Kroger Cake-Don"t Shoot

Decorating By nmrunyon Updated 15 Feb 2017 , 3:24am by CakeBren

nmrunyon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nmrunyon Posted 25 May 2008 , 12:57pm
post #1 of 21

I know I could be up to receive a hail of gunfire over this post....but I am asking any way. I was at a graduation party yesterday for my sisters step daughter. She had purchased a Kroger cake. My first questions was "why didn't she get it from me", but then was glad because I already was loaded down with graduation cake orders. Ok back to the Kroger cake. She cut the cake and I declined maybe it was pride or the extra calories but after a bit I decided to try the "Kroger cake". It was absolutly fabulous. It was moist it was flavorful and light and the whipped icing was perfect. I will admit I have never had a cake from that store like that.

Does anyone know what kind of cake mix Kroger uses? I think they might have changed their product.

20 replies
SugarplumStudio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarplumStudio Posted 25 May 2008 , 1:10pm
post #2 of 21

No flames here! I grew up on cake mixes, spent years in culinary school and the industry, can make a mean scratch cake and you know what? I'll still eat a piece of supermarket cake if it's offered to me. I'm so not a food snob. LOL

As far as Kroger's goes, I don't have any in my area, but in today's world of allergies, most places would be inclined to disclose exactly what they used if you as the customer asked. I'd just call the store and ask them what kind of mix they are using (if it is baked in-store..many are pre-baked and shipped frozen). Worse they can do is just give you a list of ingredients, which, by the way, they are required to do if asked.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 25 May 2008 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 21

Kroger makes an EXCELLENT cake........ DARN IT !!!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 25 May 2008 , 1:31pm
post #4 of 21

I don't like the cakes the Krogers makes by me (even before I started doing cakes.) Now the Sams by me has a pretty good one. No flames here.

nmrunyon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nmrunyon Posted 25 May 2008 , 1:43pm
post #5 of 21

Ok I pulled my big girl panties on and called Kroger (don't know why I hate asking questions to stores). They told me that their cakes come in frozen and they are Pillsbury. Can you imagine? I still can't say enough about this darn cake, I have been pondering this all night due to the fact that I think their cake was better then what I make at my bakery. Darn Kroger!!!

Wonder if the freezing the cake made then difference?

SueB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueB Posted 25 May 2008 , 1:45pm
post #6 of 21

I have to say, that when I freeze my doctored cake mix cakes it seems to make them taste better...it might be all in my head but I don't know...lol

DaisyLisa17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaisyLisa17 Posted 25 May 2008 , 1:48pm
post #7 of 21

I have good ones and I've had bad ones from Kroger. I'd order one if I absolutely had to, but I'd prefer to make my own for sure. My SIL ordered me one for my bday a couple of weeks ago, and it was pretty darn good.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 25 May 2008 , 1:50pm
post #8 of 21

theres nothing wrong with saying kroger cakes are good... they are... so are costoc's i would love to know how they make their filling and frostings at costco... i know that sam's is bettercream..... and they will sell it to you..... how can we sorta duplicate these frostings at cosco's and sam's.... also i have used a many and still do ... pillsbury cake mixes... others also and make the extenders... when a cake is good..... it is good... we have to admit it... ha!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 25 May 2008 , 2:22pm
post #9 of 21

Just to drop a tid-bit of information. The cakes that are shipped to Wal-Mart and Sam's club are also from Pillsbury.

So my guess that the big taste difference is coming into play on how well the bakery staff rotates the product that they receive. And how well the person ordering it is at their job so they don't have stuff sitting in the freezer to long.

Most whipped icings at all the stores is the exact same thing Rich's Bettercreme. Rich's has their own recipe and trademarked name. And I have not seen many people replicate it, I think the closest thing is Pastry Pride... but I have not had a chance to compare them.

juledcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juledcakes Posted 25 May 2008 , 2:38pm
post #10 of 21

hi im actually the bakery lead at my local sams club and yes the cakes are pillsbury brand and the freezing right after baking does help lock in the moisture as long as the cakes are rotated we get truck every three days so there is always a good rotation. we use both richs bettercreme and buttercreme its whatever the customer prefers... we sell both icings in the bucket and you can also get chocolate in both icings, now the only thing is that you can only get the icing if the club has a bakery. hope this helps.

julia

famousamous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
famousamous Posted 25 May 2008 , 3:59pm
post #11 of 21

Before I started making cakes we used Kroger all the time! They dont skimp on the filling and the texture of their cakes are soft and moist.

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 25 May 2008 , 4:15pm
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyLisa17

I have good ones and I've had bad ones from Kroger. I'd order one if I absolutely had to, but I'd prefer to make my own for sure. My SIL ordered me one for my bday a couple of weeks ago, and it was pretty darn good.

LOL, personally I've made good ones and bad ones. I'm not always the most consistent either! 99% they are fabulous! When people come to me to make graduation/birthday/etc... cakes I usually tell them to go to Costco/Sams club because they are pretty darn good, I like them! I don't want them to pay $80 - $130 for my cake if they don't really need a custom fancy cake. After I try to talk them out of it and they still want my cake, then I know they won't feel bad for paying the price.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 25 May 2008 , 4:18pm
post #13 of 21

If I don't make it myself, the local Krogers is the place to go for cake. A 10 inch chocolate raspberry with white chocolate shreds on the out side for decoration for $10.00 is a very good buy. It's a good cake, no fuss and a good price. Plus this raspberry smell is wonderful.

levinea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
levinea Posted 25 May 2008 , 4:39pm
post #14 of 21

I was at a retirement party at work the other day and they got a chocolate cake with some kind of raspberry filling and chocolate ganache from the Kroger bakery. One of the best cakes I have EVER eaten. Was very surprised it was a Kroger cake, but really...it was excellent.

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 25 May 2008 , 4:47pm
post #15 of 21

My sister threw a birthday party for me recently and bought a chocolate filled chocolate cake from Costco...and let me say....YUM! Oh my gosh, I ate cake for breakfast for the next 3 days!

I wish I could find a mousse recipe like the one they use. Delish! icon_biggrin.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 25 May 2008 , 4:52pm
post #16 of 21

Juledcakes--the Sams by me still baked in house up till a few years ago. I use to love their cakes. I was at a birthday party last September and it wasn't nearly as good. Is that because of them coming in pallets now frozen? It tasted like cardboard. I was wondering if it was just sitting there too long? I've had frozen cakes from there before that they decorated and they were alright, just this one threw me off.

I do like Krogers cheesecakes. They sell them for cheaper than I can make them.

juledcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juledcakes Posted 25 May 2008 , 7:02pm
post #17 of 21

yes the cake might have been sitting in the freezer to long that or it was sitting ou unthawed with out icing for to long.

julia

Archangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Archangel Posted 11 Feb 2017 , 7:01am
post #18 of 21

Kroger doesn't bake their own cakes. We order them from a supplier. We are allowed to keep them for 30 days frozen and 5 days on the self. I've been trying to get my manager to tell me where we order the ZT brand buttercream icing from but she doesn't seem interested in letting me know. I've been wanting to do cakes at home for family and friends but I haven't found a buttercream recipe that works as well as what we use in the bakery.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 11 Feb 2017 , 5:30pm
post #19 of 21

I used to love Public cakes.  One time I bought a cupcake that was sitting in bakery glass case at Publix and it was as stale as could be. Unless you order them they will not be fresh! One other time I bought a cup cake from Bi Lo and they had just made them and it was so fresh that I went back and got another one. Some days you get lucky and other days not so lucky!!! When I was a child my dad used to go to the 7 eleven and he would buy the hostess big cupcakes with the chocolate cake and the white filling in middle. They were always so good and fresh!! 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Feb 2017 , 9:14pm
post #20 of 21

I have never (knowingly) had a cake from any of the stores mentioned but here is a wonderful icing recipe that is easy to make and use:  https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/22469/2-icing

CakeBren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeBren Posted 15 Feb 2017 , 3:24am
post #21 of 21

Archangel, it looks like Amazon may carry the icing you mentioned.  Search for "General Mills Gold Medal ready to spread icing".   Is this what you are talking about?

[postimage id="6482" thumb="900"]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%