing if I should continue renting from the church or not is really throwing me for a loop. I honestly just can't see the forest because of the trees right now. Guess I just needed to get some advice and get this off of my chest since anytime I try talking to a friend or family member they just don't understand.

14 replies
chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 25 May 2008 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 15

Have you found a new church? Maybe the new church also has a kitchen you can rent.

Have you tried talking to the pastor about renting the kitchen anyway? You are paying money to be there, I assume. I could see more of a dilemma if you were borrowing the kitchen as a member of the congregation, but if you're paying?

What about staying in the church until your next few orders are finished, and then not taking any more orders until you find a new place?

mkolmar Posted 25 May 2008 , 7:07pm
post #3 of 15

I have not found a new church.
I should probably talk to my pastor and his wife though. They have been so good to me over the many years I've been there. The reason I use their kitchen is because it's in OH and can be licensed. I just live over the line in MI which you can not be licensed from home in. MI is a lot more strict than OH. I practically rent for free, I had a sweet deal. The church has bent over backwards to help me so I can be legal. They are one of my biggest supporters. That's why I feel like I have a knife in my gut. I honestly do not want to leave the church, but I don't know if I can stay either.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 25 May 2008 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 15

Is the pastor's son there to stay, or just doing some kind of apprenticeship or internship before he gets his own church?

mkolmar Posted 25 May 2008 , 7:17pm
post #5 of 15

His church joined our church so he's there to stay. (our kids are in school together and are friends also)

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 25 May 2008 , 7:44pm
post #6 of 15

If you don't like the son's preaching style or message don't go to the main services on that week. Go to your bible class (if there is one) and then leave.

If you love the way the father teaches don't not go when he preaches!

Our pastor is the pastor of 2 churches so he is only there 2 times a month. We are getting a new pastor this month (Thank God). Our other pastor though a sweet man, could have bored you into the deep nether regions. LOL I didn't go to the main sermon when HE was there - only when our elders were preaching!

The son may just need so "seasoning" or his theology may be not what you like - either way, go when the father preaches and enjoy your church. If they ask you why you aren't going on the Sunday that the young fellow preaches be honest with them. You never know...things could change!

Good luck on both...your church and your cakes!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 25 May 2008 , 9:24pm
post #7 of 15

I agree with denise...

I know what you mean though...you get used to "your guy"...and sometimes the others....just aren't for you.

for me when things are going to change, i take my time and don't jump into anything to fast, you might change your mind.

CONGRATULATIONS on graduating....smarty pants!

If you take your time, and follow your heart, you'll know what to do ...i've been going thru something where i was confused what to do....and i just got clarity this past couple weeks.

mkolmar Posted 25 May 2008 , 11:00pm
post #8 of 15

Thanks everyone. His son has been preaching there for a year now so I'm pretty sure it's not going to change. After today's sermon I got in my car and cried (and I'm not an emotional person and I hardly ever cry) That's how bad it was. My DH said he will never go back. We are talking tonight about what to do, especially since we have kids.

I'm due for an inspection coming up from HD. Since I'm not a store front they call and try to schedule. I need to decide by this week if I should keep my license or just be done so on Friday I can tell HD what I will be doing.

Thanks littlecakes for the congrats. I actually graduated with honors. Something I thought I'd never do with having kids. icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 May 2008 , 2:24am
post #9 of 15

The church you attend is about your spiritual need and fulfillment. The kitchen you rent is business. Two different things.

I have a caterer friend who rents a church kitchen. She does not attend this church. Her church couldn't rent her their space. She attends one church ... rents another. Personal. Business. Two different things.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 May 2008 , 2:31am
post #10 of 15

P.S. And congrats on completing your culinary degree! I know that represents a lot of hard work and dedication! thumbs_up.gif

mkolmar Posted 26 May 2008 , 2:41am
post #11 of 15

I agree Indy. I'm not so concerned about the business side of things right now. Mainly the church itself and what my family will choose to do. I wish that there would have been another option to being legal but there was no other way in my situation. (too long to explain) No other church or organization would talk to me since I wasn't a member. I never thought something like this would happen where I would consider leaving. I know the pastors and his wife would let me continue using the facilities but I just don't think it's right.

dustymorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dustymorris Posted 26 May 2008 , 3:08am
post #12 of 15

Just pray about it, mkolmar. Seek the Lord on this one. Especially about the preaching thing. He may be leading you somewhere else where you are needed in a specific area or where you can grow even more spiritually. I know we all love to do cakes, and that you are trying to start a business, but if you are not in His will, it wont work out anyway. I pray that He will give you the direction that you need.

God Bless You!!!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 26 May 2008 , 3:43am
post #13 of 15

Honey I dont know what to tell you.. other then go with your gut..

And congrats on your acheivement!! I am SOOO envious of you!!!!

(((((((((hugs))))))))))

cohenandlillysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cohenandlillysmom Posted 26 May 2008 , 4:07am
post #14 of 15

i am so sorry that you are having such a spiritual warfare. I trully think that god has taken you to this crossroads for you to seek him with all of your heart. Being fed spiritually is very important, but I do think that you should pray vigorously for the young pastor, that he may seek the lords will for his ministry.

I think that if you talk to the pastor and his wife (the old one) and tell him what the lord is laying on your heart, if they are truly godly people they will understand. And then at that point express your concern about the kitchen.

On another note, I do believe in keeping personal life and biz life serperate but I do believe with all of my heart that my cake biz is my ministry. The Lord has allowed me to share his love and grace so many times with lots of my customers. I have an opportunity to pray for those who are going through great strife, whether they know Im praying or not. God has blessed me and my family so very much for following what I truly believe was his will by opening my cake shop.

Follow your heart and where god is leading it. I pray that he gives you peace in whatever happens. And I pray that through this time of trial that you grow even closer to God.

mkolmar Posted 26 May 2008 , 4:24am
post #15 of 15

I'll be talking with my DH in length tomorrow about everything. Just too tired tonight to talk about everything. My goal in life is to be a culinary educator for troubled teens and slightly special needs adults/kids, but to teach others as well. I grew up in a very rough household so it's my way of giving back. It would be nice to run a small business along with teaching though. But my main focus is to learn enough skills over the next year or so to go into some form of teaching culinary. I was already offered a substitute teaching job at a career center/vocational school with a killer reputation from cranking out great students at competition level, but I turned them down since I know I'm not ready yet. I have much more to learn.
You know --after writing this I realize that I more than likely will sell what I have on the books the next few months and concentrate on working towards my future goal. Teaching is what my heart wants to do.
Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%