Please Help.. Poinsettia Help

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 26 May 2008 , 3:29pm by sisspence

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 24 May 2008 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 12

Now get this... My dear Mother, whom I love to death, BUT plans way ahead of time for events... this time it's Christmas.. she has called and is on her way over to discuss Christmas festivities (which just reminds me that I have to start saving icon_sad.gif ... PLUS drive so whatayado? LOL).

She wants me to make a elaborate cake....something I actually haven't done...

a stacked cake , 3 tiers with poinsettias covering the whole thing.. SUGAR poinsettias!!!! I haven't even tried them yet. She wants them in the cream color that she usually decorates her whole house (she actually gets a truckload brought in.. at least 50 of these BIG bad boys )

but she wants a cake for the front hall for when the guests.. which we are having around 50.. arrive.

I need to know these things..

The best cutters for the petals

The BEST cutters for the leaves and veiners..

PLUS all the colors I will need.. dusts.....americolor etc..

Do I actually have time to learn this flower by Christmas and make them look REAL? She so stressed real looking.. she wants people to say OMG are those real? LOL..

She is also paying for all of my supplies ... (I didn't ask her.. she just threw the money at me LOL) Like for the different cutters and such..

So can ya help me figure out my list that I need to order..

Thank you all icon_smile.gif

11 replies
Kavingate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kavingate Posted 25 May 2008 , 3:38am
post #2 of 12

You can get cutters and veiners here at Global Sugar Art. I got some from www.nicholaslodge.com. He also has a book called "A Potpourri of Flowers" that has instructions in it. Poinsettias are actually not that hard, so I'm sure that by Christmas, you'll blow your family away with your crazy cake skills!!! HTH!!

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 25 May 2008 , 4:19am
post #3 of 12

. . . I was quite taken by Maria892's pointsettia . . . and pm'd her . . . and this is her reply . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria892

Thanks for your comment and compliments....

Wow my poinsettia is really hot coming up to christmas, But you know what?

That was my first flower ever and I had nothing to do it with. I freestyled the cutting of the petals and leaves and I used a hydrangea leaf from my garden to vein it. THat is all I can tell you. THe manufacture was quite brutal but it turned out OK I think.

It was really huge tho' - it took up the whole top of the cake.

So if you just freestyle it - you too can make one like that. After all, (I always say ) that nature is not perfect and we have free creative licence to create any flower.

Good Luck....

Maria........

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria892

The stamens are just a tear shaped ball of paste with a few pieces of cotton thread poked in that is then dipped into red liquid colour.

Maria......

. . . this is her flower . . . http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=767333

I'm pretty sure you could have the same results easily if you are starting this far in advance . . . especially it you have the tools that are available . . . thumbs_up.gif

wgoat5 Posted 25 May 2008 , 4:51am
post #4 of 12

Thank you both for your comments.. I would of responded sooner but either CC was down or I just couldnt get on icon_sad.gif

Thanks a million guys!!!

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 25 May 2008 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 12

Christi, have you thought of white chocolate or melts? You can make very beautiful, quick and simple flowers by painting the melted chocolate on the back side of food safe leaves...let it set then peel off and ...voila...poinsettias.

Here's a pic of one I did at X-mas I used orange and lemon leaves from my yard. An assortment of larger and smaller leaves would give a more realistic look..this was for a school party and realism wasn't a priority icon_lol.gif
LL

wgoat5 Posted 25 May 2008 , 7:04pm
post #6 of 12

Lori WOW I didn't know you could do that with chocolate!!!! VERY nice!!! I'm saving your pic icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you icon_smile.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 25 May 2008 , 7:08pm
post #7 of 12

I did this cake..and it was last minute.. I didnt have the poinsettia veiners but I found the cutter. I use leaf veiners and they are not as difficult as you might think!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif
LL

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 25 May 2008 , 7:13pm
post #8 of 12

Christi...remember chocolate is our friend icon_biggrin.gif... just not to our hips...lol

wgoat5 Posted 25 May 2008 , 7:15pm
post #9 of 12

LOL YOu are sooo right Lori icon_smile.gif

Edna that is a BEAUTIFUL cake icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif !!!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 25 May 2008 , 7:19pm
post #10 of 12

lol lori..I am chocoaholic!...

Thanks Christi...I tell you those flowers are not difficult..

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 25 May 2008 , 11:00pm
post #11 of 12

Hi Christie!

E-mail me if you want, I can help you with this icon_smile.gif [email protected]

Jen icon_smile.gif

sisspence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sisspence Posted 26 May 2008 , 3:29pm
post #12 of 12

Hi Jennifer...This is Susan from the houston club. I 4-got to e-mail..I received the veiners, they r gr8. Can't wait till I get the dvd's. (I did order them already right, my memory sux) I have been having a blast with aaaalllllll my need toys I got from u. Any way, I saw ur post and I thought I'd drop in and say hey.

Susan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%