Whipped Cream Frosting Turned Ewww, Why?!

Decorating By Shola Updated 26 May 2008 , 3:02am by TC123

Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 25 May 2008 , 2:07pm
post #1 of 6

So I made the Whipped Cream Frosting here on CC, I had a carton of stuff called 'Whipping Cream', the recipe says beat cream untill stiff peaks form, well I couldn't get peaks it just went stiff, I thought that was ok, I mixed in the cream cheese mixture to the cream and it went super runny. I thought there was no way I could put it in the cake so I decided to beat it up a bit more, and well either that was a big no no as I suspect it was or something was wrong with the cream, it turned into a curdled mess, resembling ewwwwww vomit. icon_sad.gif
Gah big waste of ingredients icon_mad.gif
So what did I do wrong? Why was it so runny? Beating after adding stuff to whipped cream a no no? icon_confused.gif
Help me not to make this mistake again guys, I'd really like to give it another go! icon_rolleyes.gif

5 replies
chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 25 May 2008 , 2:17pm
post #2 of 6

I don't know what the recipe is or what the instructions are, but when you overbeat cream and it looks curdled you are well on your way to making butter.

I would have folded the already beaten cream into the other mixture.

Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 25 May 2008 , 4:17pm
post #3 of 6

Yeah I folded the cream cheese sugar mix into the beaten cream and it went runny, then I used the beater to try and stiffen up the mix a bit more and it went lumpy and separated icon_sad.gif
I followed the recipe exactly, here:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-901-Whipped-Cream-Frosting.html

Thing is I tasted it before it went blah and it was sooo nice! How can I get it thicker without overbeating it?? icon_confused.gif

rmelendrez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rmelendrez Posted 25 May 2008 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shola

Yeah I folded the cream cheese sugar mix into the beaten cream and it went runny, then I used the beater to try and stiffen up the mix a bit more and it went lumpy and separated icon_sad.gif
I followed the recipe exactly, here:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-901-Whipped-Cream-Frosting.html

Thing is I tasted it before it went blah and it was sooo nice! How can I get it thicker without overbeating it?? icon_confused.gif

This recipe looks yummy...once applied does the cake need to be refrigerated?

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 25 May 2008 , 4:49pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shola

I folded the cream cheese sugar mix into the beaten cream

Well no wonder.

The recipe says to fold the cream into the cream cheese mixture, just like I suggested (even before I knew which recipe it was). When you fold a mixture into anothe´r mixture you do it by hand with a spatula, not the mixture.

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 26 May 2008 , 3:02am
post #6 of 6

Hmmm... I've never made this recipe, but it certainly sounds good!

I don't think beating the heavy cream stiff would break it down once incorporated into the cream cheese mixture if you used the "folding" technique. Whenever I fold whipped cream into another mixture (such as for chocolate mouse), I do so gently by hand with a spatula. Did you use regular cream cheese (versus the reduced or fat free version)? Because I know sometimes it does make a difference in texture and consistency of some recipes.

I'm sorry, but I don't have any suggestions to help you bring your frosting to the correct consistency. Wait! Maybe put it in the frig to see if it'll harden some, then gently whip again? But in reference to what chutzpah said, if you are on your way to butter, I have no idea what would work.

Good luck, though. I do hope everything turns out okay for you! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%