Well We Had Our Yard Sale...where Were All The People???

Lounge By sweetcravings Updated 26 May 2008 , 12:54am by TheCakerator

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 24 May 2008 , 10:51pm
post #1 of 6

We had such a pooooor turnout. icon_sad.gif I was so disappointed, it was a waste of time. Barely no one showed up. We spent a good hour putting everything out and now we just finished putting it all away, again. icon_cry.gif
We advertised, put up signs everywhere, even extended the sale by two hours and still a pathetic show of people. Those who did come were very selective on their purchases and wanted everything for next to nothing. I know that's the nature of a yard sale..but pleaaaase..don't insult me icon_confused.gif . Some of the stuff was brand spankin new and they wanted it for a dollar when I listed it for 10.00(that was a steal). We marked most things ridiculously low since our goal was more to clear it out, not to make a fortune.
On a positive note..i sold all but three cookies and three cupcakes i made. I made a couple dozen of each. I sold them for a dollar a piece and people didn't flinch at the cost. I know that was low but i wanted to see what the reaction would be to them and to get feedback on if they like them. I guess it's safe to say they were a hit. One or two people asked me if i make wedding cakes, and a few more said they should call me if they want something made up. Till this point i haven't really sold my cakes and stuff for people outside the family, maybe for one or two people that's it. Some people took one bite and immediately came back to buy another one. icon_biggrin.gif It was very gratifying to here good comments coming from someone other than family and friends. Somehow, i don't always believe them, thinking they are just saying it to be nice. So it was a great day in cookies and cupcake sales. thumbs_up.gif
For those of you who had yard sales today..how was your turnout??

suz

5 replies
christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 25 May 2008 , 2:08am
post #2 of 6

Paying for gas!!!

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 25 May 2008 , 1:10pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by christeena

Paying for gas!!!

Soooo true. Gas is wicked high around here. We did talk about that yesterday as we waited and waited for people to come. It's hardly worth the bargin if you have to pay big bucks to drive from house to house.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 25 May 2008 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 6

The very first garage sale I ever did was for 2 days. It was the very last garage sale I will ever do. It was a waste of time. From then on I donate items to charities like womens shelters, Veterans, or kid organizations or the goodwill down the road.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 25 May 2008 , 9:22pm
post #5 of 6

I'm with you sweetie! we had one last weekend and had hardly anyone show..... we had a couple of people that said something about Gas prices that they were going to pick up their friend because they didn't want to drive.... I know that's whats happening....and people are putting their stimulus payments in the bank to help them out later....

WHATS FUNNY. (sarcastically of course)...IS WE JUST HAD A FAMILY MEMBER COME HOME FROM SAUDI ARABIA AND THE GAS PRICES THERE ARE 64 cents a gallon. The prices had just dramatic gone. down!..

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 26 May 2008 , 12:54am
post #6 of 6

I used to map out all the garage sales in my city and even surrounding cities to get the most out of my time, but now that gas is running me $4.30 a gallon, I map out all my errands on one day and that is the only day I go into town. I don't go to garage sales unless they are on my route to one of my errands .. gas is just to expensive for me to waste driving around "hoping" to find a great treasure at a steal .. unfortunately even the smallest pleasure of garage saleing has been taken away because of gas .. how sad is that?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%