Sugar Shacks Bubble Tea Straw Stacking Method

Decorating By venefica Updated 29 May 2008 , 6:50pm by KoryAK

venefica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
venefica Posted 24 May 2008 , 3:15am
post #1 of 7

I just got done watching SugarShack's Stacking DVD, and I am wondering how many tiers high can you stack using the bubble tea straws? I usually use dowels, since they are wood they are good and solid. But I like the idea of the bubble tea straws because I hate cutting dowels.... but aren't straws more flimsy? She did 3 tiers in her DVD, is that the max?

6 replies
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 24 May 2008 , 6:45am
post #2 of 7

HEY THERE! i did 4 tiers in the DVD, but I do not see why you could not go higher as long as the cake is level and properly doweled. You could always put a few wooden or plastic dowels in the lower tiers for a really tall cake for good measure!

venefica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
venefica Posted 24 May 2008 , 12:26pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks! That is a good idea.... I love your DVD's!!! They have changed my life!

sugarshack Posted 24 May 2008 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you!

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 29 May 2008 , 5:48pm
post #5 of 7

Me too Sharon!

But Sharon... they aren't as flimsy as they seem, right? Because logically, you have the plastic straw acting as a little support and the shape of a straw standing upright is pretty strong anyway. Then... you have support around the straw 360 degrees by way of dense cake, right? I mean, if you were just supporting a cake in the air over 6 straws, it would be a different thing than straws burried in the middle of a cake, right?

sugarshack Posted 29 May 2008 , 6:29pm
post #6 of 7

right; they are not flimsy at all. IMO they would support the cake even if they were just out in the air, like you say.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 29 May 2008 , 6:50pm
post #7 of 7

I use regular straws, not the bubble tea ones, but I will go 4 tiers high with just them. More than that and I start adding a couple of wooden or plastic ones for extra insurance. Yes, the cake holds up the straws and the straws hold up the next cake. A cylinder is a very strong shape.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%