I'm Sad... Business Will Be Changing.. Without Me.

Business By Cakenicing4u Updated 24 May 2008 , 6:30pm by SweetConfectionsChef

Cakenicing4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenicing4u Posted 24 May 2008 , 5:07am
post #1 of 10

icon_cry.gif I consider it a blessing that I was able to get my FT job as a cake decorator..... I have learned a lot and I'm a better baker and decorator for what I have learned. I LOVE MY JOB. Today, my bosslady told me that she is so burnt out and she is going to scale back the business, and that by October or so, it won't include me any more. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif She is going to maintain the business as a solo part time business, only accepting certain orders and one to two wedding cakes a week. I understand her decision, really I do... she's always at work and she is missing out on things with her kids and the kids aren't getting any younger. We have just been so incredibly busy that it's hard to do everything in a week and we're running out of room and we're turning away a lot of orders because we just simply can't do anymore.

icon_confused.gificon_cry.gificon_confused.gificon_cry.gif I wish I could talk her out of it or figure something else out.... I LOVE my bosslady and I love working there... but at the same time I have seen her struggle and I know how many hours she puts in and I feel bad every time I leave knowing she'll be there another 5 hours at least.

Just wanted to cry on a friends' shoulder...

9 replies
just_desserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_desserts Posted 24 May 2008 , 5:25am
post #2 of 10

Wow, that's a bummer. Anyway she can cut back but still let you work? If she cut back some now and gradually kept cutting back so the two of you could handle it without her killing herself, seems like that would make more sense.

But then again, it could be because of all the "red tape" involved in having employees. Just easier when it's just you.

Maybe you could start your own business then she could recommend you to those she is turning away.

Best of luck to you.

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 24 May 2008 , 5:39am
post #3 of 10

. . . yup, just put your thinking cap on . . . and remember when one door closes . . . another one opens . . . somehow this will grow into another opportunity . . . change can be scary, but it can also be really exciting too . . . it's okay to grieve what you are losing, but get ready for the next chapter of your journey . . . thumbs_up.gif

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 24 May 2008 , 5:52am
post #4 of 10

I don't have any encouraging road but I'll listen attentively icon_smile.gif Woo woo woo!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 24 May 2008 , 6:11am
post #5 of 10

Do you see the open door in front of you? If she is scaling back her business, then you need to start yours. Who else can she trust to refer her overload to?

Get busy, October is not that far away!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 24 May 2008 , 6:33am
post #6 of 10

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe she'll let you rent there and you can start your own business. Maybe even like a sister business. Talk to her and see if there's any way this is feasible!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 24 May 2008 , 7:35am
post #7 of 10

don't you wish that you could buy her business and take over. it's hard these days to actually love the job you do. hope everything works out. thumbs_up.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 24 May 2008 , 4:25pm
post #8 of 10

SugarPlumFairy echoed my own thoughts. Maybe she'll let you run your own part-time or full-time business out of her shop? then you won't have to invest in your own storefront...just pay her some rent. She'll be making some money out of the deal and helping you at the same time. And you get to work with her!

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 24 May 2008 , 4:36pm
post #9 of 10

I pretty much agree with all the others, they all said what I was going to!
I believe(strongly) that everything happens for a reason, we may not see it right away, but eventually it does show itself.
Hang in there, it will work out somehow!

(((((hugs)))))

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 24 May 2008 , 6:30pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakenicing4u

icon_cry.gif I consider it a blessing that I was able to get my FT job as a cake decorator..... I have learned a lot and I'm a better baker and decorator for what I have learned. I LOVE MY JOB. Today, my bosslady told me that she is so burnt out and she is going to scale back the business, and that by October or so, it won't include me any more. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif She is going to maintain the business as a solo part time business, only accepting certain orders and one to two wedding cakes a week. I understand her decision, really I do... she's always at work and she is missing out on things with her kids and the kids aren't getting any younger. We have just been so incredibly busy that it's hard to do everything in a week and we're running out of room and we're turning away a lot of orders because we just simply can't do anymore.

icon_confused.gificon_cry.gificon_confused.gificon_cry.gif I wish I could talk her out of it or figure something else out.... I LOVE my bosslady and I love working there... but at the same time I have seen her struggle and I know how many hours she puts in and I feel bad every time I leave knowing she'll be there another 5 hours at least.

Just wanted to cry on a friends' shoulder...

I just want to say that I understand where your boss is coming from. I had been burned out for several months when February came along and I found out we were expecting our second child. In the beginning I was going to scale back, dump the catering, and pick and choose my cake orders according to what I wanted to do. Then when I really looked at the situation and all of the time I've missed with my son, who is only 8, I decided being a fulltime mom was the best decision for me and my family. I also believe it was the best decision for my customers....I was so burned out and ready for a change I wasn't giving my customers the time and energy they deserved. I had many people suggest renting out my kitchen or taking on a partner to ease the load but to be honest I was just FINISHED. I couldn't keep going! I stopped operation May 1st (just going into my 4th year) and sold Sweet Confections set up to a fabulous woman who reminds me of me when I first started! It has been a blessing in so many ways! And I want to say that I had to let my SISTER (my right hand person) go, which was very hard to do. I think your attitude towards your boss and her decision is so heartwarming....you seem very understanding about the whole situation. Something will open up for you and you will be just as happy then as you are now. My sister ended up going back to her old job and they gave her a great paying management position with a couple of weeks! I'm sure everything will work out for both of you...just keep your eyes open so you can see the opportunity that will surely come knocking! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%