Cake Dummy Pricing Question...

Decorating By Chini3458 Updated 27 May 2008 , 2:27am by sari66

Chini3458 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chini3458 Posted 24 May 2008 , 10:49pm
post #1 of 6

Hi All!

I am in need of some guidance.. I have been asked to make a replica dummy cake of the JMH Alamo. It is it's 90th Anniversary. It will be 3rd all fondant, gum paste, etc. But I have no clue what to charge.. I know it will be a challenge as I am still learning and basically only have done cake for my family.

Any advice in pricing would help.

Thanks!
LL

5 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 24 May 2008 , 10:53pm
post #2 of 6

wow...what a task.
i would charge the same as a cake. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 May 2008 , 12:05am
post #3 of 6

Yeah... this is NOT a project where you charge by the slice or by any other "charted" pricing structure. This is a special design with LOTS more labor than materials costs ... WAY more than usual.

Dummy or real cake ..... charge your arm AND your leg.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 25 May 2008 , 4:36pm
post #4 of 6

How big do you need to make it? For me, it would depend on the size...

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 25 May 2008 , 11:25pm
post #5 of 6

Boy thats a ton of work even for a dummy cake. Since you want be charging by the slice I would decide on what you want 'per hour' to make this cake . Since you have already made one you should have an idea of how many hours you would put in. I wouldn't do it for less than $15 per hour (maybe more) or just come up with a price that is worth your time. Just because it's a dummy doesn't mean that you should sell your talents for less.

Good luck..

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 27 May 2008 , 2:27am
post #6 of 6

I would charge just like a regular cake plus extra for all the work that's going to be needed. Good luck and post a pic when it's done

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%