Help Please! Fondant Has Brought Me To Tears!

Decorating By tophersmommy Updated 25 May 2008 , 4:45am by diane

tophersmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tophersmommy Posted 25 May 2008 , 1:55am
post #1 of 5

Okay, I am making my cousing's wedding cake in 2 weeks and I have started to practice because it's my first time using fondant. I followed the directions for MMF to the tee and my fondant tears. No matter how much shortening or water I add to get it to not tear, it still tears. I have tried this twice now and I don't know what to do! Please help me!

4 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 25 May 2008 , 2:19am
post #2 of 5

It sounds like there could be several causes for your troubles:

1. Not enough powdered sugar.
2. Not letting the MMF rest overnight before using.
3. Rolling it too thin.

MMF can be wonderful, but it does take some getting used to to know when you've got it "right". I would really not recommend it for your first time using fondant, especially for something as important to you as your cousin's wedding cake! Do you have a supplier near you where you can get some commercially prepared fondant like Satin Ice? It's so much easier to work with, and you can be assured that it's the right consistency, so that's one less thing to worry about. MMF tends to lack the elasticity of commercial fondant, so it is more prone to tearing.

If you can't get your hands on some commercial fondant, and MMF is the only option, I recommend adding more powdered sugar to what you've already got, then letting it rest. The consistency should be like somewhat thick play-dough. If it gets too stiff, pop it in the microwave in 5 second intervals and knead it with shortening on your hands. You can roll it out when it's a little warm, but I do like to let it cool down before I apply it to the cake. It should be approx. 1/4" thick.

Good luck, hon! Don't let it frustrate you to tears. *hug*

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 25 May 2008 , 2:32am
post #3 of 5

. . . duplicate post . . . see this thread as well . . . http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-588439-0-days0-orderasc-.html

AmyCakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyCakes2 Posted 25 May 2008 , 2:39am
post #4 of 5

I had the same trouble just tonight! I ended up rolling it out on freezer paper (on the waxed side) and then flipped it onto the cake and slowly peeled it off. THEN it worked fine. I've always had trouble with it tearing and this is a trick I'll have to remember. icon_smile.gif
Good luck!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 25 May 2008 , 4:45am
post #5 of 5

don't roll it out too thin and make sure your iced cake is cold. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%