Help Please! Fondant Has Brought Me To Tears!

Decorating By tophersmommy Updated 3 Jun 2008 , 9:47pm by BeckySue

tophersmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tophersmommy Posted 25 May 2008 , 1:56am
post #1 of 34

Okay, I am making my cousing's wedding cake in 2 weeks and I have started to practice because it's my first time using fondant. I followed the directions for MMF to the tee and my fondant tears. No matter how much shortening or water I add to get it to not tear, it still tears. I have tried this twice now and I don't know what to do! Please help me!

33 replies
tophersmommy Posted 25 May 2008 , 1:57am
post #2 of 34

Also....if there's anyone who lives in the Salt Lake City area and would be willing to help me out....please PM me. I am desperate!

HeatherBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherBelle Posted 25 May 2008 , 1:59am
post #3 of 34

Diane?

*If this is not Diane from LT & IDOB, I apologize. icon_smile.gif

As for your question, I have not yet attempted MMF. I'm not that brave! icon_lol.gif BUT, I'm certain that many of these more experienced ladies will have suggestions for you. They might want more information though - like which recipe you used, how thick you're rolling it, etc. icon_smile.gif

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 25 May 2008 , 2:06am
post #4 of 34

i prefer to use satine ice-already to use, you just colour it however you want and roll it out just the same. i tried mmf and to me it just didn't feel the same but i do know a lot of people here swear by it hth icon_smile.gif

noosie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosie Posted 25 May 2008 , 2:09am
post #5 of 34

I have to say, I have made mmf several times and although it does taste good I lover working with satin ice fondant. It is super easy to work with and tastes pretty good too. For the couple extra dollars it is totally worth ever penny and offers much less frustration.

Global sugar art, which is advertised on this site offers Satin Ice for 25% and they have excellent customer service. I would definitely recommend ordering a batch of white satin ice even the 2lb container and see for yourself. Since you have two weeks, this will give you enough time to make your choice in fondants.

Good luck!

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 25 May 2008 , 2:10am
post #6 of 34

I am NOT a fondant expert but have used MMF, Wilton, and Satin Ice several times. I have also had bad luck with MMF tearing. I don't use it anymore because it is too hard on my KA Mixer. After the experience with tearing, I used the rest of it on fondant figures. For covering cakes, now I only use Satin Ice. It's really much easier for me to use than MMF. When Hobby Lobby has their 40% off Wilton sale, I buy up the yucky Wilton Fondant for my fondant figures.

Sorry I don't have good news for you. Maybe someone else here has a tip they could share with you on how to make the MMF work better.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 25 May 2008 , 2:13am
post #7 of 34

I've used MMF, Satin Ice and Fondx and all of them will tear if rolled too thinly, my big problem. How thin are you rolling your fondant? Is it tearing when you are trying to put it on a cake?

I've had varying results with MMF. Sometimes, it's great, other times I make it, it's a mess. I made 2 batches, one right after the other. One turned out fine and one was a mess and would tear horribly. I suggest that maybe you buy some Satin Ice or another brand (except Wilton) to practice a little before the real cake. I found it easier for me to buy a product to practice with when I was brand new so that I knew the texture and how to handle it before I tried to make my own.

Good Luck! Just keep working with it and you will get it. I found this website helpful too. I found this ateco website helpful and you might too.

http://atecousa.net/learn/satin-ice-tutorial-i-icing-your-cake.html

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 25 May 2008 , 2:27am
post #8 of 34

. . . I too have had success with Satin Ice . . . my first and only attempt went without incident . . . (don't know why I never practiced ahead of time . . . I must have had horseshoes in my drawers icon_lol.gif ) . . .

thecreativeone4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecreativeone4 Posted 25 May 2008 , 2:28am
post #9 of 34

Same here. MMF is a bit tricky I find that if I keep it a little thick and trim it quickly once i get it on the cake it doesn't rip.

Are you using crisco or powdered sugar when rolling it? Mine works better with PS but the finish isn't as smooth as it is with Crisco...but then crisco causes it to rip more... Are you heating it while working with it? If it's too hot it WILL rip and tear.

Hope this helps... Sometimes it's worth the money to avoid the frustration!

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 25 May 2008 , 2:48am
post #10 of 34

. . . duplicate post . . . see this thread as well . . . http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-588438-0-days0-orderasc-.html

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 25 May 2008 , 3:20am
post #11 of 34

I live about 3 hours from Salt Lake and let me tell you, the temperature DRAMATICALLY affects MMF. As fast as the weather has been changing in this area I wouldn't DREAM of putting MMF on a wedding cake.

I also use Satin Ice, BUT it is a little pricey, and I have to order it off the net, so what I do is mix a gelatin base fondant, NOT MMF that is homemade, Flavor it a little stronger than you normally would, then knead it 50/50 with Satin Ice. Works great.

tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 25 May 2008 , 3:38am
post #12 of 34

Use Satin Ice, definitely! That is all I use for my business. The cheapest place to buy it is at
www.intotheoven.com I called Satin Ice a while back and they even said that is the cheapest place to buy it. Go buy the large wilton rolling mat and rolling pin. Also get the Wilton rings that go on the ends of your rolling pin and use the orange rings to roll out your fondant, it's the perfect thickness. After you roll it out, roll it up on your rolling pin, like when you make pie crust, and unroll it on your cake. You should have no problem with Satin Ice, very easy to work worth and it doesn't change texture or get sticky when you put it in the finished cake in the fridge like MMF does.

melrosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melrosa Posted 25 May 2008 , 3:47am
post #13 of 34

You need to call Carrie at www.carriescakes.com. She is in the Salt Lake area and she is wonderful. I'm sure she would give you sound hands on advice. By the way, I mix MMF with my hands like bread dough, that way I can tell how much of what I need to add to get it exactly right. The warmer the weather the better it is. keep your kitchen warm when your making it. Hope this helps. God Bless

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 25 May 2008 , 3:57am
post #14 of 34

I had to do MMF several times before I got a 'feel' for it.
and I think that to much shortening will effect its elasticity.
it's not as elastic and forgiving as premade fondant.

I've used Satin Ice, and just recently bought Choco-Pan.
I prefer the taste of the Choco-pan to the Satin Ice
I think that the bright white tastes similar to MMF, and I just don't have time for MMF any more so, Choco-Pan it is, for me!

good luck!

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 25 May 2008 , 4:31am
post #15 of 34

tophersmommy, what is the recipe you are using? I make mmf quite often. I don't really have any problems with it until I try to make a dark red. Three years ago I made my daughters wedding cakes and practiced for three months before the real thing. After all that is when I decided I really loved working with fondant. Lets hear your recipe... We can figure this out! icon_biggrin.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 25 May 2008 , 4:42am
post #16 of 34

i've used mmf many times. the trick is to not roll it out too thin and make sure your iced cake is cold. thumbs_up.gif

cocobean Posted 25 May 2008 , 4:54am
post #17 of 34

...forgot to mention I'm in South Jordan, Utah. Where are you?

My recipe for mmf:

Place in microwavable bowl: (I use a 4 cup pyrex measureing cup)
1/4 cup Crisco
4 cups mini marshmallows
2 T. water
Microwave on high for about 1 minute. Stop and stir if overflowing. Finish microwaving, stir again. Remove from microwave.
ADD:
(If making one solid color add gel color at this time, stir)
1 T. glycerine (stir to combine) helps with elasticity
4 cup SIFTED pd. sugar, reserve in a large mixing bowl

In a large mixing bowl add the above marshmallow mix to the sifted pd. sugar. Stir until combined. (I just use a heavy spoon). Finish kneading with hands (with some shortening on them). If too sticky after kneading add a little sifted pd. sugar. If too dry add a few drops water. Knead.

I use a big piece of vynal (sp) I bought at the fabric store to roll the fondant out on. Sometimes I use shortening to roll, sometimes I use sifted pd. sugar to roll. I also use different size dowels underneath either side of my rolling pin to get the thickness I want. icon_smile.gif

tophersmommy Posted 25 May 2008 , 3:50pm
post #18 of 34

Thanks everyone for all of your advice. I used the MMF recipe that is here on the site. They were all pretty similar so I picked the easiest one. Maybe that's my problem. I even bought the Wilton roll pad and rolling pin but the pad kept shifting even though I stuck it to the table and the rolling pin kept sticking to the fondant. I greased it with shortening and that made it worse so I cleaned it off and used cornstarch and it still stuck. My regular wood rolling pin worked fine but the fondant still tore. I think I am just going to spend the extra money and get the premade stuff. Maybe if I had more time, I could work it out but 2 weeks isn't much time. I appreciate everyone's input! cocobean - I'm in West Jordan.

tophersmommy Posted 25 May 2008 , 3:54pm
post #19 of 34

Also, how much fondant do I need for a 6-10-14 square wedding cake?

BeckySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeckySue Posted 25 May 2008 , 4:40pm
post #20 of 34

Hey tophersmommy - I use MMF on all my cakes (see my gallery) and haven't had a problem. Roll it out a little thicker than the pre packaged fondant, as MMF is softer. I am in Kaysville and can be in SLC in 15 minutes. What is the day of the wedding? It would be fun to have you and me and cocobean working together....CAKE PARTY!!! icon_lol.gif

BeckySue Posted 25 May 2008 , 4:43pm
post #21 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by tophersmommy

I make two batches of MMF for a cake this size...I am not sure what that equates to when buying....maybe 5 lbs? Anyone have a better idea?

tophersmommy Posted 25 May 2008 , 6:23pm
post #22 of 34

Beckysue - The wedding is June 7th. The tearing isn't occuring when I put it on the cake though...it's tearing when I'm rolling it out. Maybe we can get together and you can show me how you do it. I've watched videos but I still don't get it. I would love to have a cake party and meet some decorators in my area. It would be fun!

BeckySue Posted 25 May 2008 , 11:24pm
post #23 of 34
Quote:

The tearing isn't occuring when I put it on the cake though...it's tearing when I'm rolling it out.

....Is is sticking to the counter? I roll mine out on powdered sugar (No shortening - makes it too slimy for my taste...) with a wooden rolling pin. Are you letting the MMF rest overnight after you make it? That is an absolute must.

If this is your first time working with fondant, it might be a good idea to buy some for this cake. MMF tends to be really soft and a little harder to work with than say Satin Ice. I know for the first couple of cakes I did, I tried to make the fondant, and finally ended up in tears. MMF just takes a little practice to get used to the texture. You still have the time to get some packaged stuff and that will boost your confidence as it is much more forgiving. Seriously, let me know if you need help with this one...best of luck to you thumbs_up.gif

cocobean Posted 26 May 2008 , 3:49am
post #24 of 34

tophersmommy, I'm not sure what the tearing is about when you are rolling it out. You just have to get used to the feel of it. It does take a lot of practice. I would throw that batch out that you have been working with and start over. If you really want to make your own mmf make it again. Try letting it sit for a couple of hours before you use it. I would definately recommend buying some vinyl from the fabric store. It's very inexpensive. I stopped using the mat I bought from Wilton a long time ago. You really have to get used to working with the fondant to know when to use shortening to roll out or just sifted pd. sugar. I would try a recipe that has some glycerine I really think it helps with the elasticity. The recipe I added above is a very good one.
As far as the amount of fondant the Wilton book says 18oz. for the 6" round 36oz. for the 10" round and 72oz. for the 14" round. That doesn't include decorations.
You really do live close to me. I would be happy to have you come over and make a batch with you. It would be easier for me with all of my stuff here. If you really don't have the time to practice with the mmf. It probably would be a good idea to buy some Satin Ice or Choco-Pan. I just bought some Choco-Pan from Bakers Cash and Carry resently it was really great to work with and the taste was extra good (probably because of the white chocolate). (I put it on wedding cookies. Haven't had a chance to try it on cake). I just really wanted to try it out but it was really expensive, 33.00 for 4 lbs. I really want to try some Satin Ice sometime to. I know I can get it for a better price but I didn't have time to have some shipped to me.
BeckySue and anyone else close by is welcome to come. Let me know if you would like to come over.
Colleen

cocobean Posted 26 May 2008 , 3:53am
post #25 of 34

...sorry my last post looks like one big run on sentence. icon_confused.gificon_redface.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 26 May 2008 , 4:32am
post #26 of 34
Quote:

go to earlene's site and click enter, then scroll down to fondant chart. thumbs_up.gif

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 26 May 2008 , 9:03am
post #27 of 34

I have to agree with cocobean adding glycerine to MMF works a treat! It really does make better MMF.

BeckySue Posted 28 May 2008 , 6:06pm
post #28 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobean

BeckySue and anyone else close by is welcome to come. Let me know if you would like to come over.
Colleen

I would love it!! WooHoo!! CAKE PARTY icon_biggrin.gif

kristina67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristina67 Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:32am
post #29 of 34

wow I'm jealous! I want a cake party icon_razz.gif Anyone in southern Utah interested? Have you checked out this website http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm? This is where I got my MMF recipe from. Good luck.

pechee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pechee Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:44am
post #30 of 34

To be honest, I use 2 bags of marshmellows, 3TBS of water, and only one bag of powdered sugar. I find this way to be easier, it doesn't dry out when kneading. I also never use shortening, I can have a great day, until I use the shortening. Makes mine rip and sticky and fall apart. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%